People who don't look at the.....

Dimidiata

On most forums thats called necroing and is forbidden, thoughts said. Also tends to push newer more attention needing threads down to the bottom of the page. Over 2 weeks without a responce and it should either be left to die or if the OP has new and importenet info they should post it there. Say i ask about my snakes diet and im told to take it to the vet. 1 week later i post the snakes vet details then say 3 weeks after i could post the snakes recovery process since its a new and relevent topic. It is usless to provide advice or say rip in a thread that is months old and no longer requires attention. One thing i cant stand though is when a thread is left with bad or misinfo and then all the people on the net can search and see it and thus recive mis info aswell. But for the most part that doesnt happen. I have seen alot of necroing here and some people seem to get defensive about it.

Pinky81

I think Ive done this before too....The most recent one I remember was the GF bumper sticker thread!! I was reading thru it and realized it was from 2007 or something...haha I did post but I had to chuckle that it was that old and I didn't realize it till I was like 5 pages in!!! Those dates are soooo small!!! LOL

Desdemona

I am sure I have been or will be guilty of it too,though if I am browsing for topics I try to pay attention to the date before saying anything. If someone else posts and it shows up on the "new posts," link then I don't pay attention.

For some topics I don't think its a big deal. Information changes as we work with these animals and learn more. What we thought in 2007 might be wrong and it coudl be worth readdressing the topic for FYI type of stuff.

In her books Jacqueline Carey often states (or at least some of her fiction characters state this), "All knowledge is worth having," and I agree with that completely!

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I have to admit I have responded to a resurrected, old post... mostly because someone else did. I always click on 'new posts' without looking at the thread date in most cases. I try now to pay attention to that.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I'm creating an alert. In ten years time, my cell phone is going to beep, reminding me to bump this thread.

sunshinegeckos

seamus you crack me up! lol I dont think I have bumped an old post unless it was me updating on my own post but I have been taken in by reading posts and not realizing they were years old until the end when someone says that its years old lol

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
With slightly more respect to the topic at hand, and in the context of the rant section...

Thread necromancy bugs the hell out of me on a scale that seems to be inversely proportional to the value of whatever post was made bringing it back to the top.

It's a little weird under all circumstances, especially when the existing (old) posts were made by people who haven't logged into the website in years, but a well thought out, well spoken post adding to the subject doesn't really hurt anything.

Sometimes the responses are themselves not... good. Bumping a thread to beg for free animals, or with misinformation, or to pick a fight with someone who hasn't logged in for three years (especially if the fight picker is wrong about the thing they are fighting over), or when the response is strange and incongruous, or something trite ("lol" or "I agree!" just tacked on to the end). Oftentimes spawning more responses as people who use the New Post feature don't notice when it was from and contribute.*

That is to say... I don't like it when I get the feeling like it's making work for someone. Either the mods who have to come along and point out that it's a five year old ad and the animal is probably sold by now, or the members who end up having to step in and refute something in the interests of not letting bad info sit unchallenged.

Many of them seem to be a result of search engines, brand spanking new registered members with one post, raising an old thread. Many of them seem to be a result of polls not having a closing date, where a vote puts it back on top as if it had a new reply. Sometimes it's a member who should probably know enough to double check the dates if they used the search engine or started scrolling backwards through time to get where they are though.

There are worse things. It's always that combination of old thread plus bad post that sets me off, just a bump I shrug and move on. Which is saying something, because I am downright cranky. About everything.

*although at that point, one could argue that it is a new, ongoing discussion that just happens to be about the same subject. It really matters to my sense of wrongness how often the old posts are quoted.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I also get annoyed by someone who bumps and old post for no real reason. I don't get the point.

Along the same lines (sort of), I get e-mails from people asking for geckos that were posted in ads 6 months to 1+ years ago. Why make the effort to go back that far in the classifieds? I had three in one week from an animal that has been gone for a year. The gecko was nothing special. I just don't get it.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I recently resurrected an older post of my own, because new information was available on the topic and I didn't want to start another thread... which I find equally annoying.

Dimidiata

^ thats ok. So long as theres good reason, new info, or more questions why not. If it bring up a importent convo then its useful.

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I think there's two different kinds of thread necroafication, one not cool and the other I find makes a lot of sense.

Of course if someone posts a specific health question about their animal, then a reply six months later is just retarded.

However, sometimes there is information being shared or discussion going on that is helpful and it may be best for new information be situated in the same thread rather than start a new one. For the sake of future searches and organization.

Here's a recent example I was involved in- http://www.geckosunlimited.com/comm...s/41933-henk-egg-still-alive-dent-cracks.html

Visit our friends