What is the best incubation substrate?

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I've used both perlite and vermiculite. Both work equally well, I lean towards perlite because I feel it has better aeration, but both work quite well.

goReptiles

I used superhatch last year and it was wonderful! I thought about just using the SIM incubation container deal, but I didn't have any problems with humidity or molding last year with superhatch. I figure I'll give it another year before I decide if I'm going to get the SIM containers. What I like is that superhatch is reusable. Just bake it at the end of the season and it's good to go. Each time I had geckos hatch, I just dumped the superhatch stuff in a container that had cricket food in it when I bought it, and I'll be baking it all soon. I bought like 3 or 4 bags of the stuff, but only used one bag last year.

I have used hatch rite, perlite and Coco fiber for the last few years now. I have decided that I like the perlite for a few reasons. I use the perlite in my laying boxes so my eggs don't get stained from the bedding like the fiber. And I also use it in the incubator for the same reason and I have never had an egg dry out on me with the stuff. The hatch rite is good as well but it is just perlite with tiny pieces of water crystals in it and you will pay triple for the hatch rite over a bag of perlite. I put some crystals in a few of my perlite cups last year and I really didn’t see a difference. Neither container dried out. The fiber works well but I had a few eggs dry out from it and it really stains the eggs to the point where it is hard to candle them. If you use fiber check on your eggs daily. I have never tried vermiculite but I would assume it will stain the eggs as well.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Perlite for hatching

I've used both perlite and vermiculite. Both work equally well, I lean towards perlite because I feel it has better aeration, but both work quite well.

Perlite should LOOK dry because it is a
drainage/aireation material made from lava rock.
Info per Hoffman Company...
Makers of both Perlite and Vermiculite.
Vermiculite being to retain moisture.
The reason Perlite is a better choice
(for less error in the moisture content)
is that it does not let your egg set in water
it surrounds it with humidity.
This comes from NO holes in the lid of your hatch
container, and the perlite properties of aireaition
and drainage.
Somewhat the same principal as the SIM containers,
which IMO should do an excellent job.
And I realize many people have other successful
methods and materials....some being with vermiculite.
What works for you that makes you satisfied
with the percentages will be your
preference of course.
But knowing a bit about why some are
not hatching IMO is worth the read.
Take care. HJ

Visit our friends