Had questions about incubator; got answers

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I turned on my reptipro5000 for the first time a few days ago and had some questions so I called them and had a really nice conversation with someone there. I thought I'd share my questions and the answers since they were very helpful:

1. How come the temp readout says 81 but when I take the temp of the cup of water I've kept in the incubator as you directed it's only 77?

Answer: (this is a very brief summary of a long conversation)
the most important temperature is that of the water placed in the incubator because that will be closest to that of the egg. The instructions say to use the water temp to callibrate the incubator and get it to the temp you want. That means that once this is done, the actual temp number readout you are seeing displayed will likely be higher than the temperature you are really incubating at (i.e. the temperature of the water in the incubator)

2. There are 3 sets of brackets to put shelves (the unit comes with one shelf and directions to make another) but there's only 3" between the top and bottom setting. Many incubator containers are more than 3" tall

Answer: an incubation container may be placed directly on the bottom of the incubator but it's important to be aware that there is a 2 degree temp differential between the temp in the top of the incubator (higher) and the bottom of the incubator.

I haven't incubated any eggs yet, and probably won't have any for at least a month but I'll post a progress report as I go. I hope this was helpful to people.

Aliza

Gregg M

Registered Member
Answer: (this is a very brief summary of a long conversation)
the most important temperature is that of the water placed in the incubator because that will be closest to that of the egg. The instructions say to use the water temp to callibrate the incubator and get it to the temp you want. That means that once this is done, the actual temp number readout you are seeing displayed will likely be higher than the temperature you are really incubating at (i.e. the temperature of the water in the incubator)

That is an odd answer to get... The most important temperature is the actual temperature of the eggs and secondly, the temerature on the inside of the incubation container at substrate level... Why would you calibrate to the water temp??? What about people like myself who do not use water in an incubator???

In other words the temp read out does not work properly??? Not sure what to make of that...

At any rate, it is a good idea to have a separate thermometer to test temps no matter how good your incubator is...

sammer021486

That is an odd answer to get... The most important temperature is the actual temperature of the eggs and secondly, the temerature on the inside of the incubation container at substrate level... Why would you calibrate to the water temp??? What about people like myself who do not use water in an incubator???

In other words the temp read out does not work properly??? Not sure what to make of that...

At any rate, it is a good idea to have a separate thermometer to test temps no matter how good your incubator is...

I think that is what they are referring to by using the water, is that it simulates the temperature inside the egg.

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Any way you try to break it up...all I see is a self admittance that the built in thermostat does not work how intended. If they tell you how to do it but it gives you wrong temp readings...then they need to install the thermometer wherever they suggest you to get your reading.

I know some people with the LLL one and have the same problem. The read out will say 88deg but when they put in a separate thermometer it is 85-86 and when placed inside the sim container it is 84-85 (this is after a 24hour period to allow temps to settle after being opened).

I use a Nature Spirit and my temps inside the SIM are .4 cooler than the incubator readings...but that slight difference wont affect the sex like some of these mini fridge ones will. Moral of the story...they work only if you calibrate it yourself. Set it at like 95 and see if you get a stable temp inside your inc container (with a separate thermometer) and make adjustments from there. I just asked my friend and he said (for the LLL one).."I set mine up for 102 deg to get inside temps to stabilize at 88.5. I also had to do a bag of water like i do with my Hova..."

Im not saying don't buy them, because they work great...once you figure out what the read out will say when you get the temps you desire. Just don't buy it and set the temp to what you want and think everything is fine. Do tests and then you should be perfectly fine.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
That's exactly what I'm doing. As of last night I have the temp set to 90, the display is usually reading 88, my digital thermometer is in the incubator with the probe in the cup of water and that reads about 84.5. I'll be setting up my SIM and putting the probe in there. I would like to see an incubator with a probe inside it that you can manipulate so you can have the probe either on the shelf anywhere in the fridge, in a cup of water or in the incubation container and that the temp readout reflected what the probe was measuring.

Aliza

Gregg M

Registered Member
Measuring water temps in an incubator is not a suggested method to getting your temps correct... The temperature inside the container is what matters...

You need to keep in mind that even though reptiles are cold blooded, an developing embryo will generate it own heat...

The theory that a container of water will simulate an egg has no validity what so ever... Temps will differ between eggs in an incubation container and its outside environment and especially a container of water with a much different volume than a reptile egg...

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
That's strange, I thought the Repti-Pro's claim to fame was that it wasn't an off-the-shelf MR-148, but one that has been rebuilt with a better thermostat so that these problems don't come up. What is the point of paying a premium for a "better" unit if it has the same issues as the standard one?

B

Ballistic_Balls

I think the water comes in because when you calibrate a lot of thermometers and thermostats you do so with a cup of ice water ( witch is wrong for this). In theory a cup of ice water shoud be right at 32 deg f if loaded with ice you put your probe in and calibrate to a 32 deg reading but what they told you is wrong for this problem. but you could do as I mentioned to see if the thermostat is calibrated correctly

Visit our friends