• Sand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LukasCAX

Hi all,

I have a 3 year old Leo (called Gaia). I’ve always used the green matting stuff as substrate but I really don’t like it. Her claws and mouth (when she catches a cricket) seem to get stuck and I’m worried it’ll cause her an injury.

What do you all use? What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Lukas

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I use ceramic tile. I get 12"x12" beige, slightly textured tiles from the home improvement store. Sometimes they need to be cut. They look nice, conduct heat well and are easy to clean. I put a smaller bathroom tile (4.25" square) in the poop corner to make it easy to lift it out and clean it. I have used coco fiber but am happier with the tile.

Aliza

EjDante

Hey @acpart , can you share a photo of your tiles? I am currently using the Zilla green carpet, and I've noticed when my Leo eats, at times her teeth may get caught in the fine fibers (even though this carpet is brand new). I was at Lowe's today and say some nice gray slate-like ceramic tile, but would love to see exactly what you are using? Do you have gaps in between your tiles? How large is the floor space? I think the tile or slate idea is intriguing but also was concerned that perhaps the combined pieces would be too much for the glass bottom of the enclosure. I have an Exo Terra 24X18X12. Thank you!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's a picture of my 24x18x12 (sorry for the mess; it's next up on the cleaning schedule). By the time I was doing this enclosure, I had a lot of spare tile pieces. It features a 16"x16" tile which I probably bought, and some extra pieces. As you can see, there's a bare spot.

Aliza

Attachments

• IMG_2535.jpg
    IMG_2535.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 7

VampCramp

My gecko got stuck on the carpet too! First time I've ever seen that happen with the reptile carpet. I thought I maybe got a bad one.. Tile does seem like a nice choice. If you don't mind the look, paper towels work great.

Visit our friends