Raptor question.

cj.thomas21

CJ Thomas
I got a question that will hopefully spark a good debate. If a Raptor stands for a Red eyed Albino Patternless Tremper ORange how can we have a snaked eyed raptor. Is it just cuz it is easy to call it that or what do you think?

Wandering Paddle

its a terrible acronym.
Breeding 2 snake eyes can give you everything from 0% eclipse eyes to 100% eclipse eyes, even if both homozygous eclipse animals can only produce homozygous eclipse offspring. It works the same way with 100% eclipse eyed animals bred to other 100% eclipse eye animals. You often dont know what you will get and offspring will vary.

patternless stripe can be inconsistent and so can eclipse. They usually act simple recessive, but they arent actually simple recessive traits

Last edited:

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
The name rapTor is very catchy and thats why it stuck, however labeling and marketing for them varies from breeder to breeder. As far as snake eyes go, I personally think that since it is obviously expressing the eclipse gene (be it 100% or 1%) then its a raptor. The body is a whole different topic.

Deko Gecko

A.P.T.O.R., R.A.P.T.O.R. & "Eclipse" are essentially three variations of the same Tremper Albino morph. A.P.T.O.R. stands for Albino Patternless Tangerine Orange, and R.A.P.T.O.R denotes specimens with red eyes. The "Eclipse" refers to a non-Albino variation of this morph and is occasionally used to refer to Leopard Geckos with "Snake Eyes". More information at www.LeopardGecko.com

cj.thomas21

CJ Thomas
How I understand it is there is normal eyes and eclipse, and then there is the albino form of each for the normal it is snakes and then for the eclipse it is red eyes. Am I true?

Is it possible to breed 2 snake eyed raptors and end up with a red eyed F1?

Aren't the snake eye, eclipse eye and red eyes all caused by the Eclipse mutation?

cj.thomas21

CJ Thomas
So if you have a gecko with full snake eyes do you sell it as a snaked eyed raptor or just a patternless albino?

The name rapTor is very catchy and thats why it stuck, however labeling and marketing for them varies from breeder to breeder. As far as snake eyes go, I personally think that since it is obviously expressing the eclipse gene (be it 100% or 1%) then its a raptor. The body is a whole different topic.

OneFootedAce

So if you have a gecko with full snake eyes do you sell it as a snaked eyed raptor or just a patternless albino?

patternless (murphys patternless) is not apart of raptor, its patternless stripe that is supposed to a part of it tho, but most of the time, if it is homozygous for tremper and eclipse its classified as a raptor, even though some people disagree with that, a lot of people are selling them as raptors if they are homo for those 2 traits even if they do not hold the patternless stripe gene.

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
...its patternless stripe that is supposed to a part of it tho, but most of the time, if it is homozygous for tremper and eclipse its classified as a raptor, even though some people disagree with that, a lot of people are selling them as raptors if they are homo for those 2 traits even if they do not hold the patternless stripe gene.

+1!

Agreed.

cj.thomas21

CJ Thomas
Yea I sorry for the misunderstanding I didnt mean murphys patternless, if it express the homozygous for tremper and eclipse you should just drop to R off of raptor and classify it as an aptor. What do you think?

patternless (murphys patternless) is not apart of raptor, its patternless stripe that is supposed to a part of it tho, but most of the time, if it is homozygous for tremper and eclipse its classified as a raptor, even though some people disagree with that, a lot of people are selling them as raptors if they are homo for those 2 traits even if they do not hold the patternless stripe gene.

artgecko

Yea I sorry for the misunderstanding I didnt mean murphys patternless, if it express the homozygous for tremper and eclipse you should just drop to R off of raptor and classify it as an aptor. What do you think?

Doesn't APTOR mean that it is NOT homozygous for Eclipse? That is how it is descrpibed at leopardgeckowiki.com
An APTOR is a Tremper Albino Patternless Orange Leopard Gecko. APTORs are a combination morph of two recessive traits and line bred colors.

Wandering Paddle

The wiki pages on aptors and raptors are a little thin, and somewhat misleading in terms of what patternless means. But yes, aptor does not visually express the eclipse trait.
For simplicity raptor should be understood as eclipse/tremper; unless otherwise stated, such as reverse stripe raptor, banded raptor, jungle raptor, etc... Some disagree with me on this, but i think it would be the simplest way to let everyone understand.

OneFootedAce

The wiki pages on aptors and raptors are a little thin, and somewhat misleading in terms of what patternless means. But yes, aptor does not visually express the eclipse trait.
For simplicity raptor should be understood as eclipse/tremper; unless otherwise stated, such as reverse stripe raptor, banded raptor, jungle raptor, etc... Some disagree with me on this, but i think it would be the simplest way to let everyone understand.

i dont disagree, i agree 100%. :thumbsup:

Kellyr

I have a raptor he was born with and has kept his solid red eyes (they are very very sensitive to light) but his pattern is far from patternless =( he has poopy red spots all over... like a light brown with reddish tint.. I wish he would have stayed the way he was in my avatar pic

Visit our friends