question: my first crested gecko

mad_gardner

So I just got my first reptile ever from a friend. She’s a crested gecko and she’s about 2 years old. I’ve been wanting a gecko for a little over a year and I thought that I had done a lot of research about the animals and the care needed for them. I went and picked her up today from my friends house and she rode in her enclosure in the back seat of my car for about 15 minutes. I know that I need to leave her alone to adjust to her new surroundings for about 14 days, so that was my plan. About 5 hours after I had brought her home and set her area up, I walked into my room and she had dropped her tail. I know that she’s stressed and that’s making me super stressed and worried that I won’t be able to make her comfortable and stress free. Can anybody give me some pointers and tips on how to keep Gei safe and comfortable, and both of us stress free?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
She may have been stressed by the move. From what I've heard, most crested geckos found in the wild are without tails and some people even think that the natural state for crested gecko adults is to be tailless (which of course doesn't mean that we should deliberately remove their tails!). I think it's very likely that now that your gecko is in a stable environment, she will calm down and be OK. One thing I learned about crested geckos: when I got my first one in 2006 (I still have him!), I assumed that a 12"x12"x18" enclosure was the right size. I eventually learned that crested geckos do better in something bigger. Today he's in a 18x18x24" enclosure and much happier.

Aliza

mad_gardner

She may have been stressed by the move. From what I've heard, most crested geckos found in the wild are without tails and some people even think that the natural state for crested gecko adults is to be tailless (which of course doesn't mean that we should deliberately remove their tails!). I think it's very likely that now that your gecko is in a stable environment, she will calm down and be OK. One thing I learned about crested geckos: when I got my first one in 2006 (I still have him!), I assumed that a 12"x12"x18" enclosure was the right size. I eventually learned that crested geckos do better in something bigger. Today he's in a 18x18x24" enclosure and much happier.

Aliza
Thank you so much!! Sorry to bother you, but I also read something that when geckos get moved and are stressed they can die from the stress. I’m really worried that this will happen in my situation. Do you know if this is true? and if it is how likely it would be?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It is extremely rare in a healthy gecko. I used to sell at reptile shows at a place that was a 4 hour drive from me. I'd leave Saturday night with my geckos in deli cups, drive halfway, spend the night and drive the rest of the way in the morning. The geckos would be in their deli cups all day at the show and the ones that hadn't gotten sold would then make the 4 hour drive back, still in their deli cups. I never had a single death.

Aliza

Visit our friends