odor?

amanda509

ive had my pair of geckos for 3 days and they are slowly settling in. the male has defecated only twice that i know of and i havent seen the female defecate at all. the tank smells something horrible! i have reptile carpet, and the top is screen, but even going near the cage it smells. theres only two poops in there! what can i do to help it? can i put car fresheners under the carpet? or maybe line the bottom with baking soda? but i do have a female who is obsessed with going under the carpet no matter what i do...help? i breed chameleons and they NEVER smell, lol.

amanda509

it shouldnt smell hardly at all.
it may have a parasite.
or could have been stressed from the move.
do you have pics of the geckos

i was also thinking possibly parasite, could i treat it without going to a vet? there are no herp vets in my area...i have to ship out my chameleon feces every year to be checked, but it costs a fortune..
here ya go :)

male
amanda509-albums-venus-mars-picture16464-a.jpg

female
amanda509-albums-venus-mars-picture16457-a.jpg

amanda509

He looks pretty skinny in the tale.
i recommend taking a fecal sample to the vet.

i know he's skinny, im feeding him silkworms and superworms until he fattens up, but is there honestly nothing else i can do for the parasites? like i said, there are NO vets in the area, except the animal hospital which will charge a couple hundred dollars for a simple fecal and treatment. i breed chameleons and i send their fecals to an out of area vet every year, but i get a discount for the amount i send, which ive already done this year...and that's pricey too..

ZombiGecko

DragonGecko
skinny and stinky usually means parasite. id try calling any vets near you and see what they say.
and dennis you need to let me know who that vet is lol

amanda509

There are vets.. you just have to look harder.. i found one that does them for 17.00
no vet visit needed.

no, there is one who does herp fecals withint 50 miles of my house and they charge $200 for just a visit. the other vet will not even do a checkup on herps. trust me, ive been breeding chameleons for a couple years, id much rather get a local fecal done on them than send them out.

You're breeding these 2 geckos as well??

i did not breed them, i wanted to get them up to health before they were bred, but they were housed together and she is gravid.

skinny and stinky usually means parasite. id try calling any vets near you and see what they say.
and dennis you need to let me know who that vet is lol

ive done that. only one vet, $200 for a visit...no go.

justindh1

They just may need to get acclimated to their new environment since you have had the geckos only 3 days. I would recommend separating the two geckos. I really don't like reptile carpet and would switch to paper towels or slate but that's my preference. I would remove the bright light and if you want to use a light then get a red bulb. Really you don't need one. Make sure the heat is adequate and around 95+-.

Did you get these 2 geckos from a breeder or just a individual who kept them?

amanda509

They just may need to get acclimated to their new environment since you have had the geckos only 3 days. I would recommend separating the two geckos. I really don't like reptile carpet and would switch to paper towels or slate but that's my preference. I would remove the bright light and if you want to use a light then get a red bulb. Really you don't need one. Make sure the heat is adequate and around 95+-.

Did you get these 2 geckos from a breeder or just a individual who kept them?

i got them from a local who no longer wanted them..there are no local breeders or i would have chosen to get from them. id still like to get a fecal done though just in case, but i will switch to paper towels. i do have an infrared light laying around if that is preferable. thank you soo much.

ChristinaJ

I'm not that far from Altoona Pa and there are a TON of local breeders including myself as well as local vets that are more than willing to treat reptiles...

amanda509

I'm not that far from Altoona Pa and there are a TON of local breeders including myself as well as local vets that are more than willing to treat reptiles...

any vets you recommend? ive contacted all of them in the area for fecals on my chameleons and all of them said no???? and ive put ads upon ads out there looking for geckos from breeders and never got any responses?

ChristinaJ

all you have to do is a google search and you'll be surprised at the amount that comes up, most breeders don't look for customers, you have to look for them. There are also reptile expos around here that you can easily pick up geckos at some pretty good prices.

amanda509

all you have to do is a google search and you'll be surprised at the amount that comes up, most breeders don't look for customers, you have to look for them. There are also reptile expos around here that you can easily pick up geckos at some pretty good prices.

i did a google search, all the vets ive called said no, call them if u dont believe me. and the breeders ive talked to didnt have any for sale. and the closest reptile expo is 3 hours away at cheswick, and i dont have the gas or gas money to go there....

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I have a great relationship with the vet I take my dogs too.
I explained to them how I have geckos and would like to deworm them all annually and they were very understanding.

amanda509

I have a great relationship with the vet I take my dogs too.
I explained to them how I have geckos and would like to deworm them all annually and they were very understanding.

i dont have that. ive never needed a vet for my chameleons.

Visit our friends