Neurological problem, possible cause?

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
We shipped this gecko last week, he is a Mack Snow Patternless. Upon arrival, he started exhibiting traits that are occasionally seen in Enigmas, such as head jerking, back flipping, and the wobbles.

He did not show any of this kind of behavior before he was shipped. Granted, he always was very skittish and jumpy, but he still maneuvered normally.

Here is a video of him after he arrived at his new home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umiaJu8beuM

What could be the cause?

Is it possible that he hatched with this problem, but the issue remained dormant until he was put under a lot of stress from shipping? He did come from one generation of inbreeding. I've always read that 1-3 generations of inbreeding isn't usually a problem. Prior to this one generation of inbreeding, the bloodlines of each parent were both very strong and from highly reputable breeders. He was the only baby that hatched from 4 eggs, all of the other eggs were infertile.

The only other thing I can think of is possible trauma during shipping. I always make sure they are pretty snug in their deli cup and we use styrofoam peanuts for void fill inside of the box, so any tossing around during shipment shouldn't be so much of a problem for the gecko. There was also a second gecko inside of the box that did not have any problems after arrival. UPS did deliver to the wrong house and the box sat on a porch for a few hours longer than it should have, but the heat pack was still warm when the box was opened. Also, the gecko was not in a cold coma or anything upon arrival, he was awake and alert. Or is it possible that he went into a cold coma but was awakened when the box opened? I always figured they wouldn't wake up that quickly if they had fallen into a cold coma, but have never actually dealt with one personally.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think it makes sense to give the gecko a few days to get over the stress and then see what happens. It doesn't look to me like the enigma circling situation, but more like a balance issue. Maybe he had some inner ear problems from the trip. I had one day gecko arrive in a cold coma a few years ago (she's fat and sassy now) and you're right, they don't wake up that fast.

Aliza

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
Thanks Aliza, it has been a week now since the shipment and there was some improvement at first but he still wobbles pretty bad and whips his head back when he moves quickly, which he tends to do a lot since he's so skittish.

If he had an inner ear problem from the trip that is causing the balance issue, do you think he will recover fully? Is there anything that can be done to help him?

Coils

Gecko Geek
Thanks Aliza, it has been a week now since the shipment and there was some improvement at first but he still wobbles pretty bad and whips his head back when he moves quickly, which he tends to do a lot since he's so skittish.

If he had an inner ear problem from the trip that is causing the balance issue, do you think he will recover fully? Is there anything that can be done to help him?

Yes, was going to ask the same. I hope nothing like a serious vet trip is needed already(since i JUST got him), but will he really need something like that...how can you even fix an inner ear problem if that's what happened?

Coils

Gecko Geek
Oh and so everyone knows, he's pooped and it looks fine. Nothing watery ect ect..just normal poo.

Visit our friends