Do You Own A pet store gecko??

How is your pet store leo doing?

• I own a pet store leo and I have had no problems thus far.

Votes: 366 65.9%
  • I own a pet store leo and have had heath problems with it.

Votes: 50 9.0%
  • I have owned a pet store leo and they have passed away from the pet store care.

Votes: 35 6.3%
  • I have owned several pet store leos and have had no problems thus far.

Votes: 121 21.8%
  • I have owned several pet store leos and have had health problems with them.

Votes: 35 6.3%
  • I have owned several pet store leos and they have passed away because of the pet store care.

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters

TripleALeos

A lot of people who first get started with geckos, get them from big chain stores. Most people dont know breeders or even how to go about getting one. The problem with big chain stores is over crowding and under feeding. I took a pic today while at the pet store. Their leopard geckos are housed in like a 3 gal tank. They had food and water and most seemed to be in good health but WAY to many. Its hard to tell in the pic, but there are 13 juvenile leos in this tank.. Luckily for these guys, most of the store employees are avid reptile lovers and even do rescues in the area, so they are taken good care of.. Just over crowded...

NewImage.jpg

the reptileo

aaron
Got my hypo from a private pet shop near me
was fine and no problems btu now its has stopped eating and hasnt eat for a week but im sure its nothing todo with the pet shop...

Fullbredleo

Dinosaur, so like rawr
Well i went to pets mart to sell some of my new borns and i walked back to where they kept the actual geckos that are for sell every single one had dropped is tail except one, the dude asked me to put the leos i was selling in the tank so i told him no and walked out which must have made the guy mad as he kinda slammed the door.

Junk

well that is good that you didn't sell them... and I personally have three animals from *****; one ball python and two leo's... and I haven't had any problems with the ones I myself bought however one of my leo's is blind but I think that was the owner before me not the pet store.

I understand why there is a terrible stigma around chain pet stores because people have horror stories, but if you find one you should call their corporate number and tell them... they know it's bad business practice to have a store with poorly treated animals and will change it

morrun

I got my Leo from ********. He is doing fine. I also talked to a worker who had Leo's and helped me get the right cage and helped me pick one out. It all depends on who ask and how much you know as to whether or not you get a healthy Leo.

NWA_JTV

I think the poll is set to allow multi-voting, so you could select options of "I have owned pet store geckos and they died" as well as "I own pet store geckos and they're fine", which is actually valid - just means you can have more responses than responders and thus the confusing %'s.

Our current two came from one of the large chains and are doing fine. We've had them about two and a half weeks and everything is going well. Our previous three were also chain bought and we kept them for more than three years before we had to part ways with them.

Geckoguy77

I'm pretty sure my oldest gecko is from a pet store. I don't know what one, but he is a survivor. He only has one complete toe, and lost his tail long before I got him (poor guy). I think he just had the first trouble free shed in a very long time (He loves his moist hide, never had one before.) In the past he had issues with shedding due to uninformed care by the previous owners. I can't say that the pet store was in any way at fault. He is 7 years old and is slowly starting to do better. He's not the best eater, and his aim is horrible (not an enigma that I can tell, likely a normal high yellow.) but he seems to be getting better as time goes on.

My first two came from a local breeder and they have done great. Both of them are fantastic eaters and chow down far more food than Yoshi (the old one) does despite being half his size.

Will

vinzyangel

I got one a long time back from a small pet store, and the owner of the store specialized in reptiles, he was chubby, happy healthy and had a fat tail. he just did not like me for some reason, loved everyone but me. *shrugs*

joshyy_rey

I got my 1 and a half month old from a large pet store. i saw him eat 1 meal worm the first day i had him but hid all the time and dint which i heard was normal, he was just adjusting. i just check and there are some mealies missing from his bowl so unless they got out9 which hasnt happened before) he is starting to eat. which is good i was starting to get worried. And he is more active now which is good. he moves so fast now where before he was so sluggish and now he goes in between his humid and warm hide instead of just staying in one.

Last edited:

Mallie

I currently own a petstore rescue that was blind and underweight. He struggled at first but now he's healthy and happy.

Merriweather

Take me away Circle K
I have two bigbox petstore leos, one is happy fit and gorgeous, and I'm pretty sure the other has some really bad ransom note genes[Short tail, short spine, photo sensitivity, an inward turning front arm which the vet pointed out..]. After having that second one for only a month and a half, it promptly developed a swelling on its front foot which the vet and I concluded was an infection, and baytril was administered.
It may be a little mutant but it's my little mutant. Still, whoever their supplier is doesn't seem like they know what they are doing, or they aren't very observant. Idk..

sausage

BSc AMAS
my first two geckos were from a pet store and sadly died from crypto, but this was caught from the breeders ( they did own up to it) however the shop failed to nitice it untill the whole stock died in the shop. this i feel is down to improper training of staff on the care of the animals :( sad times.
but now i have 9 healthy happy geckos in my family and i love them to bits!!!!

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
my first two geckos were from a pet store and sadly died from crypto, but this was caught from the breeders ( they did own up to it) however the shop failed to nitice it untill the whole stock died in the shop. this i feel is down to improper training of staff on the care of the animals :( sad times.
but now i have 9 healthy happy geckos in my family and i love them to bits!!!!

Just want to get this straight...

You saw the geckos.
You bought the geckos.
The geckos died.
You blame this on the pet store employees not being trained enough to notice the symptoms.

So obviously, since you're condemning the pet store employees, you yourself must have noticed the symptoms. In that you're not improperly trained and all. So why did you buy them anyway?

Desdemona

I can tell a big difference in personality between my petstore and my breeder bought geckos. The petstore gecko hides out all the time, even though she's been in the same home for a couple of months. My two breeder geckos come out and check things out, look around, etc.. even though I've only had them for 3 days.

I had to run to ******** yesterday for some things and they had some really young hatchlings. So tempting to "save" them all. But, then of course I'll just be making room for more neglected geckos *sigh*

sausage

BSc AMAS
Just want to get this straight...

You saw the geckos.
You bought the geckos.
The geckos died.
You blame this on the pet store employees not being trained enough to notice the symptoms.

So obviously, since you're condemning the pet store employees, you yourself must have noticed the symptoms. In that you're not improperly trained and all. So why did you buy them anyway?

right lets get one thing straight your a bully! I have been keeping and breeding geckos for years!!! the 2 hatchlings i bought (my very first ones all those years ago) were of sound condition at the time that i bought them! fat, active, and eating. so there was no reason for me not to have bought them.
i did ALL the right reasurch before i got them as so i wasn't jumping in at the deep end blind, OK!!

after a week one dropped its tail and reduced feeding along with the other one. so being sooo small they lost weight quickly.
i returned to the pet store to talk to the manager only to find the others in the batch (4 in total not incl mine) were exactly the same!! (he said there wasnt a problem and there clearly was! because they all looked like tooth picks and dint move!

i took mine to the vet and was given meds to try and help but unfortunatly they both died.
only when the pet store ones died aswell (without treatment so they died befor mine) did the manager get in contact with the breeder who then told him that yes there was a proble and all batches at that time that had gone to other pet stores had the same problems. the breeders apologise and refunded the store and i was sent two new geckos 4weeks later who are happy and healthy and with me to date!

so i think you should stop thinking your gods gift to geckos and hold your tongue before having ago at people you dont know! not every ones a moron!
*rant over*

mikesgeckoz

my original gecko was from a pet store and it is one of my favs she eats anything that comes her way lol and ive had no problems with her at all shes about 2 years old now but i am very skeptical about buying from a pet store since most pet stores ive been to dont know much about gecks

WickedTruth

I got my leo from a chain store and he is perfectly healthy thus far. They had quite a few and all of them looked really active and healthy.

Visit our friends