Getting a Group of WC Imports

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
hey everybody, so tomorrow im going to be getting a group of WC fat tailed geckos..im going to try to pick out the abbreants and the most healthy...im probably going to be getting about 12 geckos...2 males 10 females...do you guys have any tips for me? i plan to try to breed them this breeding season..i already have two 3' x 2' x 17.5" Cages set up in my room not my gecko room for the WC's to live in...any tips on Deworming and when i should move the geckos into racks in my gecko room? Any information and stories of events with WC Imports would be great.

Thanks,
Alex

GeckoGal

GeckoGal
I would defiantly wait 3 months before moving them into the gecko room, to prevent anything from spreading. I would do Fecal tests on all of them, and I would probably even get 3 males... just in case something happened because there WC. Congrats though, Post Pics when you get them!!!

JordanAng420

All the experiances i've had with clients that adopted wildcaught animals have been very poor. Most wildcaughts are either infested with parasites (that HUMANS can get too) or get sick with other systemic diseases the animal is suffering from. The other day I saw a Golden Eagle that was absolutely magnificent...but it had no water. No food, no water, no shelter...four weeks later we went back and his cage was empty...kinda makes you wonder....

Fecal samples, fecal samples, fecal samples. Here's what you need to do and WHEN:
Fecal Float: Feces is mixed with solution and allowed to sit for 10-20 minutes...after alloted time, the feces is read under a microscope.

[U\[/U]A small sample is taken from the gecko, placed on a slide, fixed with heat from a lighter, and sent off to the lab. Results take anywhere from 10-14 days.

Acid Fast: This is something you have to request specifically for detection of Cryptosporidium....

Dude!

From seeing the things you've posted for sale I infer that you have some high end animals. The WC need to be quarantined away from your other animals in a separate room. It's to big a risk to take.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
From seeing the things you've posted for sale I infer that you have some high end animals. The WC need to be quarantined away from your other animals in a separate room. It's to big a risk to take.

apparently you didnt read the full post? lol im keeping these WC in my room and not in my gecko room...my local importer told me he had some cool things and if i wanted to pass by...so I'm looking to try something.. "out of the ordinary"..but mostly want to pick up some aberrant animals to work with..i just want to know how people that work with WC animals to try to prove out new genes deal with this kind of stuff..

the biggest

The trick is getting the trichomonads under control. Some times it can take 3-4treatments. Get them hydrated. If they eat with in the first few days your good-to-go. the last group I got(Oct) I didn't loose any. I did do fecals and floats.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Chad,

I saw a post you posted awhile back..so basically if all the geckos are quarantined..and they are all eating and i give them like 3-4 treatments of de-wrom they should be okay? and if they dont eat then they most likely have trichomands? and i should try some other form of treatment?

sorry for the questions..

thanks in advance,
Alex

KelliH

I would worry more about coccidia with the WC fatties... Have fecal tests done asap, both float and smear tests. Then treat accordingly. Many times fat tails are really dehydrated when they come in, so you will have to make sure you rehydrate them really well. Obviously you should take care of those animals last, after you are done with all your others. Do not wear the same clothing into your gecko room the next day, in fact, shower before going back in there to take care of your "non WC" geckos. I am being dead serious, most WC fat tails will be loaded with parasites and some, like coccidia, are not something to take lightly. That being said, post pics when you get them! Good luck!

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Thank you Kelli.

I actually just spoke with a vet, and they told me to take in 5 fecal samples, they will check for parasites and then if they find any (which i think they will) they will de-worm all 12 geckos..they said they would charge me $22 per sample and that they would'nt charge for the de-worm...does this sound reasonable?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
So it looks like i wont be getting them till Saturday...well gives me more time to prepare for their arrival...and thanks Pat for the answer

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Thanks Haley,

im super excited..they told me they had some "cool stuff"..but lets just see how "cool" these things really are lol

Last edited:

Visit our friends