Combining different albino morphs?

Leopardbreeder

Marcia and I just happened to discuss this in private. She told me that will create double-hets and will be hard to figure out what the genetics would be when pairing the offspring in the future. (Correct me if I am wrong, Marcia)

P

PacHerp

I've never really questioned the idea of combining albino strains, because I've always just heard it was not a good thing to do. I think this is a good thread, and I would also be interested to know why it is so looked down upon in the gecko community... (I don't mean to sounds rude or anything... I am really just curious, and no one has ever explained this to me either.)

:)
thanks guys,

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Well, a LOT of people have tried to create the "double albino" by crossing the three separate genetic albino morphs... but to no avail.

The three genetic strains of albino are not compatible genetically. The alleles that make them albino do not line up! All three strains are recessive traits that are unique and beautiful by their own physical expression, and pairings between the morphs would only create normal babies that are double, or even triple het offspring that later down the road would be next to impossible to identify or prove out.

With all the genetic combinations we are creating today, whats so wrong with just keeping them the aristocratic purebreds that they are?

Leopardbreeder

I didnt say anything about not keeping them pure breeds. I know you most likely wernt saying that to me and that was a rhetorical question so now I look-a-like an idiot. But I always do. I wonder how many albino traits are still out there.

nevinm

Moyer's Monsters
when i get asked this, number one i accually say close to the same thing (as marcia). and second i tell the buy that the babies would pretty much be worthless. that if someone found out they were double het, or double albino, there name would be put out in the public, and be run down.

P

PacHerp

thanks for the info Marcia, that helps me better understand. :-D

ataber

no blazzing blizzard is the mixture of albino and blizzard....if you notice a blizzard has black eyes so its not an albino.

S

SteveB

Golden Gate Geckos said:
With all the genetic combinations we are creating today, whats so wrong with just keeping them the aristocratic purebreds that they are?

With all the genetic combinations we are creating today, it's highly likely the market is already producing animals carrying traits that are not expected/advertised. There have been one or two enigma threads where people were excited to find out after breeding their enigma that the enigma was het for something they didn't know about when they bought it...
it reminds me of the early days dealing with Rainwater - you never knew if you were buying a het, a double het, or a normal from him...

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
With all the genetic combinations we are creating today, it's highly likely the market is already producing animals carrying traits that are not expected/advertised.
This is very true... especially with the new Enigma combination morphs since they popped up in the Bell line.

O

okapi

I remember that thread... It was when I first joined the site. Please excuse my enthusiastic thoughts and rambling in that thread. Its fun to wonder what a combination would look like, but ultimately it is not worth doing to find out.

Albino crosses would ruin the projects of any person who used decendants from that cross for breeding. There are two breeders that I know of off the top of my head that got some bad rep for crossing different albino strains...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ipsl

okapi said:
I remember that thread... It was when I first joined the site. Please excuse my enthusiastic thoughts and rambling in that thread. Its fun to wonder what a combination would look like, but ultimately it is not worth doing to find out.

Albino crosses would ruin the projects of any person who used decendants from that cross for breeding. There are two breeders that I know of off the top of my head that got some bad rep for crossing different albino strains...

Its fun to see how much we grow when looking at are first couple threads:main_laugh:

But how does it ruin the rep of a breeder for trying to cross albino strains?:main_huh:

S

SteveB

So all Enigmas could be het bell, het tremper, or het both. Now we have rainwater enigmas starting to be produced.

This is why I have a complete distrust of enigmas. Pay 1500 to potentially ruin your bloodlines just to try and make money yourself.

You can't be sure you are preserving your "aristocratic purebreds" if you intend to work with Enigmas...

Welcome to the leopard gecko world of chasing the newest morph while its profitable...

Jeremy Letkey

Jaded by reality!!
Wow!!

I do think that this is a bit jaded. I will be crossing my enigmas to many different traits. I will disclose all the genetic information I have available to me at the time of inquiry or sale of my animals. What more can one ask for?

If you choose not to work with the enigmas that is your choice. I do not think that they will be the downfall of the leopard gecko world though. Maybe the exact opposite?

SteveB said:
So all Enigmas could be het bell, het tremper, or het both. Now we have rainwater enigmas starting to be produced.

This is why I have a complete distrust of enigmas. Pay 1500 to potentially ruin your bloodlines just to try and make money yourself.

You can't be sure you are preserving your "aristocratic purebreds" if you intend to work with Enigmas...

Welcome to the leopard gecko world of chasing the newest morph while its profitable...

KelliH

If you choose not to work with the enigmas that is your choice. I do not think that they will be the downfall of the leopard gecko world though. Maybe the exact opposite?

Enigmas RULE! The most interesting leopard gecko morph (if not reptile morph) ever produced. As long as genetics are honestly disclosed it's not a problem. Have fun!:D

Visit our friends