acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't think it's possible to tell you all you need to know in a thread on a forum. Google "leopard gecko care" if you haven't already and read care sheets. Also check out the articles in Gecko Time (www.geckotime.com/archives). There are articles about other geckos besides leopard geckos but there are quite a few beginner articles. The link above has a list of all the articles, and if you click on the article title it will take you to that article. Once you've done some reading, ask a more specific question and I'm sure people here will be glad to help.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
UVB: permissible, but not necessary for leopard geckos. Since they're nocturnal it's hard to determine how much they're actually basking and benefitting from the light. It's very possible to provide all their calcium and vitamin D3 needs with supplements.

Gutloading: The feeders are only as nutritious as the nutrients they eat. Gutloading means providing feeders with a good, nutritious diet (that's not too high in protein because too much protein ingested by the leopard gecko can lead to gout) before they are fed to the gecko. The way I do this is to keep my feeders on a substrate of high quality powdered grain (I prefer powdered because otherwise it's hard to separate the feeders from the gut load) so they can eat when they want. Feeders go through a cycle of ingesting nutrition, excreting and then needing more nutrition. I have read that the best time to feed them to the gecko is when they're at the top of that cycle (taken in the most nutrition and not utilized it yet). My philosophy is that if I keep my feeders in the gut load and feed the gecko, some of the feeders will be at that stage. It's worked for the last 17 years!

Aliza

BuddyBearHamster

I am still learning about geckos, because I have only owned an Axolotl, a hamster, some bettas, and some frogs. I have a 20 gallon long tank sitting around now.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Temp: the hot side should be in the low 90'sF on the floor (measured with a digital thermometer with probe). In my opinion, as long as the ambient temp (in the room where the gecko lives) is such that humans are comfortable, that should be fine. If the gecko is cold, it can go into its warm hide and be warm. A lot of people add all sorts of ceramic heat emitters and heat lamps and end up drying out the air in the enclosure and dehydrating the gecko.

Humidity: I also don't worry about this too much. It's not clear to me how much time leopard geckos in the wild spend in more humid crevices. I provide a humid hide, I don't mist the gecko or its cage and I don't worry about the humidity otherwise.

Aliza

BuddyBearHamster

ok. what are your opinions on shopping for leopard geckos at reptile expos? IF I get one, I am thinking about getting it there.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's the article I wrote for Gecko Time about attending and shopping at a reptile expo (which I recommend):

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have found that even though the under tank heater (UTH) is supposed to take 6 hours to come to full strength, it seems to actually take a few days. I don't think it's the end of the world if things are still changing in that department. I think the enclosure should be ready to put the gecko in when you bring it home. The day before should be good enough, just keep an eye on the heat.

Aliza

BuddyBearHamster

Here's the article I wrote for Gecko Time about attending and shopping at a reptile expo (which I recommend):

Aliza
how far in advance should an
I have found that even though the under tank heater (UTH) is supposed to take 6 hours to come to full strength, it seems to actually take a few days. I don't think it's the end of the world if things are still changing in that department. I think the enclosure should be ready to put the gecko in when you bring it home. The day before should be good enough, just keep an eye on the heat.

do you think, that I should start getting supplies a month before, so I can have everything ready? If of course, my parents let me... working in them though.

Aliza

Visit our friends