Feeder Failures (lots of CUTE pics)

Chewbecca

www.ellaslead.com
So, I went to visit my friend over the weekend.
She has 2 snakes, ball pythons, that are about 13 years old.
Her female will eat frozen/thawed, but her male won't and requires to be fed live.
So, she'll go to the pet store and ask for mice.

Well, her male wasn't interested in eating. She HATES feeding live, and ONLY does it because her snake won't eat any other way.
She picked up some mice, and he wouldn't eat them. She BEGGED me to take them. So I did. Because I'm a SUCKER.

So, now I have teh pet mice. And SOOO CUTE they are.
I named them Henney Buggy and Mayor Finn. I ended up separating them because they are both males, and I guess male mice will eventually get aggressive to the point where one or both will end up dead. And I didn't know this at the time.

Get ready for teh CUTE.

4536491742_3965b0b831.jpg

Mayor Finn
4536491744_463660c6a4.jpg

Henney poking his head out.
4536491746_46fcd67d1b.jpg

"O, this be teh nomz??? Maybe?"
4536491748_ffaeaac860.jpg

"maybee we can haz teh nomz up here?"
4536491750_7d9a01cc01.jpg

"Water iz gud."
4536491756_77911be268.jpg

"O hai. I haz a climb"
4536493326_ea0a53a478.jpg

"I haz an eat. OM NOM NOM."
4536493330_066df4ce0d.jpg

"Now I haz a travel."
4536493334_2c24bdb6a5.jpg

4536493338_d88e8e9385.jpg

"I getz all inside teh bowl 2 haz an eat."
4536493354_00de21a38b.jpg

"I may not be teh best at anything." hehehehe, he looks like he's holding an old microphone.
4536493358_f00a887d6b.jpg

TEH ENDZ.

Chewbecca

www.ellaslead.com
Yeah, I know.
I'm probably one of the very few pet mice owners that has come to terms with the fact that, yes, mice are commonly used for snake food.
And that's ok.

I mean, if I had a snake that I HAD TO feed live to, and the snake wouldn't eat, what would I do with the mice then?
Kill them?
No, I'd have to keep them as pets.
Or feeders, whichever came first.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Aww, they're so cute! We had a rejected feeder mouse for a while. Our BP wouldn't eat it so we kept him until he moved into an elementary classroom as the class pet. I couldn't feed live mice after that.

Chewbecca

www.ellaslead.com
Thanks, guys!

I'm having so much fun building popsicle stick houses for them. The one I just got done building didn't fit right in the cage.:(
I ended up keeping the ladders I made for it, though.

Chewbecca

www.ellaslead.com
Thanks, guys!!! I appreciate the compliments. These little mice are something else! I LOVE them.
Henney (the orange/blonde mouse) likes to climb up into my hair and he'll brux (it's a vibrating they do and a grinding/clicking noise they make when they're happy) and dig around in my pony tail.

Ok, my second attempt at one of these popsicle stick towers. My first attempt was too big for his enclosure. I got a little carried away. :oops:
But this one is kind of cute.
My son made the bottom platform, and I did the rest.:D
Ignore the piece of scotch tape up front, I only used it to hold the felt material under while the glue dried.

Front view:
4546668297_cac536e97a.jpg

Straight-on view of the top part:
4546668299_fe643c7968.jpg

A view to where you can see the underneath from the side so you can see all the angled ramps.
4546668303_2fc06b54eb.jpg

I made him a little stair ramp! SO CUTE. So his little mousey feets can climb up ok.
4546668309_633be3de0e.jpg

Over head top view.
4546668311_2f858e617b.jpg

I put it in his enclosure, and he had a TON of fun figuring it out.
I had an idea to put a hammock on one side for him to climb onto, but it didn't work out that way. The hammock is there, but it's not really in "hammock" form.
Oh well, he can climb onto it at least.

Oh! This is for Mayor Finn. I have to make a size-appropriate one for Henney still.

rubym

awww how cute. These r very lucky little guys. Glad that they got a stay of execution,lol. My husband has snakes but he ONLY feeds frozen. He knows how I am about the live furries.

Smidget88

I have never seen such beautiful "feeders", I dont see how a pet store would be able to sell good lookin animals as feeders. My local pet store only has solid white or brown mice, never seen such brilliant oranges on a mouse before. Keep in mind mice multiply A LOT so you may be able to make money off your friend by selling the babies as feeders ;) you win twice! lol

latshki

Breeder in the making
you should buy a loaf of home made whole grain bread thats not sliced and cut holes in it then they will have an edible house
we did that for the mice that were to become FT feeders at work they had a good few last days RIP little cutie pies

and I must say that the blonde one is sooooooo cute i love mice and like rats even more

goReptiles

I have to feed live to my BP. I request white rats though because I've had pet colored ones.

I actually bought a pair of white mice to keep as breeders for my kenyans as they are on live pinks, when they eat. They're super friendly. I've had pet mice before, but these are the friendliest. Still nothing like rats though, they play with you where mice play on you.

Some males get along just fine, as long as they have room to get away when they want to. Mice are actually great to have in groups. My breeding pair (which I've had for weeks and haven't seen anything from them and she was actually pregnant when I got her) are actually housed with a gray male mouse. I bought it as a hopper for my frog, and the frog refused to eat, so I kept it hoping it'd be a female (they're so hard to sex as babies). They all get along great.

I will admit, after having these white mice, when I feed my Rosies their white F/Ts I'm like awe how sad. But, they have to eat, so I do it. I just can't feed off the colored rats because rats are so much more fun to have as pets- much more friendly.

Try finding a mouse/rat block, it's much healthier than the seed mixes, which are quite fatty. Mazuri or Harland Teklad make the best.

Visit our friends