Euthanasia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandyballs

I'm not a phycopath or something but here we go...(had a bad dream..)

Let's say after a week of losing your gecko you find it half dead...
It's pale, missing it's tail and 3 legs and for some reason white stuff is coming out it's mouth.
Let's face it, it's not going to live, how would you stop it from suffering?

LizMarie

I thought the freezer was the "cruel" thing to do? Don't breeders use a CO2 chamber or something like that... I could have read wrong.

CHAMpion

The freezer method has been discussed several times on this site and for good ethical reason. I'm sure people still do it because it's easy and doesn't cost them any money compared to going to the vet.

Olimpia

La Española
If you search the forum I'm sure you can find a description of a CO2 chamber. People die all the time from CO2 poisoning and it's supposedly painless - it's like drifting off to sleep. It seems like the best at-home method for a humane death, as far as I understand.

Chibii

A Bright Reptile
I would go whit Olimpia's thought. Maybe it would cost some afford but at least you do not let the poor thing suffer from cold.

jayson

reptile euthanize kit

i cant recall where i saw them selling these,but basically its just a standard plastic container with some kind of co2 thing hooked up to it...it just puts them to sleep(forever) no pain no suffering,just the sad thoughts in you head.

C

critternerd

my advice, put him into a plastic bag, tie the plastic bag around your car muffler, and start the car up. the CO will put him to sleep, and then hell pass away without ever knowing it.

Sorry about your loss

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
my advice, put him into a plastic bag, tie the plastic bag around your car muffler, and start the car up. the CO will put him to sleep, and then hell pass away without ever knowing it.

Yeah, except the part about not being able to escape the large roaring animal his plastic bag is being forced up against.

I hope no one would take this method seriously.
Because it is NOT humane (in my opinion).

C

critternerd

I never though about the noise... he probably wouldnt be conscious long enough to really be scared though, would he?

dprince

Mod Squad Member
The term you're looking for is "euthanasia", and if you use the search function, you'll find a lot of good information. I'm closing this thread to avoid any "stirring the pot." Thanks. :)

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I am concerned about this thread and a few of the members that are borderline suggesting the inhumane abuse and torture of geckos. Use your brains, people! There are plenty of threads here on GeckoForums.net that describe the humane ways to end a dying gecko's suffering.

If you cannot take your gecko to a qualified vet for euthanasia, or have a proper CO2 chamber to do it yourself, you should simply put the gecko in a zip-lock bag and into the refrigerator for several hours until it goes into a coma and asphyxiates. After that, it can be put in the freezer. DO NOT put a live gecko directly in the freezer.

(edit: I was posting as you were, Deb. Thanks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visit our friends