what do i do when i have a....

R

redza

dad who wants to kill my gecko?
he hates geckos and i just bought one home today, and he's threathening to kill it.
the dude who sold it to me doesnt want to take it in.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
First off that was a silly thing to do if you knew your dad didn't like geckos in the first place. But over that sit down with him and ask him what he has against geckos?
Tell him that your leo wont escape and they have great personalities, they have claws not sucker pads so won't be escaping and climbing up walls, they use very little electricity in terms of power as a heat mat takes little power.

If all of this fails what does your mom have to say about it?

Other ideas would be get a lock on the room its in so your dad can't get to it.

Or compare it to something he likes, so say the tv, how would he like it if he brought home a brand new tv and you destroyed it. Not a good feeling.

Also say the feeders (im assuming your feeding mealies) well they have almost no dietry requirements apart from fruit and that for gutloading so no extra cost there.

You will be buying all the stuff for the gecko food supplements etc im gathering or is your dad shelling out for everything like that, also, how did he not notice the viv/tank that your going to keep the leo in ?

i think that about covers it.

R

redza

i didnt even know he has things againts lizards -.- thats the whole problem.
but thanks anyways, i would go trough the tv trashing thing :)

R

redza

but its so "eew" to other people. should i give it away to the petshops?

Kolkri

This is my Pumpkin
Depends on the shop I guess.
But it beats Dad killing it I guess.
But I would put an ad on graigs list and at least ask a small rehome fee.
Also make sure they know how to care for it and have a habitat set up before they get it.
Also next time ask before you bring home a pet.

R

redza

my mom said its okay to bring home the gecko -.- im like in a messed up ball of yarn :(

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Well then stick by your mother, and just talk it through with your dad to see, say you can keep it in your room and he will never have to touch it/see it.

R

redza

he says its bad for the spirits around the house. all that hokey pokey 10,000 bc sh*t(were muslim)

Kolkri

This is my Pumpkin
Ahhh
I would not go against his wishes. Find out what pet he well allow and see about getting that instead.

R

redza

i have had hamsters. fishes. hermit crabs. turtles. birds. lobsters. shrimps. cats.
im so sick of other pets. they are so... dull... but geckos have a personality... unlike a fish or a turtle -.-

shadowdragon619

Finds me a dragon!
my dad isnt very fond of lizards and scaley things either. So we made a deal...i keep the gecko in my room and away from him, and he stays out of my room away from my gecko. try to tell your dad it will stay in your room. maybe get a screen for the top of your tank like i did to help give him "peace of mind" that it wont get out.

lol, no matter how many times i tell him my gecko cant get out of her cage, he still instist that her tank has a lid.

just try reasoning with him, let him know you kno how to take care of it.

freshprince2146

Yupp my dad hates my gecko. He says as long as he doesn't have to see it or touch it he doesn't have a problem with me owning one. Although he's getting used to him little by little he even handled him already. lol

robin

you should have asked both of your parents before commuting to the gecko. i know your mom is okay with it but you need to be respectful of your fathers beliefs (even though they seem old and out dated)

leoman777

Depends on the shop I guess.
But it beats Dad killing it I guess.
But I would put an ad on graigs list and at least ask a small rehome fee.
Also make sure they know how to care for it and have a habitat set up before they get it.
Also next time ask before you bring home a pet.

lol sorry is craigslist not graigs list xD but anyways like everybody else said just try to talk to him.

R

redza

hes all.... freaky when he looks at me. he's those type of people... i mean if he doesnt like it. i cant have it even if i pay for it -.- now he wants it out of the house. so... its 80 bucks to waste :mad: im muslim, and he says we cant keep lizards (in which it is a certain type of lizards that we cant keep, not geckos). i didnt say anything. i just walked away. even if i try to talk to him. he will still say no. cause he likes it his way -.-

Visit our friends