Thoughts and opinions on Temp Guns

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
I am considering purchasing an Infrared Temperature Gun in the near future to quickly and accurately obtain information on my enclosure temps. What are your thoughts on these, and could anyone possibly recommend a reputable place to buy a Temp Gun? Thanks.

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
I've recently been getting fed up with the cords of digital thermometers. And the fact that you have to push ridiculously hard for them to stick on the glass. Well, at least I have to.

Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.

touch 13

Euble_Rhac_Gekko
So these are suitable for herps?
I have contractors running up and down the halls of my retirement home constantly, and they always have one tucked in on their sides. The Fish guys come in once a week to clean the tank for the residents and they use one as well.

theCREECH

I like it sometimes.

It doesn't read well on glass. It seems the glass refects too much of the light beam. I can put my hand on the glass and tell that it's hotter than my hand, but the temp gun will tell me it's only 75... weird.

Also paper towel losses heat fast so if it's not directly pressing down on the heated surface it will tell you that it's colder than it really is. Again, when I push down on the surface where the usually is, it feels warmer than my hand, but the temp gun will only read 75 or so.

Other than those two surfaces it seems pretty acurate. I would probably read a tile or rock pretty well with good accuracy.

Just my two cents

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
Also paper towel losses heat fast so if it's not directly pressing down on the heated surface it will tell you that it's colder than it really is. Again, when I push down on the surface where the usually is, it feels warmer than my hand, but the temp gun will only read 75 or so.

Well that could be an issue, because I use paper towel for my substrate. Are you saying that a temp gun cannot give accurate readings with paper towel? If so, has the digital probe thermometer that I've been using for more than a year now (reads 90-95 degrees at all times) been giving me inaccurate readings? Or is it just the temp gun that has a problem with paper towel? I'm sorry for asking all this questions, I'm just kind of confused.

theCREECH

Well that could be an issue, because I use paper towel for my substrate. Are you saying that a temp gun cannot give accurate readings with paper towel? If so, has the digital probe thermometer that I've been using for more than a year now (reads 90-95 degrees at all times) been giving me inaccurate readings? Or is it just the temp gun that has a problem with paper towel? I'm sorry for asking all this questions, I'm just kind of confused.

I think your thermometer is more correct, than the temp gun. I find that the paper towel is never directly on the heat. So when I point the gun and check the temp it's a little low. But my digital probe reads 90-95. The probe is on the paper towel weighted down so that my temps are more acurate.

I was just trying to say, that paper towel doesn't rest directly on the heat, it always creates a gap and losses heat. The heat gun on paper towel doesn't give an accurate reading.

brillobee

Glittering Geckos
Glass causes an inaccurate reading. You can't zap it through the glass, you have to take the lid off and read it that way. (it can't read through mesh and wires either) It has to be clear between the gun and the surface you want the temp of.

Visit our friends