Getting females to ovulate late in the season

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
I have a couple of females that are ready to breed but i am having trouble getting them to ovulate. I have tried putting them in with a male but they just fight him off. I have also tried putting them with other females that are producing eggs to see if they would be influenced to ovulate, all with no success. Should i actually cool them down and take them off feed? If so for how long? Any tips from experienced breeders would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

robin

it is actually not late in the season, it's just starting. i say be patient they will ovulate when their bodies are ready to :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have read in some places that fatties ovulate in the fall, but haven't seen that in my limited experience. All the ones I've had have ovulated in the spring. I usually cool them from mid-Nov.through New Years.

Aliza

Ga_herps

Southern leo breeder
I have them ovulating at different times of the year. I do not drop temps, and keep the light schedule the same. I do believe the only month I have not had any ovulations in is December.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Thanks for the tips everyone!

I have them ovulating at different times of the year. I do not drop temps, and keep the light schedule the same. I do believe the only month I have not had any ovulations in is December.

December is when most of my ovulations took place, i had females laying eggs in December lol :p But i think Robin and Kelli are right, she will ovulate when she is ready..but lets face it..I just want to produce some White Outs ALREADY!!!! lol :main_lipsrsealed: But its better for her health to ovulate when she is ready, hopefully when she ovulates (this year lol) my male zero will be breeding size (he is growing quick now) and i will go for Zero White Outs :D

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will be sure to post on here when she ovulates and breeds..

-Alex

snared99

Luxurious Leopards
I agree, there are tons of tricks but they dont always work with fatties. Unfortunetly they have a earlier cycle that is rare to mess with. They generally ovulate in nov, and season runs a few months then it is over. I have gotten some to breed out of cycle but it was pure luck. Good luck with those alex.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I agree, there are tons of tricks but they dont always work with fatties. Unfortunetly they have a earlier cycle that is rare to mess with. They generally ovulate in nov, and season runs a few months then it is over. I have gotten some to breed out of cycle but it was pure luck. Good luck with those alex.

That's really interesting. All 3 of the fattie females I've had ovulated in the spring. In November they were being cooled.

Aliza

BSM

Due you keep yours in groups? The albinos i have were breeding since nov and still passed today with another clutch laid yesterday but my wild caught ones not as active.

Visit our friends