slitting an eggs if it is over due *photos* *graphic*

robin

THIS IS AN EDUCATIONAL POST

while i was at kelli's she had a gecko that was way overdue to hatch so she decided to slit the egg. the scissors she is using are curved cuticle scissors.

the first few photos are of her cutting the egg and making a flap big enough for the baby to come out of. when you poke the eggs aim the curved tip up. liquid is good, green or yellow isnt, white may not be so bad.

ImportedPhotos00067.jpg

ImportedPhotos00068.jpg

ImportedPhotos00069.jpg

ImportedPhotos00071.jpg

gently remove the egg from around the baby if it is still attached to the umbillicus leave it attached but you must take the sack off from around the baby. it is kind gooey and mucusy when you are doing this gently stroke the back of the baby. sometimes it will take them a minute or so to wake up good and other times they run right out of their sack.

ImportedPhotos00074.jpg

ImportedPhotos00075.jpg

ImportedPhotos00076.jpg

ImportedPhotos00083.jpg

after this point you can see the egg is still attached. once he is "awake" put him in a very well misted down shoebox container eggs attached and all

if this is done too early the baby can die.

Last edited:

eyelids

Bells Rule!
That's something I've always dreaded having to do... Thanks for the great post...

Btw, that baby is awesome... :main_yes:

ariana

robin,
this is one of the best posts youve posted!! (excluding the leo pics; im a sucker for those)
educational yes, but captivating at the same time!!

thank you robin and kelli for this!

robin

robin,
this is one of the best posts youve posted!! (excluding the leo pics; im a sucker for those)
educational yes, but captivating at the same time!!

thank you robin and kelli for this!

i just took the photos. kelli did all the work :)

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
Thanks gals.

Now when you say way over due how many days is that?

Had the clutchmate already hatched? or was Kelli counting days from lay relitive to inc. temp.

robin

Thanks gals.

Now when you say way over due how many days is that?

Had the clutchmate already hatched? or was Kelli counting days from lay relitive to inc. temp.

one had already hatched and it had been several days but if it has been a significant time after the expected hatch date this is something you can do as well but wait more than a week. its not to be used to hatch geckos but rather in case you need to aid the gecko in hatching after a significant time past hatch date or the sibling has already hatches. its kinda rare to have to slit eggs.

Last edited:

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
she is doing great! she is a total hog! getting big! about 15 grams already

She's going to be a big girl if she's anything like mom.;)

Great post! I've had to cut a few eggs and it's never fun. It's nice to see that it had a good ending. Love that baby, too!

sauroid

great informative post.
can another tool be used in case a curved cuticle scissor isn't available?

Landen

LSReptiles
I cut one this year, I decided to cut it about 10 days after the clutch mate had hatched. Unfortunately this one didn't make it full term. If you do cut eggs open and the hatchling isn't still alive, be prepared to see undeveloped hatchlings. But keep your fingers crossed it's good !!

Visit our friends