OMG! I THINK MY GECKO JUST LOST A HEMIPENE!

mainelygeckos

I was checking on my gex a little while ago as I do everyday and my adult male that's 6 years old had had a prolapse. I don't know when he got it but I checked him yesterday and he was fine. I did the sugar water soak cause I had read about it on here and wanted to try and help him out and while soaking him it seemed to have popped off! This is a picture. I am sure it's his hemipene because that side of his man buldges no longer bulges :( Why did it pop off and why do they get prolapses to begin with? I did not touch it in any way other than to soak him it wasn't touched. I am very distressed about this and thought the soak in sugar water would help it to go back in. I hope he is not in any discomfort at all. He was a little wiggly in the water but not enough to pop it out :/ I have never heard of this happening before

mainelygeckos

neither do I! I am so sad about it but he seems ok..I will keep an eye on him for a few days to make sure he doesn't get infection but wow my first prolapse and this happens..what is up with that :(

JordanAng420

Wow! I've never seen or heard about this happening either, in ANY reptile...I can't even offer a suggestion as to why it might have happened because I have no idea...all I can say is to keep an eye on that particular area and i'm sure you're doing that already. Sorry your first prolapse experiance ended up so crummy!

fOOlsgOld

Ok so I have no ideas to suggest WHY that happened but I do have two comments: OUCH! and .... at least he has another one??:anxious: .... I know not helpful at all but ... DANG! that just sounds PAINFUL :main_lipsrsealed:

I hope and pray he shows no ill effect from his loss.

mainelygeckos

Well I checked on him first thing this morning and his vent looks clean and as if nothing happened. He seems to be acting totally normal atm. That area is flatter thent he other side but no blood or anything..Totally normal. So strange as to why this happened. I handle my leos once a day for a few minutes a day so it couldn't have developed without me seeing it right away. He has seemingly no ill effects from it all all. Yes he still has the other. I was gonna breed him just once next year but under the circumstances I won't be breeding him at all. I would think it would be painful as well but all I can figure is there was something wrong with that one to begin with and i didn't know until it prolapse and fell off. Very strange..thanks all for your comments

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It may be worth it to take him to the vet to see if he really lost it or if it was some kind of discharge or polyp that came off just so you know what condition he's in.

Aliza

BalloonzForU

I agree that looks like his hemi, and taking him to the vet to be looked at might be a good idea just to take a look to see if there was anything going on inside that caused it to fall off so quickly.

He can still breed for you with only one and your reptile vet will be able to advise if it's a good idea or not, depending on the findings.

After thinking about this, I'm wondering if he may have bit it off? The tissue looks too clean and healthy to have just fallen off.

mainelygeckos

bit it off? Why would he bite it off? It was prolapsed when i attempted to soak him but while in the water he did not bite it then just was a little wiggly I asume because he was hurting :( then it was floating in the water! I was like wth!?!? and photographed it and posted here right away. Everything looks %100 normal cept the ball is gone :/ he doesn't even act uncomfortable at all this morning. no redness no leaking of anything no blood. nothing

BalloonzForU

You were watching when it just fell off? WOW

I was thinking that maybe he went back there to clean it off or something and it could have bothered him enough that he did something. Either way it would be a good idea to see what is going on in the vent to cause this.

Last edited:

serialzombie

Ἴκαρος
I woke up one morning to find that one of my males, Hammurabi had the exact same thing happen to him.

Hemipenis just chilling on the floor. No prior signs of prolapse.

jfreels

WAT! I never read a care sheet that said I may have to deal with my leo's hemipenis falling off.....this kind of shocks me.

Visit our friends