Reptile Rooms

Boaphile cages are absolutely to-die-for. I'm too poor to buy them, otherwise all of my leos would be housed in them. Right now, I'm considering building something similar..

yeah, they are rather pretty and make a very clean look out of many cages. but quite spendy. i think it would be pretty simple to build something similiar with wood and glass or plexi, and way more affordable.

geck

African Gecko Keeper
@ Jumper - Do you mind posting a pic or 2 on your heating for your white rack. I'm about to build a smaller rack out of the white melamine as well and could use some suggestions on heating. Thanks!

jumper

I used flexwatt in 2 different ways on this rack. I had enough room at the top to have a row of 6 qt. so I ran the flexwatt the length of shelf. The 26 qt. tubs have 12 inch pieces.
11-09racks018.jpg

I wanted the warm side to be on the right, and I ran it front to back (makes running the wiring easier).
11-09racks032.jpg

Then I just placed them all in the same spot. I use foil tape under fexwatt and to hold it in place. If you use 2 layers of foil tape to hold down flexwatt you will find tubs slide in and out more on the tape than the flexwatt.
11-09racks034.jpg

After getting a few measurements I soldered together a wiring harness. All negatives going to one side and positives to the other.( I hardwire everything).
11-09racks019.jpg

All of the flexwatt is in its place. I weave the harness into place and if the measurements are right ...each connection will line up with a piece of flexwatt. Then I solder it. Always...ALWAYS! put tape under and on top of open wiring at the connection.
11-09racks037.jpg

I run mine in groups of 9 with a thermostat at the end of the run. That way if you see the temps. have dropped the first cool one in the line will be the bad piece of flexwatt. Change it and your back in buisness.
flexwattandnormals008-1.jpg

Abigailluvsgeckos

This is our first rack for Abby's kids. Put sides and a back on it to retain some resididual heat as we keep house a little cooler.
geckos001-1.jpg

Any suggestions are appreciated.

phoneguy

I run mine in groups of 9 with a thermostat at the end of the run. That way if you see the temps.
Jumper,
Thanks for the pictures. I always see rack pictures but never of the flexwatt. If you dont mind, how and where do you place the thermostat probe? Thanks.
Nice Setup.

jumper

The last piece of flexwatt in the line I make 1 1/2" longer, so that it extends out the back a little. I find I get a closer reading to the 'in tub' temperature by taping it to where the tub just touches the probe. It will be a few degrees cooler in the tub than where you are measuring temps. on flexwatt.
My thermostat says 95 degrees at flexwatt when temp. in tub is 89 degrees.
11-09racks040.jpg

phoneguy

The last piece of flexwatt in the line I make 1 1/2" longer, so that it extends out the back a little. I find I get a closer reading to the 'in tub' temperature by taping it to where the tub just touches the probe. It will be a few degrees cooler in the tub than where you are measuring temps. on flexwatt.
My thermostat says 95 degrees at flexwatt when temp. in tub is 89 degrees.
11-09racks040.jpg

I never thought to make the flexwatt a little longer for the probe. I kept thinking about how the probe would interfere with the tubs. Its the simple things you never think of. Thanks for the info.

jumper

Nice Tony,
Clean, easy access to everything, units breakdown if neccessary. Good place for feeders...is there a door that shuts on them, to use that waterheater heat?
:main_thumbsup::main_thumbsup:

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
It is a neat thread:main_yes: WE NEED MORE PIX!!! I'm re-doing my Reptile Room...I need some ideas :) POST AWAY:D

Really liking those Boaphile cages! Im seriously considering them... I've been on there website, but want to hear from people using them....what are the Pros and Cons?

Oh...and Gothra...your museum like cages are BEAUTIFUL! Love those! But they leave out us kitty owners :(

Fencer04

Long Island Geckos
I decided to turn my basement into my reptile room. I have to find a way to efficiently heat it first so I don't go into the poor house before buying some really cool animals. My goal (besides breeding a ton of Leos) is to breed some monitors. Possibly Ackies or Argus. I have always wanted to keep them.

softballstud_1099

Well Since I started this tread I will add to keep it going. I was told by the Boss aka the wife that I will NOT be building a room in the garage. So I built a better rack to hold my leos. I love seeing what you guys have done to your houses or what you have built to hold your leos. I wish the best to you breeders and to the ones that just have them as pets in 2011.

Brent

Visit our friends