returning to the petstore

shadowdragon619

Finds me a dragon!
so, the leo i bought from ***** on Dec 30th died today. i did everything i could to save him. how would i go about returing the gecko? i am well within the 15 day warranty. this may be morbid, but to i take him in a container to prove he's dead or what? i'm so mad at myself, i should have never bought a leo from there. please help. i'm going back tomorrow.

robin

put him in a rubbermaid container and stick him in the freezer. then call them up and ask them if they want him and if they do bring the container

shadowdragon619

Finds me a dragon!
noo they sure do not take of them...they were on sand, and like 8 geckos in one cage. and all of them had stuck shed. but i just couldnt help myself tho...once i see a leo i like, i gots to have it!

g3ckosr4me

ya but as a lot of people will say you are encouraging them to miscare for the animals...and i hear ya on the cage problem...the one near me has like 5 baby beardies in like a 5 gallon and like 20 leos in a 5 gallon!!!!!!!!its so sad :(

shadowdragon619

Finds me a dragon!
i guess i broke down and bought one from the petstore b/c the next show around me wont be until spring b/c of the weather :( i'm impatient. me want gecko now.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Just remember that as hard as it it so say no, buying a gecko from a store that doesn't properly care for them only encourages their behavior. Return it to the store and then call the corporate customer service number to tell them about it.

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Just remember that as hard as it it so say no, buying a gecko from a store that doesn't properly care for them only encourages their behavior. Return it to the store and then call the corporate customer service number to tell them about it.

Well said. Also, you should contact the district manager. The manager on duty at those stores is suppose to take any lethargic sick animal to the vet. And if they dont, than they get written up. They only get two animal neglect write ups before they get fired and then they cant get hired at another pet store. So, definitely inform the district manager that obviously this animal was neglected and in need of medical attention while at the store. Or give me their phone number and I will do it for you =] '

shadowdragon619

Finds me a dragon!
Well said. Also, you should contact the district manager. The manager on duty at those stores is suppose to take any lethargic sick animal to the vet. And if they dont, than they get written up. They only get two animal neglect write ups before they get fired and then they cant get hired at another pet store. So, definitely inform the district manager that obviously this animal was neglected and in need of medical attention while at the store. Or give me their phone number and I will do it for you =] '

LOL thank you. actually, that is good to know about the write ups :)

Stomlin35

Gamer momma
I got got second gecko from *****. She looked gorgeous and I couldn't help it. Luckily for me though she's thriving and feisty. I was in there the other day though and saw a couple of babies missing their tails, the others with shed stuck everywhere, and what REALLY annoys me is that the care-sheet they supply says something along the lines of "Keep them on a colorful sand substrate to show off their pretty colors".

Way to enlighten the people on how to incorrectly take care of them. :main_thumbsdown:

shadowdragon619

Finds me a dragon!
"Keep them on a colorful sand substrate to show off their pretty colors".

Way to enlighten the people on how to incorrectly take care of them. :main_thumbsdown:

EXACTLY! i got so pissed the first time i saw that the sign said to keep them on colorful sand.

Last edited:

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
You just have to remember that chain pet STORES are in the business of SELLING products, not educating the public. You have to take their care recommendations with a grain of salt.

M

moonieass13

This is exactly why I try to ask all my questions on here instead of going to a pet store... generally its just a bunch of random people doing a half ass job they know nothing about to get a paycheck at the end of the month

got spots?

leo lover
This is exactly why I try to ask all my questions on here instead of going to a pet store... generally its just a bunch of random people doing a half ass job they know nothing about to get a paycheck at the end of the month

NOT the employees. Their is some dumb *** rulebook each pet store has to follow if it is under a chain. Pretty much so that if you go to a store in California the leos need to be taken care of the same ones in New york. That means if a pet store says no calcium dustings no where will have them. I actually heard of a store cheating and dusting crickets =]. Some of the people do care about the animals just not the CEOs. =[

goReptiles

You could make a complaint, but some pet stores have a standard to keep and even if it's not proper care, the individual store won't get in trouble. I worked for a pet store and there's a max cage requirement, and they max it out. The max may be 10 for small leos, so those 8 would be ok and corporate won't do anything. Sand is also on the required substrate for that one pet store, so if that's the case with the store you went to, corporate probably won't do anything. Stuck shed, missing tails, etc, isn't their concern either as long as the gecko still appears ok.

I will admit I have put in a number of complaints for the pet store i used to work for, but that was when i knew the maxes and whatnot for the reptiles. For example, they had 4 medium sized iguanas in a quarter sized enclosure. Next time i went in, they'd been moved. Made several complaints on no food or moldy food in crested gecko enclosure, as well as no water, TONS of poo, and over the max ferrets in the ferret cage. Even took pics ton my camera phone for the ferret deal. Never went back in after that bc i took the pics in front of the camera and figured it was in my best interest not to go back in since i had worked there and they knew it was me complaining about the reptile care.

in some cases it is the employees who give bad care info, but generally they don't have a say in how the animals are cared for in terms of substrate, number per enclosure, and whatnot. We tried to tell the GM that sand was bad, but he made us stick to the guidebook on making enclosure setups, and using sand was required.

P

privatejoker

Take it back and don't buy anything from them again. If you want to buy a gecko look on this site or others. There are plenty for sale and most people take care of their animals. I never bought a reptile through a chain store, always at shows.

Visit our friends