Staying in the Moist Hide?

C

Condawg

Well, I've heard of leos staying in the dry hide for days at a time when you first get them, but mine has been staying in the moist hide for around 11 or 12 hours.

I understand that this is because it's a nice dark place for him to stay until he's settled, but could all that humidity do anything to him?
I can't even imagine how hot and humid it is in there...

Regardless, I'd like to work on getting him used to me... Putting my hand in there, familiarizing him with my scent...
Is there any way to coax him out, without forcing him out?

Thanks

Zynx_Keekeio

My little girl hides in her moist hide ALL THE TIME, the only time she doesn't is when I first put her back in or when she is shedding which is funny,lol XD

C

Condawg

My little girl hides in her moist hide ALL THE TIME, the only time she doesn't is when I first put her back in or when she is shedding which is funny,lol XD

Hahaha. That's pretty ironic.

So, it's fine for him to stay in there?

I was pretty sure nothing was wrong with it, just trying to be careful =]

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
All of our Leos are set up the same way in racks, some prefer the dry hide and some prefer the moist hide. As long as your temps are correct everything's probably fine.

C

Condawg

All of our Leos are set up the same way in racks, some prefer the dry hide and some prefer the moist hide. As long as your temps are correct everything's probably fine.

Well, see, there's another issue...

I was told that the warm side should be between 87 or so - 90 F.

It's only at 80.9. =\

Is there any way to fix that?
I'm using a warming pad or whatever it's called, under the tank...
Thanks

Lena

I question all things.
Con, make sure the heating pad is sticking to the bottom of the tank, the adhesive might not be good anymore.

Try taping it directly to the bottom, should help the temperature go up a bit.

If you're still having trouble, let me know and I'll bring over my second heating pad for you to use in conjunction with the first. ;)

C

Condawg

Con, make sure the heating pad is sticking to the bottom of the tank, the adhesive might not be good anymore.

Try taping it directly to the bottom, should help the temperature go up a bit.

If you're still having trouble, let me know and I'll bring over my second heating pad for you to use in conjunction with the first. ;)

Ahh, thanks Lena.
Didn't think of taping it -- that worked. Now it's averaging around 87.

Also, I got him to come out of the hide.
There was a bunch of stuff all over the paper towel, so I took out everything to clean it, put the wet hide on my bed, and he came out.
I walked around the house with him in my hands for around 15 minutes... I think he's starting to get used to me =]

C

Condawg

Alright, now that I've got it taped, the temperature is staying up -- But it's too high.
I actually saw it up at 105. I unplugged the heating pad for a few minutes and plugged it back in, and now a half hour later it's 88.
Is there any way to guarantee that it doesn't get too hot?

Lena

I question all things.
If you can't keep it cool in your room look for something like this:
pPETS-3760022t400.jpg

You can find them pretty cheap. Just so you know what you're looking for.

C

Condawg

If you can't keep it cool in your room look for something like this:
pPETS-3760022t400.jpg

You can find them pretty cheap. Just so you know what you're looking for.

Alright.

As you instructed, keeping the room cool (fan on) works fine, but last night when I had my fan on, I was freezing, so I had to shut it off, and I forgot to turn it back on when I woke up.

But, if that becomes a problem, I'll look into one of those.
Thanks

K

KYUI

What if the gecko doesn't go into the moist hide?

Is it possible that she doesn't know what a moist hide is? Because it is a new tupperware that I put into her tank.

G

Geck-O

Put more subrate where the heating pad is. It should help the temp go down a bit

Visit our friends