Have asked before, but just not sure??

Coils

Gecko Geek
I have posted pictures of Gizmo my leo gecko on here already asking what he is, but I just can't be positive about it.

I have been looking around and sometimes when I come across hypo tang baby pictures to me he looks just like them! I was told by some they thought he was a high yellow...can anyone try to be 100% sure and tell me again?

I want to know for breeding someday down the road and he is continuing to lose more spots.

Last edited:

Friedbread

Hypo and high yellow are two different things that both can be judged differently depending on a person's personal standards.

Hypo is short for hypomelanistic which when applied to leos, would mean reduced black spotting on the body. Some people would consider a hypo any leo that has siginificantly less spotting, while others have strict guidelines such as only considering it a hypo if the animal displays no more than 15 spots on the body. (A super hypo of course is a leo with no spots on the body.)

A high yellow is more or less a captive bred normal. They have been bred to be a brighter shade of yellow than paler wild specimens. There isn't a set rule of yellowness that can determine if a leo is "high yellow" or not.

It really is up to you to determine exactly how you want to describe this particular leo in terms of morphs. Personally, I would call him a high yellow, but that's not to say he won't "hypo out" in the future. He's good looking no matter what though. :)

Wow that turned into a long reply. >.<

Coils

Gecko Geek
Hypo and high yellow are two different things that both can be judged differently depending on a person's personal standards.

Hypo is short for hypomelanistic which when applied to leos, would mean reduced black spotting on the body. Some people would consider a hypo any leo that has siginificantly less spotting, while others have strict guidelines such as only considering it a hypo if the animal displays no more than 15 spots on the body. (A super hypo of course is a leo with no spots on the body.)

A high yellow is more or less a captive bred normal. They have been bred to be a brighter shade of yellow than paler wild specimens. There isn't a set rule of yellowness that can determine if a leo is "high yellow" or not.

It really is up to you to determine exactly how you want to describe this particular leo in terms of morphs. Personally, I would call him a high yellow, but that's not to say he won't "hypo out" in the future. He's good looking no matter what though. :)

Wow that turned into a long reply. >.<

Lol I like longer replies.

But I am not sure I understand exactly...isn't a tangerine and a plain normal two different things? So how do I know if he is just normal or in reality a tang, should I just wait until he is older to really be able to tell the difference?

Friedbread

People percieve all of the varying degrees of normal to high yellow to tang with different standards.

He's certainly not just a normal, as those are heavily marked and a much paler color. The reduction of black spots indicates he is the product of selective breeding intended to reduce spotting and enhance the yellow color. He could be considered a tang if the yellow/orange intensifies as he grows up.

I hope it's making more sense. lol

Coils

Gecko Geek
People percieve all of the varying degrees of normal to high yellow to tang with different standards.

He's certainly not just a normal, as those are heavily marked and a much paler color. The reduction of black spots indicates he is the product of selective breeding intended to reduce spotting and enhance the yellow color. He could be considered a tang if the yellow/orange intensifies as he grows up.

I hope it's making more sense. lol

Okay, thanks! lol I do understand what you are saying now.

I didn't know that tangs could be considered a different degree of being a -normal- so that makes a lot of sense as to why a person -decides- what they think they catagorize as. I will know for sure then what he is as he gets older, it's kinda hard to say right now...especially since he keeps losing back spots :)

justindh1

As of right now he is just a tang. To be a hypo, he has to have less then 10 spots on his body. He looks pretty young still. Probably between 5-7 months old? If he is still young then he has a great chance to be a Hypo Tang. Thats if he loses some spots tho. Its hard to tell for sure if thats a yellow or orange in the pics. Some of the pics look like he is orange and some look like he is a bright yellow.

Last edited:

Coils

Gecko Geek
As of right now he is just a tang. To be a hypo, he has to have less then 10 spots on his body. He looks pretty young still. Probably between 5-7 months old? If he is still young then he has a great chance to be a Hypo Tang. Thats if he loses some spots tho. Its hard to tell for sure if thats a yellow or orange in the pics. Some of the pics look like he is orange and some look like he is a bright yellow.

Yea, I guess it will just depend on his growth to tell what he truley is. How old is a gecko that is 15-20 grams??

justindh1

Being that it looks healthy and has a nice fat tail then i would say a 15-20 gram leo is probably about 1 1/2 months old to 2 months old. I have some that are running about 30-35+ grams and are 3-5 months old.

B

BioWorkZ

Without the long explanation, he looks like a "high yellow/hypo high yellow" or a "hypo tangerine" at best. A beautiful leo regardless of what you would like to label him as. =)

justindh1

Its either gonna be a hypo or a high yellow, it can't be both. They are two totally different things. A high yellow means that it has excessive amounts of yellow on the body with out a reduction of black spots. It is a line bred trait and was the step before a hypo. Hypos are leopard geckos with less then 10 spots on the body.

This is taken directly from Leopardgeckowiki.com "The general rule for to make a Hypo rather than a High Yellow is 10 or less spots on the back of the gecko."

I'm not trying to prove ya wrong just wanted to correct this so others arn't confused. :)

B

BioWorkZ

Its either gonna be a hypo or a high yellow, it can't be both. They are two totally different things. A high yellow means that it has excessive amounts of yellow on the body with out a reduction of black spots. It is a line bred trait and was the step before a hypo. Hypos are leopard geckos with less then 10 spots on the body.

This is taken directly from Leopardgeckowiki.com "The general rule for to make a Hypo rather than a High Yellow is 10 or less spots on the back of the gecko."

I'm not trying to prove ya wrong just wanted to correct this so others arn't confused. :)

justindh1, thanks for the clarification. I don't mind being corrected. How else can we learn without making mistakes right?

robin

1) honestly, there are very few true high yellows around most are just lower grade tang/hypo. what most of you say are high yellows are animals from tang/hypo bloodlines. the reason why i use tang/hypo like this is because they (tangs and hypos) have been bred together so much that there are not even very many true just plain old tangs around either (without some hypo influence somewhere). so what i am saying is about 99.99 percent of what people call high yellows are from some sorta hypo/tang line. oh and yes there can be such a thing as a hypo yellow ;)

i just wanted to clarify that

people go by number of spots and color and stuff like that but thats a "rule" (lol) only god knows who made up, that changes all the time. it's not fact it's just kinda been thrown out there like a pair of dirty panties.

oh and btw i don't care what leopard gecko wiki says :yes:

cassadaga

Oregon Rainwater
I would just call it a hypo. I agree with Robin, there is no standard rule for what makes a hypo. To me, it is easy to tell when an animal is from hypo lines, because they rarely have spots outside of the bands. A non hypo animal would develop spotting all over.

Visit our friends