Fat-Tail Bite*WARNING, Blood*

GeckoGuru

Hello All,

First I want to say that if this thread is in any way violating the TOS of this site, please administrators delete it, although I don't think I am in violation of anything.

This bite happened 12/23/07. The male responsible is my avatar pic. I was trying to gently remove some shed skin off of two of his digits, obviously he didn't think I was being gentle.

He is in the middle of his breeding season too, so I guess I should have been more careful with him. He wasn't hurt when the following took place.

He is still one of my favorite geckos! I blame myself in part, and fattails are still awesome!!

GeckoGuru

I guess I wanted to post this as a reminder that these are wild animals, no matter how docile and a part of the family they may be.

L

LeopardGeckoMom52688

I have a male that has done this much damage to a friend of mine that is rasing him now. But we think its because he has something against males because in my house he straves himself and he hates my male friend but loves his mom and me!

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
Wow! Hard to believe that much cuteness can pack that mean of a bite!

Ouch!

K

G

Gecko

So the times I've been biten by Fat tails it typically involves feeding them by hand, or picking shed skin off of them. I think it's very hard for some geckos not to bite at it when they are shedding and when they do unlike a feeding bite where they let go they often keep pulling. This actually happens more in my cb then the older wc who let me do anything to them.

robin

GeckoGuru said:
I guess I wanted to post this as a reminder that these are wild animals, no matter how docile and a part of the family they may be.

very well put :yes:
i have had leos bite me like that

nasty little bite ya got there

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
im guess im lucky iven never been bit! nasty bite!

gecko,

do you think thats because its a diferance in captive vs wild or young vs old?

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
I have had that happen about 4 times. I feel your pain.... but as far as the pictures go........ NICE!

K

Kevin McRae

Thats why I stick to tokays. :p

Looked like it may have hurt, nice looking gecko though!

paulnj

I do believe that fattails have an anticoagulant in their saliva so I was told. One got me at a petstore and it bled for an hour, but nothing like a retic bite ;)

G

Gecko

HepCatMoe said:
im guess im lucky iven never been bit! nasty bite!

gecko,

do you think thats because its a diferance in captive vs wild or young vs old?

Not really sure.

One one hand I suspect the cb which I produced feel comfortable enough around me to nip. The cb have had to deal with me since day one. Except for reflexive things like hiding if I move by real fast they don't really show much fear.

The older wc are much less squirmy. They also are much more calm. I guess Iwill see if it's an age thing once the older cb reach ~10 years.

robin

paulnj said:
I do believe that fattails have an anticoagulant in their saliva so I was told. One got me at a petstore and it bled for an hour, but nothing like a retic bite ;)

everything bites me :(

geckos, snakes, lizards. the frog even tried to bite me the other day :(

Visit our friends