What is it with people!?! - Beware - Rant

lora01fl

So I understand wanting a pet of any kind, but I'm beginning to think that there should be some kind of screening in place prior to people owning one.

Maybe I am feeling particularly snarky today but...

1. Why the heck do people waste time taking pictures and posting to forums about their sick animal? If you feel the need to take a picture and post it to a forum asking for help, take it to a vet! Honestly decide "is this life worth more than money to me" and act on that feeling. Waiting around for answers to your post only prolongs the suffering of the animal. Then consider not having pets if their life isn't worth the cost of a vet visit.

I took my son's giant albino female to the vet and spent $300 trying to make her comfortable and ultimately putting her down when we really, really could have used the money elsewhere. I could have let her bleed to death, stuck her in the freezer or otherwise disposed of her but her life meant something to both of us. All told we had several thousand dollars tied up in her during her life with us, but she meant so much more than money to us. I would do it the same way every single time. We did not come here with pictures of her bleeding, we rushed to the vet.

2. Why don't people do their research before getting a pet (any pet)? Asking about housing, feeding, lighting, heating, etc after purchasing the pet just doesn't make sense to me. With the internet search capacity and the *gasp* library readily available, you should know how to take care of something long before you buy it.

3. Why waste everyone's time asking questions you do not want to know the answers to? If you think you, your kid, husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, pet store or guy down the street knows better than the people on a specialized forum who are going to answer you...don't ask. Oh, and you can be sure the answer you didn't want to hear isn't going to change if you ask the same question again later.

4. Why do those same people breed their animals? Sick, poorly bred, whatever...let's breed it and make money! Just because a top breeder with stellar bloodlines can ask top dollar for their animals does not mean that you are even going to be able to give your babies away. You are not going to make any money without investing time, passion, and mostly money into your breeding projects. You are going to lose way more money than you will make. Same goes for every captive bred animal on the planet.

I admit, I do not know it all! That is why I come here looking for others who share my passion for these animals. I am not a big breeder, I do not know the ins and outs of genetics, and I am willing to ask for help. I'm also willing to ask what others consider dumb questions so that I may learn from people who I acknowledge know more than I do.

I came here looking for help with a hatchling I wasn't prepared for mentally. I had everything you could possibly need for it, but I didn't think the egg would hatch. Big surprise when it did and all of a sudden, my mind is seven kinds of confused and my biggest question was (wait for it)..."how do you know it shed, does it change colors?" Really, that was my only question?? Right, so I have leos who shed, cresteds that shed, even a beardie who sheds...did I really not know this!?! Everyone asks silly questions, be prepared for the fallout (everyone here was good to me, thank you) and deal with it. Do the aw shucks, dunce moment and move on!

People are getting feisty and reluctant about answering questions because they are being argued with on a regular basis. Those same people are not going to continue to answer new poster's questions because as much as they want to help, they don't need another argument. You can't tell who honestly wants help and who is going to argue either.

If you got this far, thank you...Rant over.

Lora

roger

So I understand wanting a pet of any kind, but I'm beginning to think that there should be some kind of screening in place prior to people owning one.

Maybe I am feeling particularly snarky today but...

1. Why the heck do people waste time taking pictures and posting to forums about their sick animal? If you feel the need to take a picture and post it to a forum asking for help, take it to a vet! Honestly decide "is this life worth more than money to me" and act on that feeling. Waiting around for answers to your post only prolongs the suffering of the animal. Then consider not having pets if their life isn't worth the cost of a vet visit.

I took my son's giant albino female to the vet and spent $300 trying to make her comfortable and ultimately putting her down when we really, really could have used the money elsewhere. I could have let her bleed to death, stuck her in the freezer or otherwise disposed of her but her life meant something to both of us. All told we had several thousand dollars tied up in her during her life with us, but she meant so much more than money to us. I would do it the same way every single time. We did not come here with pictures of her bleeding, we rushed to the vet.

2. Why don't people do their research before getting a pet (any pet)? Asking about housing, feeding, lighting, heating, etc after purchasing the pet just doesn't make sense to me. With the internet search capacity and the *gasp* library readily available, you should know how to take care of something long before you buy it.

3. Why waste everyone's time asking questions you do not want to know the answers to? If you think you, your kid, husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, pet store or guy down the street knows better than the people on a specialized forum who are going to answer you...don't ask. Oh, and you can be sure the answer you didn't want to hear isn't going to change if you ask the same question again later.

4. Why do those same people breed their animals? Sick, poorly bred, whatever...let's breed it and make money! Just because a top breeder with stellar bloodlines can ask top dollar for their animals does not mean that you are even going to be able to give your babies away. You are not going to make any money without investing time, passion, and mostly money into your breeding projects. You are going to lose way more money than you will make. Same goes for every captive bred animal on the planet.

I admit, I do not know it all! That is why I come here looking for others who share my passion for these animals. I am not a big breeder, I do not know the ins and outs of genetics, and I am willing to ask for help. I'm also willing to ask what others consider dumb questions so that I may learn from people who I acknowledge know more than I do.

I came here looking for help with a hatchling I wasn't prepared for mentally. I had everything you could possibly need for it, but I didn't think the egg would hatch. Big surprise when it did and all of a sudden, my mind is seven kinds of confused and my biggest question was (wait for it)..."how do you know it shed, does it change colors?" Really, that was my only question?? Right, so I have leos who shed, cresteds that shed, even a beardie who sheds...did I really not know this!?! Everyone asks silly questions, be prepared for the fallout (everyone here was good to me, thank you) and deal with it. Do the aw shucks, dunce moment and move on!

People are getting feisty and reluctant about answering questions because they are being argued with on a regular basis. Those same people are not going to continue to answer new poster's questions because as much as they want to help, they don't need another argument. You can't tell who honestly wants help and who is going to argue either.

If you got this far, thank you...Rant over.

Lora

You do realize there is a rant section !

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
lora01fl said:

I couldn't agree more with these three particular statements. Nothing makes me ever more frustrated or sad than when someone is asking for help about breeding geckos/obtaining a new gecko, hasn't done any research whatsoever, and then acts completely obstinate when faced with an onslaught of people who know better.

Excellent rant!

Dimidiata

I came here looking for help with a hatchling I wasn't prepared for mentally. I had everything you could possibly need for it, but I didn't think the egg would hatch. Big surprise when it did and all of a sudden, my mind is seven kinds of confused and my biggest question was (wait for it)..."how do you know it shed, does it change colors?"Lora

Got to be honest here, i saw that question and thought, "smart" not many people seem to think about their young leos shedding, and hey, you got good answers. That thread will be available to the general public/internet and may help someone one day. Id say it was a good question(i belive i asked the same thing XD). Love the rant, beautiful poetry.

Visit our friends