Fat belly, thin tail?

CracklingKraken

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and joined it hoping maybe some of you more experience leo owners could help. I have a 10-11 year old female leopard gecko named Jessie. She lives in a terrarium by herself. I keep it at around 90F. A few years ago she had the disease known as mouth rot, we took her to the vet got some of the soft food and she recovered quickly. During mid pandemic she got the disease again and became very skinny, both her body and tail. Luckily I was able to get a similar soft food off amazon which I fed to her for 2-3 months and once again she bounced right back. I know have been feeding her crickets and mealworms and she eats them ferociously. She still sheds a fequently, poops (its consistancy is mainly solid, except sometimes after eating crickets she might have the odd watery one.) At the start of feeding her crickets her tail was still quite skinny which I didnt think too much of because I thought she would begin to get it back to its usual state after a few weeks of meal worms and crickets. However as the time passed, and I kept feeding her crickets and mealworms, I noticed her belly certainly was fattening up but her tail remained the same frail shape as usual. Im a little concerned now, is this a gecko old age thing? Or is there another cause?

Thanks,
Garrett

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It would be great to see a picture. In general, if she's eating well and pooping and you can rule out that she has a parasite load that's bothering her, it's likely that she's fine and in any event you may not be able to do anything about it.

Aliza

CracklingKraken

It would be great to see a picture. In general, if she's eating well and pooping and you can rule out that she has a parasite load that's bothering her, it's likely that she's fine and in any event you may not be able to do anything about it.

Aliza
Yes I do have some photos, another person suggested on different website that she may be egg bound? She has never lay eggs before so I am not sure.
973F9D9B-D32A-44A4-BFB3-5DA0C26222BC.jpeg

Attachments

• 7B16B1D1-1D0B-4363-B370-53E400FBAE5D.jpeg
    7B16B1D1-1D0B-4363-B370-53E400FBAE5D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • B5932C3A-89BC-4798-AB5E-D34E3FB5EA29.jpeg
    B5932C3A-89BC-4798-AB5E-D34E3FB5EA29.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 48C7D3D6-C4B9-429B-98C3-DB83983B26E4.jpeg
    48C7D3D6-C4B9-429B-98C3-DB83983B26E4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Google some pictures of gravid leopard geckos and check her belly. If she's carrying eggs (not saying it's likely . . . )you'll see oval shaped white spheres filling her belly. I don't think the vet could have missed that, though. I have no idea why her tail is like that.

Aliza

CracklingKraken

Google some pictures of gravid leopard geckos and check her belly. If she's carrying eggs (not saying it's likely . . . )you'll see oval shaped white spheres filling her belly. I don't think the vet could have missed that, though. I have no idea why her tail is like that.

Aliza
When I brought her to the vet her tail was much plumper- but still quite skinny. She has gained substantially more weight since the last trip.

Visit our friends