Dark spot on leopard gecko belly

RyleeRellik

Hi, I’m new to this forum, but I have 4 leopard geckos and one fat tail gecko. I’ve kept geckos for 7 years, but recently my female leo- Aqua. Seems to be impacted? There was no signs of anything 2 days ago but now there’s a very dark spot on her tummy as pictured here. The only other symptom is her uninterest in food. But otherwise she’s drinking and acting normal. I was wondering if it could be something else. Or if Monday is too long to wait for a vet appointment.

Attachments

• EF6587B1-1B81-4C3E-B854-2957DC54FBF2.jpeg
    EF6587B1-1B81-4C3E-B854-2957DC54FBF2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I haven't ever seen a purple mark that large or dark. I'm not a vet but I wonder if there could be some sort of subcutaneous bleeding (which, if you think about it, is what a bruise is). I would say that a vet visit would be a good idea. It should be soon but, if the spot isn't getting bigger I don't know that it's an emergency.

Aliza

RyleeRellik

I haven't ever seen a purple mark that large or dark. I'm not a vet but I wonder if there could be some sort of subcutaneous bleeding (which, if you think about it, is what a bruise is). I would say that a vet visit would be a good idea. It should be soon but, if the spot isn't getting bigger I don't know that it's an emergency.

Aliza
Thank you, yea I was wondering that, she hasn’t had any falls recently or anything so that’s also why I was confused, spot doesn’t seem to be getting bigger so far

RyleeRellik

Update: her belly looks MUCH lighter today! I think that’s a good sign plus her belly also looks less swollen I’ll try to get more pictures later

RyleeRellik

This is what it looks like today?? Any more ideas??

Attachments

• D35069D3-3F60-469D-BA62-C0A7F1124647.jpeg
    D35069D3-3F60-469D-BA62-C0A7F1124647.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I do wonder if it's some kind of bruise. It's encouraging that it's not spreading and you'd hope that it will gradually shrink and fade the way a bruise does. If not, a vet visit is indicated.

Aliza

RyleeRellik

I do wonder if it's some kind of bruise. It's encouraging that it's not spreading and you'd hope that it will gradually shrink and fade the way a bruise does. If not, a vet visit is indicated.

Aliza
She has a vet visit for Monday, so hopefully it’ll get all cleared up whatever it is.

RyleeRellik

Let us know what it was.

Aliza
She got an x-ray and vet said she looks egg bound from both x-Ray, ultrasound and physical look. They’re keeping her there for a bit and are gonna try to get her to start pushing them out, and if not we’re looking at option of surgery. I know surgery can be risky so if that’s the case I’m a little bit stuck there on whether or not to.

Last edited:

RyleeRellik

She got an x-ray and vet said she looks egg bound from both x-Ray, ultrasound and physical look. They’re keeping her there for a bit and are gonna try to get her to start pushing them out, and if not we’re looking at option of surgery. I know surgery can be risky so if that’s the case I’m a little bit stuck there on whether or not to.
She’s back home with me now. Still no eggs, but it looks like they’ve gotten lower. What would you guys recommend as further treatment if they don’t come out. She may not be completely egg bound, but she’s just not making any effort to push them out.

RyleeRellik

I think that's going to be something for the vet to weigh in about.

Aliza
Vet looked her over again, and also got another vets office to take a look at her- and both said it looked like eggs but didn’t look actually bound, and that she should be fine after passing them. She was doing great- eating, pooping, running around. I went to syringe feed her some more and it seemed like she had just passed away in her sleep. It was very sudden because of how good she was acting, I wish I knew why it happened or if there was anything more I could’ve done.

Onelifegecs

I’m sorry to hear that. Thats the bad thing about reptiles they just pass for seemingly no reason. You did the best you could and she was lucky to have you

Visit our friends