substrate... i want advice

Smidget88

I have just bought a 20 gallon Long tank to accomodate my "children" i have decided to try coco fiber, a few pals i have on here support the idea others are vey nervous about it. I have 3 leos now lol but only two are big enough to be together in the 20 long. I was wondering if anyone else has used coco fiber as the entire substrate? I was using cage carpet in my 10 gallon, but spot (my oldest) her nails are getting caught in the carpet and i feel real bad when shes after a cricket and then bam shes caught! I have been using paper towels in my other gecko flowers quarantine set up but its truly starting to prove to be expensive over time. i know sand is a huge no no, and i have heard co co is questionable. what are your thoughts, opinions, experiences with coco?

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
I think the best option for a tank is floor tile. You can usually even talk someone at the hardware store into cutting it to the size you need. There are so many choices as far as color and texture that enable you to achieve the natural look you're wanting and you can wipe it clean.

sammer021486

I agree with Mel&Keith, floor tile is excellent. I use slate and it holds and disperses heat very well through out my tanks. Very simple to clean and maintain.

If you want to use coco fiber I would opt for Zoo Med's it is very finely ground, but will be dusty I think, unless you wet it a bit.

Sand is alright too, it is the vitamin and calcium sands that are bad. If you are going to use sand grab a bag of childern's play sand from a DIY store like home depot.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I do use coco fiber for my fat tails and banded geckos (who seem to appreciate more humidity than the leopards even though they come from similar dry climates). I use tile for the leopard geckos primarily because I'm keeping the humidity lower and don't want to have it be too dusty for them.

Aliza

Smidget88

i was thinkin the humidity would help cause spot has shedding trouble with the toes especially so im hoping for the best ill be monitoring poops i assure ya lol

sammer021486

i was thinkin the humidity would help cause spot has shedding trouble with the toes especially so im hoping for the best ill be monitoring poops i assure ya lol

My female crestie ingests the Zoo Med eco-earth all the time, but I require the eco-earth for her to lay her eggs and she passes the coco fiber no problem.

Khrysty

Just try not to keep it *too* humid. There's a risk of respiratory infection if they're in a too humid environment for too long.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
You can use tile for the substrate and then offer 2 humid hides with coco fiber, one on the warm side and one on the cool side. You can also lay a damp papertowel over the tile when you see that she's going into shed to raise the humidity.

turbogex

I use Reptibark for a natural look substrate. I been using it for 10 yrs with no problems. It is big enough to not cause issues in my oppinion.

mindgamer8907

I'm getting to be like a broken record here so why not another bout: I use foam rubber shelf liner in my tanks and such. It's great because they can get a handle on it without getting stuck, and it can be kept either humid or dry based on your liking. It's simpler to clean than repti-carpet and you don't really have to throw it away except maybe once or twice a year. One draw back (and it's a big one, but preventable) is that mold can grow if it isn't cleaned frequently enough while being kept humid. Just be sure to clean it every two weeks or so and you'll have no worries.

bman123

That shelf liner is only $2 for a 4ft long 12 inch wide roll. Heck just throw it away once a month or something. I don't know how you would clean it. I'm guessing soak it in a solution of wattered down bleach.
I'm going to home depot today to see if I can get some cheap tile or something to use in my tank. If not then I will use the shelf liner.

Khrysty

That shelf liner is only $2 for a 4ft long 12 inch wide roll. Heck just throw it away once a month or something. I don't know how you would clean it. I'm guessing soak it in a solution of wattered down bleach.
I'm going to home depot today to see if I can get some cheap tile or something to use in my tank. If not then I will use the shelf liner.

We clean ours with dish soap. Alternatively, you can just throw it in the washing machine then dry it.

bman123

I'm thinking of going the tile route today. If I end up by lowest or home depot I'm sure I will come home with some. It is super cheap like .49 cents for a 6"x6" piece. Depending on your tank size it can be really cheap and look really nice.

Eric1969

I have recently put 2 ceramic tiles in mine over what use to be sand. I left a 4 inch section on the one side sand, because he prefers sand, since that is what he was always on, but I wanted to change to try and help protect him. I am going to feed him in another container so he does not accidentally eat the sand, though a little is okay and they should pass it....

Visit our friends