What is the best incubation substrate?

geckoeyez

Hello, I was wondering what is the best thing to use in the incubator for your eggs or what do you guys use? I will have eggs later this year and need to decide on the hatching substrate. Thanks!!

jermh1

hello
I was doing some net surfing and found a product (Repashy SuperHatch Incubation Media) it is calcined clay. I buy this stuff by the 50lb bag for my plants in the spring time. I was thinking of trying it if anyone out there could varify it works. It seems as if it would be good, it has quite a bit more mass than perlite and vermiculite, so I am guessing it would hold temps super stable.

O now I am using perlite, and have not had a problem, so far I have 22 eggs going, and 8 hatched in the past 2 months, with none lost yet.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have been using perlite with a .8 to 1 ratio water to perlite (don't miss that decimal point) and it has worked well.

Aliza

janjgeckos

Im trying perlite for the first time this year and set a few cups up in the bator. I used the same .8 to 1 ratio and the perlite still felt really dry. Is it normal for it to be like that or should I use more water? I always used vermiculite in the past with great sucsess

AvandisFifth187

This past season I used 30g of peat, 30g of Hatchrite, and 40g of water. Worked nicely, had a few mold issues. I'm going to be experimenting with SIM incubation this season, so I'll let you know how well that works.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Im trying perlite for the first time this year and set a few cups up in the bator. I used the same .8 to 1 ratio and the perlite still felt really dry. Is it normal for it to be like that or should I use more water? I always used vermiculite in the past with great sucsess

Yes, the perlite does look dry. There is usually some small amount of condensation along the sides or at the bottom. I had an 85% hatch rate for leos with it last season.

Aliza

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Vermiculite has proven to work best for me. Any substrate your getting just ensure its not chemically enhanced for plants. Those chemicals and hormones should not be aerated during incubation.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Perlite for hatching

Perlite should LOOK dry because it is a
drainage/aireation material made from lava rock.
Info per Hoffman Company...
Makers of both Perlite and Vermiculite.
Vermiculite being to retain moisture.
The reason Perlite is a better choice
(for less error in the moisture content)
is that it does not let your egg set in water
it surrounds it with humidity.
This comes from NO holes in the lid of your hatch
container, and the perlite properties of aireaition
and drainage.
Somewhat the same principal as the SIM containers,
which IMO should do an excellent job.
And I realize many people have other successful
methods and materials....some being with vermiculite.
What works for you that makes you satisfied
with the percentages will be your
preference of course.
But knowing a bit about why some are
not hatching IMO is worth the read.
Take care. HJ

Visit our friends