More incubator confusion...

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Ok, so I have read the threads on the MR148 incubator that was explained by LLL themselves, and the one where Reptipro stepped in and explained their incubator. I understand their said products.

I just wanted to know if people have had EXPERIENCE themselves with either the reptipro 5000 and the MR148. I wanted to know which one was recommended for purchase, by those people in this community.
There is an extreme cost difference ,IMO. So tell me what yall think! Sell me on it =]

Also, if anyone has experience with the Accu-temp 6000. Any differences with this product? It looks the same, seems to have the same features... whats the difference?

Baoh

These are the same. All of them. Any claims to the contrary are fabrications.

I have posted several times in the past regarding this type of incubator. They are useful for the small-to-medium volume type of breeder. However, there are some things one should keep in mind. If you'd like to know more, just search through the posts I have made on the subject. Repetition gets old.

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Ya know, I understand that repitition gets old, and I wasnt necessarily asking for you to repeat yourself.
I was asking for peoples specific experiences with the incubators in question.
I have checked out and searched several threads, thanks. If you wish not to repeat yourself with info that you posted elsewhere, than simply pass on my question.
My question is for those who wish to share their experiences and rate which ones are better and recommend the best one for me.

Plus, I just read your specific thread, and that doesnt really answer any of my questions. I am not buying a cooler/warmer fridge. I just dont trust it to be the same. As Reptipro and LLL both said, they are not the same product, period. Different thermostat, etc. And I dont want to chance it.
I want peoples true experiences and recommendations with the said incubators above.

Last edited:

Gregg M

Registered Member
Hey Melanie,
I do not think there is much difference between those style incubators and the hot/cold mini fridge to be honest... They all seem to have the same issue with the thermostat control...

They will work as long as you have your owm thermometer to set the temps properly and not rely on their thermo read out...

I feel safer building my own out of wine fridges... All of my parts can be easily and quickly replaced if they fail (have not had a problem yet) and I can put my thermostat probe anywhere I chose...

A couple of my incubators are 7 years old and running strong...

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Thanks Gregg, that is a big help.
Can you elaborate more on this thermostat problem? I havent read that anywhere as of yet. Also, can you tell me how I would go about building one out of a wine fridge? If that is what you recommend, I would certainly think about it. ( you can PM me if you would rather, doesnt matter to me)
I do plan on using those SIM containers to put the eggs in.
Thanks so much!

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
They all have a digital screen that is supposed to display the temp. However, when you put in your own thermometer it is apparent that the display is wrong. I have heard and seen anywhere from only 1-2 deg up to 10-12 deg off. It sucks they have this problem but they do hold temps pretty decent and as long as you adjust it yourself it should work fine. Just make sure your getting your temp from inside the sim so you have the most accurate heating for your geckos.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I haven't incubated eggs in my reptipro5000 yet but I have just finished callibrating it by placing a digital thermometer with probe in the fridge and putting the probe in the SIM. The results are that the fridge is set to 85, the readout is usually 84 or 85 and the digital thermometer runs from about 81.9-83, which is where I want it. I have a feeling that the thermostat is on/off and not proportional, though I don't know for sure, but the temperature variation is about the same as I got last season with the hobovator and the proportional thermostat and that worked out well for me. I will post data on my success/failure when I have eggs and when they hatch. I mostly got this for the cooling option for when my house gets hotter in the summer than my incubation temperatures.

Aliza

jermh1

I have a thermoelectric wine cooler that I reversed the wires to the cooler to make heat, I use a ranco temp controller http://cgi.ebay.com/RANCO-ETC-11100...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5885686f99
which I just plug the whole wine cooler into, there is a drain in the bottom which the probe can be fed into, so no drilling. it is on/off and not proportional but still I kept thermometers in with my eggs for a while and it stays pretty much dead on 81 and the controlls are set for 82 with 2 deg offset, O and the temp on the wine cooler readout is 97-99 so their probe must be on the actuall cooler plate.

I know it does not exactly answer your question, but iths just my experience

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
I have a thermoelectric wine cooler that I reversed the wires to the cooler to make heat, I use a ranco temp controller http://cgi.ebay.com/RANCO-ETC-11100...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5885686f99
which I just plug the whole wine cooler into, there is a drain in the bottom which the probe can be fed into, so no drilling. it is on/off and not proportional but still I kept thermometers in with my eggs for a while and it stays pretty much dead on 81 and the controlls are set for 82 with 2 deg offset, O and the temp on the wine cooler readout is 97-99 so their probe must be on the actuall cooler plate.

I know it does not exactly answer your question, but iths just my experience

This is exactly what I am looking for, peoples experience and input. So you did help, thank you!
I still encourage more input from everyone please! =]

jermh1

Here is the actual fridge im using, I had not planned on even using the thermo electric cooler/heater but figured id give it a try, now its still working fine, into the second season. they stopped making them, but you can find them around for pretty cheap, I got mine for 59 shipped. One bit of advice though if you convert any wine cooler, is to firmly either screw or foil tape your probe in place. The cooler/heater can heat it way over 100 in a few min, I lost a few eggs last year because I had the probe taped to my container, and when I went to take out the first 2 hatchlings the tape did not stick back to good, it fell down inbetween some cups on the bottom, within 30min it killed everything, even the cricket eggs.
Oster 12-Bottle Wine Cellar - OW0912H6H

http://auctions.overstock.com/item/43360826

Visit our friends