Wine cooler incubator

janjgeckos

Thought I would post a pick of my wine cooler incubator cost me about 100.00 to make and temps seem pretty steady only move about .2 of a deg between shelves. Yellow thermometer was just for testing
046-4.jpg

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
How did you find the wine cooler body? Where I am, they all go to some special place where the freon is removed, and no trash removal folks will tell me where that is. Now I'm thinking I will just have to get lucky and stumble upon one.

In the meantime, I bought a LLL. It looks cool...

janjgeckos

Looks great. Are you using flex watt to heat the unit. I see the wine cooler display is showing a reading, do you have it plugged in as well.

I am useing flexwatt, at first I switched the wires on the cooler and it heated and worked well but the light and display would only work when the heat was on so I unhooked the thermoelectric unit and the heating fan. I left the cooling fan plugged in to the board as well as the thermocouple(temp probe).I did this mainly so I could use the light

janjgeckos

How did you find the wine cooler body? Where I am, they all go to some special place where the freon is removed, and no trash removal folks will tell me where that is. Now I'm thinking I will just have to get lucky and stumble upon one.

In the meantime, I bought a LLL. It looks cool...

Got it from Craigslist for 50.00 I am looking for a bigger one now. I dont know if the thermoelectric units have freon in them because I didnt see any refrigerant lines or coils

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Thermoelectric units do not use a refrigerant gas, and IIRC you can reverse the wiring to the unit and it will heat instead of cool.

janjgeckos

Thermoelectric units do not use a refrigerant gas, and IIRC you can reverse the wiring to the unit and it will heat instead of cool.

I did reverse the wires at first and it heated great but I could only turn the light on when it was calling for heat. I was going to rewire the light so that I could still use it but my multimeter is at work and I am not sure if the light and the display are 120v because there is a 24v transformer in the unit. This was just a trial unit as I am looking for a wine cooler at least twice as big as this one. I also read on one of the threads that they somtimes dont last long afer reverseing the wires so I didnt want to trust my first clutches with out a long trial on a thermoelectric unit. So when I find a bigger unit I will use the thermoelectric for heat but rewire the T-stat and light for continuse use and let the unit run for several weeks as a test.

Visit our friends