Problems with first hatchling of the year...

fishyfan

I got up this morning and checked my incubator and was excited to see something running around. I opened the container to find that the hatchling has what looks like bloody egg yolk still attached to it's stomach. He also hatched out with a stubby tail :(

Is there anything i can do for him at this point? I've removed him from the egg container and placed him in another container lined with a moist paper towel. Even though he's got this thing hanging from his stomach, he is still very active and alert which is a good sign i guess. This is so discouraging considering that out of 10 eggs last year, only 2 hatched and only one of the hatchlings survived. Now the first hatchling of this year hatches out like this :( Pics below...

P4030049.jpg

P4030050.jpg

P4030051.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
To me, the biggest concern with the blood, is whether it's just an attached yolk sac or if it's an umbilical hernia, where the "belly button" opening is so big that the intestines are starting to protrude. If it's a simple yolk sac attachment, it will fall off eventually and the gecko should be fine. The stubby tail looks like a mild deformity, but just may mean that the gecko should ultimately be kept or sold as "pet only". If there is an umbilical hernia, some people have been successful gently pushing the "guts" back in with a cue tip and then sealing up the opening with, believe it or not, superglue. I had one with this last year but it was so tiny that there really wasn't much room to push everything inside and seal it, though I tried. It was also very active but did not survive. Just do your best and see what happens.

Aliza

fishyfan

Thanks for the responses, any help is greatly appreciated.

Is there any way tell whether its a hernia or remnants of the yolk sac? It looks like most of the yolk has come off and what is left is a white/pinkish mass. I have taken pics of what is still attached to him.

baby1.jpg

baby2.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Pick it up, turn it over and look at the belly. If you see a substantial slit and intestines protruding it's not a good sign. If the cord seems to go into the body with no substantial opening it's probably just the yolk sac. I had my first AFT hatch with the yolk attached, I checked and it was just the yolk sac. Now she's eating crickerts like there's no tomorrow.

Aliza

fishyfan

Well, this morning the mass was gone so i don't know whether he reabsorbed it or ate it or what. His clutchmate just hatched out and unfortunately he also has a bit of a stubby tail :(. Did this happen because the temps weren't as stable as they should have been?

hatchling2.jpg

hatchling3.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't think Tony and Gregg are wrong, but that is not the only conclusion to reach (we've discussed this at length in another thread). Some people prefer to eliminate any animal that will degrade/compromise the gene pool; some prefer to give any animal that can survive without pain and have a quality life a chance. I don't know whether the clubbed tail is due to incubation conditions or genetics. If you hatch any more that way, I'd recommend not pairing the parents again and destroying all future eggs as they are laid. There are compelling arguments on both sides of the decision what to do and I don't feel there is a right or wrong. It has a lot to do with one's philosophy of life. The important thing, I think, is to understand the issues and make a decision that goes along with your view on life.

Aliza

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Fair points Aliza, I am definitely in favor of more aggressive culling than many, and I believe Gregg is as well.

Adinar

I don't think Tony and Gregg are wrong, but that is not the only conclusion to reach (we've discussed this at length in another thread). Some people prefer to eliminate any animal that will degrade/compromise the gene pool; some prefer to give any animal that can survive without pain and have a quality life a chance. I don't know whether the clubbed tail is due to incubation conditions or genetics. If you hatch any more that way, I'd recommend not pairing the parents again and destroying all future eggs as they are laid. There are compelling arguments on both sides of the decision what to do and I don't feel there is a right or wrong. It has a lot to do with one's philosophy of life. The important thing, I think, is to understand the issues and make a decision that goes along with your view on life.

Aliza

+1

If the animal can live a full happy and healthy life, why cull it? Someone will be willing to give it a home as just a pet, I'm sure.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
If the animal can live a full happy and healthy life, why cull it? Someone will be willing to give it a home as just a pet, I'm sure.

My reason is good genetic management. I feel it is my responsibility as a breeder to produce only the best, healthiest animals, and to remove weak and deformed animals from the gene pool. It is unfortunate for the individual geckos, but in the long run aggressive culling will result in a stronger gene pool, and fewer deformed hatchlings. If someone I knew well and trusted wanted to adopt a cull I would consider it, but I am not willing to release them to the general public, there are just too many people who want free/cheap breeders and will disregard the "pet-only" caveat.

fishyfan

I paired the same geckos last year and their hatchling hatched out just fine so I don't know what happened here. I'm hoping it doesn't affect the other eggs I have in the incubator at the moment. I do intend on finding these guys a "pet only" home and if I cannot, I guess I will have to keep them. If any others do hatch out with kinked tails, I will destroy what eggs I do have left though...

Thank you all for your input

fishyfan

Just wanted to provide an update...

The jungle that hatched out with the yolk still attached is doing great. He's got a great appetite and is starting to change color:
hatchling11.jpg

The albino super snow doesn't seem to want to eat. He ate 5-6 mealworms about 1.5 weeks ago and hasn't eaten since. I've tried hand feeding and he shows interest but won't strike at the food. Not sure what to do with him :(

Two days ago, a third baby hatched out. He's a healthy mack snow with a normal sized tail. Still waiting on the clutchmate...
hatchling17.jpg

hatchling16.jpg

roger

My reason is good genetic management. I feel it is my responsibility as a breeder to produce only the best, healthiest animals, and to remove weak and deformed animals from the gene pool. It is unfortunate for the individual geckos, but in the long run aggressive culling will result in a stronger gene pool, and fewer deformed hatchlings. If someone I knew well and trusted wanted to adopt a cull I would consider it, but I am not willing to release them to the general public, there are just too many people who want free/cheap breeders and will disregard the "pet-only" caveat.

How is this different than enigmas ??

Visit our friends