whats the best thermostat to use?

enigmaslim

I'm about to finish my second cage, both are 4ftx2ftx2ft, but the second cage will be divided into 6 seperate cages. I also plann to make a smaller cage for hatclings and turn a cooler into a incubater(wine bottle cooler) I seen on Big Apple Herp the BAH-1000SC for $40 and the Herp Power for $120, what are some of the best Therm's out there and where can you get them from. Also what are some of the negatives with a low budget therm that has happened to you?

sammer021486

I personally have used the Zoo Med 500R and the Ranco. I have liked both, but when it comes down to it the Ranco is a better thermostat and is more versatile. The Zoo Med only has 2 outlets and can only support 500W, it is also analog, where as the Ranco or Johnson are digital, supports 1500W and can have as many out lets as you want, theorectically speaking.

For an incubator I would recommend the herp stat or helix thermostats, both have good recommendations, but I heard more positive reviews from the herp stats then helix.

If you want to be spending $120 on the herp power I would recommend going for the Herp Stat instead it is $109.

As for the BAH1000 I have not read very many good reviews for it.

If you are good with wiring and have the parts laying around, you can purchase unwired Rancos for $50US from www.pexsupply.com. I ordered unwired Rancos because I needed to wire them for my shelf unit, but if you do not have the parts laying around or not good with wiring, then I would recommend buying the wired Rancos from www.reptilebasics.com

You can PM for a supplier that sells herp stats with free shipping.

robin

i use helix and johnsons however i have heard great things about herpstat and ranco

I use a herp stat 2 and haven't ever had any issues from it. I also have had Johnson thermostats which are very dependable as well. The Johnson and ranco are basically the same thermostat and cost the same. The only difference in the two is the Johnson has the option to heat or cool where the Ranco is a heat only thermostat. I have never owned a Helix but I can't say I have ever heard any thing bad about the unit. I also have a Big apple thermostat, It isn't the easiest to get the exact temp locked in at first but once you do it will maintain temps good.

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
I have personally had great success using Herpstat and Helix. They both are very accurate and have been running some of my racks for a very long time.

Visit our friends