Ron Tremper says you can house 4-6 adults in a 28 qt tub.Would you agree?

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King

SFgeckos

Here is the link of his "housing conditions" directly off his website:

http://www.leopardgecko.com/caging

Personally, I just can't see myself keeping my animals under such conditions but that's just me. If they were another species of animal (with fur) there would be much more outcry- even laboratory research animals have strict husbandry guidelines.

Jon

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
I don't feel there is anything wrong with RT, Garricks, or anyone elses housing. I know that Garrick uses the EXACT same racks for his leos as i do. Not to mention, Kelli, Steve, Marcia, and others all use the AP Iris racks with great success.

robin

I don't feel there is anything wrong with RT, Garricks, or anyone elses housing. I know that Garrick uses the EXACT same racks for his leos as i do. Not to mention, Kelli, Steve, Marcia, and others all use the AP Iris racks with great success.
i know that kelli keeps her animals individually and on a substrate. APs are great i have them myself but 4-6 in a blankets box is rather cramped.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
28 quart sterlite has about the same floor space as a 20 gal tank. I do not consider that adequate for 4-6 adult animals. I know what his deal is with the no substrate, it's to make cleaning easier(use a shop vac to vacuum out poop) and I don't really see an issue with that I'm not going to bash anyone's husbandry preferences, but fact is keeping that many adults in that size container seems a bit cramped to me. I'm pro-individual housing myself, and don't see the point in cramming animals in group boxes if you have the space to provide individual housing, the animals will do better by themselves and are easier to monitor.

Reborn

I know this isnt the best thread to ask this but in that pic on how RT he houses his groups in the back is that all poop? it says nothing on substrate and kinda looks like poop to me...and its alot of poop even for 4-5 geckos. Specailly since adults normally eat every other day and same with pooping. maybe i'm wrong? Maybe i shouldnt have asked? sorry to the OP if its off topic or if i shouldnt have asked.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I know this isnt the best thread to ask this but in that pic on how RT he houses his groups in the back is that all poop? it says nothing on substrate and kinda looks like poop to me...and its alot of poop even for 4-5 geckos. Specailly since adults normally eat every other day and same with pooping. maybe i'm wrong? Maybe i shouldnt have asked? sorry to the OP if its off topic or if i shouldnt have asked.

Looks like fecal material to me, perhaps mixed with some lay box substrate. Not exactly very sanitary.

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
28 quart sterlite has about the same floor space as a 20 gal tank. I do not consider that adequate for 4-6 adult animals. I know what his deal is with the no substrate, it's to make cleaning easier(use a shop vac to vacuum out poop) and I don't really see an issue with that I'm not going to bash anyone's husbandry preferences, but fact is keeping that many adults in that size container seems a bit cramped to me. I'm pro-individual housing myself, and don't see the point in cramming animals in group boxes if you have the space to provide individual housing, the animals will do better by themselves and are easier to monitor.

I totally can see your point but maybe i should explain a lil further. a 1.3 group during breeding season isn't unreasonable. Now do we know if RT or whomever we talk about takes out those geckos into smaller groups or individual tubs we don't know w/o directly talking to the breeder.

It all boils down to personal opinion and the size of your collection. Say you're attempting to prove something out het or non het Tremper. I'm a firm believer that as a space saver doing a small breeding colony would be a great way to go.

Keith N

If you read at the top of the webpage it says: "Here's our typical caging set-up for adult leopards. For breeding we house one male with 3-4 females" in reading that you can take it either way as Ryan says.

Reborn

Looks like fecal material to me, perhaps mixed with some lay box substrate. Not exactly very sanitary.

I thought as much... im not for or against the 28qt tub but i am against living is filth. I'm kinda shocked if that is all poop. I guess housing boils down to person perfrence.

Visit our friends