Upset Acl surgery

roger

Just found out my lab needs acl surgery Ugg.Im really upset.Along with his pain comes a $4000 bill.Vet says once that heals his other acl could go because they compensate while they are healing the:eek: other leg.

wakeskate420

So sorry to hear that :( I also have a lab and love her to death, I couldn't imagine what you're going though, I hope everything works out for you and your pup

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Aw that sucks... what happened that he tore the ACL? $4000 for acl surgery sounds kinda overpriced imo. It's not THAT complex a surgery, heck it's barely internal when it comes to acl... why so much? How much do you trust your vet? Did the vet suggest any pain meds in the meanwhile (I hope not)?

roger

Aw that sucks... what happened that he tore the ACL? $4000 for acl surgery sounds kinda overpriced imo. It's not THAT complex a surgery, heck it's barely internal when it comes to acl... why so much? How much do you trust your vet? Did the vet suggest any pain meds in the meanwhile (I hope not)?

unfortunately yeah that is the going rate here in canada.I have a great vet but he doesnt do surgery.I received 4 quotes all around that price range.yeah hes on pain meds right now.I have friends who also paid roughly that amount.

JordanAng420

I am coming up with a response to all this...please give me a little bit because there's a lot I have to say and there are some things that have been said that is just complete bs...

BGalloway

Have you signed up your lab for pet insurance or care credit? Some insurance plans don't give a discount at the hospital and will reimburse you later, but it is better to get some money back eventually than having it all out of pocket. $4000 might sound like a lot, but humans have the benefit of insurance companies to defray surgical expenses, remember what you're looking at is the total cost and not just co-pay.

Good luck with the surgery and please follow your veterinarian's advice especially when it comes to crate rest and pain meds.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Down side to most insurance plans is that they don't cover pre-existing issues. Care credit is more of a creditline tho.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Im sorry Roger :( WOW that IS a LOT of cash! I wonder if it would be worth it to drive here or fly here with your dog and get his surgery here? Just a thought...it's probably a wash, but just trying to throw some ideas out there...Im sorry, thats a lot of money...I think I better look into pet ins. for my dog now...I dont want to be in that position where she needs care that I cant afford :main_no:

JordanAng420

Roger,
First of all, sorry to hear that your pooch injured his knee...large breed dogs are very much pre-disposed to these types of injury, and anyone who owns a large breed dog should be ready to accept the financial responsibility, as it is usually much more expensive annually than owning a cat or a chihuahua. I thank you very much for being a responsible pet owner and dealing with the situation, rather than throwing your hands up in the air.

That's really quite a spot to be in Roger. Here in my area it only costs about $2000 for acl surgery. Pain meds aren't always a good idea tho with these types of injuries. You usually like the dog to feel some of the pain so they are self limiting on that leg just in case it isn't a complete tear but only a partial. If it's only a partial tear not being self limiting can obviously cause more damage. Did they x-ray or anything to determine if it was a complete or partial tear? Honestly imo (even if against the vet's recommendation, unless this is bran new and the dog is in serious obvious pain) I would seriously limit the pain meds as much as you can. How long has your dog had this injury? rear leg I assume? How old is your dog? How much does he weigh? What pain meds did they suggest if I may ask? Most vets I know usually don't like putting acl injuries on pain meds because of the self limiting thing. In my years working with dogs acl and hypothyroid are 2 of the most commonly seen health issues and most vets often don't treat the acl injury properly. Hopefully your vet is smarter than them :) Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to help if I can.

I disagree. Firstly, it has to be a back leg, because there is no such thing as an acl in a front leg. XRays wouldn't show anything, as it's not a problem with the bones, it's a problem with a ligament. Most of the time the dog has to be sedated for the vet to physically palpate the ligament to see if it has "draw" (it moves). I see where you want to go with the idea of refusing to give pain meds, but that's not the way to go about it. The dog has a seriously painful injury to it's knee. Not only is it compleatly inhumane to deny pain medication that is prescribed by a doctor to be given on a regular or as needed basis, it is compleatly unneccesarry. And most vets DO prescribe pain medication for these types of injuries...most legitamate vets anyways. You can't EXPECT the animal to rationalize "Hey, I feel pain. Maybe I should go lay down." It's up to the owner to make sure the animal is rested and confined, not the dog.

The way to make sure your dog is recovered properly is to CAGE REST him pretty much at all times. He goes out to go pee and poop three or four times a day, then he goes back in his cage. No stress, no running around, nobody plays with him. Keep the dog as LEAN as possible without becoming alarmingly thin...the heavier and more overweight he is, the bigger the chance he has of throwing his other leg out. And GIVE him the pain medication as prescribed by your DVM. He needs it, and with proper confinement and restriction of activity, there's no reason not to give it to him.

Good luck, Roger...if you need some resources or more information, please feel free to contact me...this is what I specialize in.

Last edited:

roger

Roger,
First of all, sorry to hear that your pooch injured his knee...large breed dogs are very much pre-disposed to these types of injury, and anyone who owns a large breed dog should be ready to accept the financial responsibility, as it is usually much more expensive annually than owning a cat or a chihuahua. I thank you very much for being a responsible pet owner and dealing with the situation, rather than throwing your hands up in the air.

I disagree. Firstly, it has to be a back leg, because there is no such thing as an acl in a front leg. XRays wouldn't show anything, as it's not a problem with the bones, it's a problem with a ligament. Most of the time the dog has to be sedated for the vet to physically palpate the ligament to see if it has "draw" (it moves). I see where you want to go with the idea of refusing to give pain meds, but that's not the way to go about it. The dog has a seriously painful injury to it's knee. Not only is it compleatly inhumane to deny pain medication that is prescribed by a doctor to be given on a regular or as needed basis, it is compleatly unneccesarry. And most vets DO prescribe pain medication for these types of injuries...most legitamate vets anyways. You can't EXPECT the animal to rationalize "Hey, I feel pain. Maybe I should go lay down." It's up to the owner to make sure the animal is rested and confined, not the dog.

The way to make sure your dog is recovered properly is to CAGE REST him pretty much at all times. He goes out to go pee and poop three or four times a day, then he goes back in his cage. No stress, no running around, nobody plays with him. Keep the dog as LEAN as possible without becoming alarmingly thin...the heavier and more overweight he is, the bigger the chance he has of throwing his other leg out. And GIVE him the pain medication as prescribed by your DVM. He needs it, and with proper confinement and restriction of activity, there's no reason not to give it to him.

Good luck, Roger...if you need some resources or more information, please feel free to contact me...this is what I specialize in.

Thanks for the advice from someone who knows what they are talking about.Yes I am crating him.he was brought up with a crate to help potty train him.he goes in Monday for a consult.Ill keep u posted

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Thanks for the advice from someone who knows what they are talking about.Yes I am crating him.he was brought up with a crate to help potty train him.he goes in Monday for a consult.Ill keep u posted

Thanks... that was an uncalled for jab. I do know what I'm talking about thank you, and if you want to keep your dog crated for 20 hours a day insted of considering other ideas, that's your choice. Good luck with your dog.

JordanAng420

How do you expect an animal to recover from an acl tear without cage rest and pain meds?

You know what, nevermind.

Sorry for going OT, mods.

roger

Thanks... that was an uncalled for jab. I do know what I'm talking about thank you, and if you want to keep your dog crated for 20 hours a day insted of considering other ideas, that's your choice. Good luck with your dog.

Umm that wasnt a jab.If i wanted to give u a jab I wouldve been more to the point !!Thats not what I meant .sorry if u took it that way.Just meant she's in the profession thats all.

Last edited:

Visit our friends