Axthantic (Oreo) Yes or No?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
I bought this gecko from Strictly Reptiles (they bought it from Kelvin Soto, Touch of CLass Reptiles)..Just want to see the opinions of what you guys think..Is it an Axthantic (oreo)???

Here are the pictures..some with flash, others w/o...he just shed out like 5 minutes before picture were taken

I really would appreciate some help!

Thanks,
Alex

101_1183.jpg

101_1184.jpg

101_1185.jpg

101_1186.jpg

101_1187.jpg

101_1188.jpg

101_1191.jpg

snared99

Luxurious Leopards
I almost bought this gecko but would have to say it didnt quite have the oreo appearance. So my vote would be no it is not a axanthic, but rather looks like a granite animal to me. But goodluck, it might prove out for you.

Lecko my Gecko

granite yes axanthic? I agree with pat, same gecko offered to me but turned it down also. if axanthic it wouldnt be able to make the brown pigmant, just my oppinion LOL

KelliH

I dunno guys, to me it looks just like the adults pictured on Urban's website. Those look brown to me too. Go check out those pics and compare to his.

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
i would have to say it does look pretty similar to the adults pictured on urbans site. however, i think there are normals that look pretty similar also.

yah, i guess you just need to see what happens when you breed some hets back to it.

Gregg M

Registered Member
Looks a heck of a lot like an oreo to me...

Many "axanthic" reptiles display brown coloration... Just look at "axanthic" ball pythons... They start out looking all black, white, and gray, but they brown out as they mature...

Axanthic means lack of yellow... Nothing more, nothing less...

Maybe calling an oreo an axanthic is incorrect terminology... Maybe these are just terms given to make things easy... From what I can tell the majority of names given to morphs are incorrectly used...

In theory, if a reptile was truely an axanthic, where ever the animal normaly dispays orange, should be red in color...

Last edited:

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Here are some pictures i took today with my iphone, a buddy of mines bought an "axanthic" fat tail female from the same place i did. Here is the pictures of his female, compared to my male (sorry for bad quality pictures were taken from my phone)

My Male:
IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

My Friends Female:
IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Okay my friend and i decided to breed our geckos together and see if they really are Oreo's. Oreo x Oreo = 100% Oreo. Either way, if we dont get Oreos from the pairing we will still breed the babies together to see. Ill do an update once eggs hatch. The Female was ovulating pretty good and the male wasted no time on breeding her. So she should start developing some eggs soon!!!

SFgeckos

Sounds like an interesting project you have going on. I'm wondering what are your quarantine protocols? I understand the excitement of obtaining new specimens and projects, but always be cautious of new animals from various sources- including mixing captive bred and wild caught animals. Even having cb and wc animals in the same room (without proper deworming/quarantine) is a potential for disaster.

It is tempting to throw animals together to get results faster, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk of potential disease or parasites. There have been times that I've been offered high end animals for free and I declined to keep my collection "closed"- which is a term mostly used in biomedical research settings to decrease or eliminate the risk of transmitted diseases or parasites. If I do get new animals, I do my best to make sure the source is a good one and all new animals follow strict quarantine guidelines. Good luck!

Jon

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Sounds like an interesting project you have going on. I'm wondering what are your quarantine protocols? I understand the excitement of obtaining new specimens and projects, but always be cautious of new animals from various sources- including mixing captive bred and wild caught animals. Even having cb and wc animals in the same room (without proper deworming/quarantine) is a potential for disaster.

It is tempting to throw animals together to get results faster, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk of potential disease or parasites. There have been times that I've been offered high end animals for free and I declined to keep my collection "closed"- which is a term mostly used in biomedical research settings to decrease or eliminate the risk of transmitted diseases or parasites. If I do get new animals, I do my best to make sure the source is a good one and all new animals follow strict quarantine guidelines. Good luck!

Jon

Jon,

thanks for your response. I do quarantine new animals for 30 days make sure they eat and no diseases are present. My friend is a clean freak. He cleans every cage before he feeds, and removes all uneaten prey items. Its pretty OCD if you ask me. So yes i took a risk, but i know he keeps a clean facility as well as i do. All WC animals are kept in separate rooms and de-wormed by a vet. They will not be introduced into my gecko room after 3 months of quarantine and testing negative for parasites and diseases.

Thanks,
Alex

snared99

Luxurious Leopards
I would suggest even for captive bred animals 90days is a strict minimum for quarantine. Running the qurantine department here at the zoo i can tell you first hand 30 days is no where near enough to find most diseases/parasites even in captive bred animals. Not that im trying to knock your project, just trying to give some helpful advice and hopefully save you any issues int he future for your collection.

Lecko my Gecko

alex, after looking at UG s new available list, they have an oreo that looks alot like yours, my fingers are crossed for you:main_thumbsup:

Visit our friends