Is Sharing a Gecko a Bad Idea?

Baoh

Ok i guess the pet stores where you live are awesome. I live in Miami with a bunch of big chain stores. I have never been in a petstore where the animals are taken care of adequately. Never have I seen a manager or employee care if there is a dead animal in the same tank as several live ones. 90% of them have regenerated tails because they get hides and stuff dropped on them. Thay are all skinny and lethargic. I have owned several leos from different chain pet stores in my area and all had large ammounts of parasites, missing toes from not being provided a proper hide and were underweight and malnourished. Because of these conditions, they all had great medical costs. All I can do is share my own experiences.

That comes across as a local dilemma, then. Some places will be better than others. Some breeders will be better than others. I prefer breeders for specific defined traits. For simple pets, the big chains are generally fine (although relatively overpriced for what you receive). Once in a while, a gem can be found, too.

MiamiLeos

Fiction.

I can and have tested quite a few big chain store purchases for others.

Have you?

The two times I have found geckos with pinworm infestations, by the way, were from what the community considers reputable breeders. I wormed the individuals and that was that in those two cases.

Simply making a declaration does not mandate it is a matter of fact.

There are surely some leopard geckos that have various infestations from pet stores, but the bulk of them likely do not.

Besides the big chain stores, which are supplied by the seriously big breeders you'd probably love to buy animals from, smaller operations are often supplied by small-time hobbyist breeders like myself.

The sources you recommend and the sources you advise against are often the same.

Stating something does not make it a matter of fact just as it does not make it automatically fiction, as you said.

As for where the geckos come from, it is not the breeders problem, it is the fact that they are kept in chain stores and some low quality local stores for weeks, sometimes months at a time without proper care. examples: **** keeps all their leopard geckos on sand, even hatchlings. They do not provide a himid hide, calcium, or consistant water. The pathetic meal worms that they put in the dish stay there for days untill they either die or escape or get eaten by a desperate gecko. They recieve large shipments of newly hatched babies, 8 grams MAX, and stuff 15 or so of them into something that equals about 2/3 of a 10 gallon tank. They are under bright viewing lights constantly and provided one hide for all of them to smash into. When their tails drop they are not cleaned properly, separated or taken off the sand. Bacteria infections can easily occor from an untreated wound and even become a problem when toes becoms exposed due to bad shedding. If even one animal in that small enclosure is sick with any kind of bacteria, parasite, or virus I would bet that within a week every other animal would be as well. ***** does keep their leos on repti carpet and they do provide water. There are some half dead looking crickets running loose in the enclosure. They are under bright lights as well and this can stress nocturnal animals. No calcium. One hide with dry moss in it. I have owned several leos from both **** and **** Every time I came home with one, I spent hundreds of dollars trying to get rid of one or another parasitical or bacterial infection. Two of my pet store leos I eventually had to put down because their infections were so severe. It all starts from the begining. They are shipped out too young, not provided adequate husbandry and medical attention, get sick, and then sold to the public. Do not get me wrong. I loved all my pet store pick ups very deeply but that does not mean I will be coming home with another one. By buying another 'rescue' I am only giving the company a profit for treating animals inhumanely and opening up another spot in their store for them to mistreat another animal. This is my point of view. Not fact, not fiction, just my opinion as I said before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

Stating something does not make it a matter of fact just as it does not make it automatically fiction, as you said.

As for where the geckos come from, it is not the breeders problem, it is the fact that they are kept in chain stores and some low quality local stores for weeks, sometimes months at a time without proper care. examples: **** keeps all their leopard geckos on sand, even hatchlings. They do not provide a himid hide, calcium, or consistant water. The pathetic meal worms that they put in the dish stay there for days untill they either die or escape or get eaten by a desperate gecko. They recieve large shipments of newly hatched babies, 8 grams MAX, and stuff 15 or so of them into something that equals about 2/3 of a 10 gallon tank. They are under bright viewing lights constantly and provided one hide for all of them to smash into. When their tails drop they are not cleaned properly, separated or taken off the sand. Bacteria infections can easily occor from an untreated wound and even become a problem when toes becoms exposed due to bad shedding. If even one animal in that small enclosure is sick with any kind of bacteria, parasite, or virus I would bet that within a week every other animal would be as well. ****does keep their leos on repti carpet and they do provide water. There are some half dead looking crickets running loose in the enclosure. They are under bright lights as well and this can stress nocturnal animals. No calcium. One hide with dry moss in it. I have owned several leos from both **** and ****. Every time I came home with one, I spent hundreds of dollars trying to get rid of one or another parasitical or bacterial infection. Two of my pet store leos I eventually had to put down because their infections were so severe. It all starts from the begining. They are shipped out too young, not provided adequate husbandry and medical attention, get sick, and then sold to the public. Do not get me wrong. I loved all my pet store pick ups very deeply but that does not mean I will be coming home with another one. By buying another 'rescue' I am only giving the company a profit for treating animals inhumanely and opening up another spot in their store for them to mistreat another animal. This is my point of view. Not fact, not fiction, just my opinion as I said before.

You are ignoring that you made the original claim. As such, the onus is on you to defend it. It's a very basic rule of logic.

All of the stuff you just listed is not an argument providing evidence of high frequency parasitism. You changed your story. Look at what you said. Then look at what I said. Don't add more before you can handle the first claim. Plenty of stores keep their geckos poorly. However, that 1) was not the original claim made by you which I responded to and 2) there are plenty of stores that keep their geckos well enough in terms of temporary housing for sales purposes. Somehow other people are getting so many relatively healthy pet store grade geckos. Must be magic. Or not.

A pet store pick up is not a rescue. It is a purchase. Plain and simple. I am inclined to think the tale of parasitism run rampant in a bunch of big chain stores in Miami is hyperbole.

MiamiLeos

I am by no means ignoring my original claim. If you look back I said that many pet store leos come with health problems. I went on to further explain that this is not directly from the breeder, but from the conditions in whech they are kept while at the pet stores. Also, I was not debating about high frequency paracitism. Calcium deficiency, impaction, poor shedding, poor food, and lack of basic medical and hygenic needs are among the other problems. The crowded conditions lead to more exposed feces and paracitical and bacterial transfer from animal to animal. Another thing, I did not say all pet stores keep their animals in terrible condition. The person who started this thread was purchasing from a large chain store, so those are the stores I am referring to. Lastly, just because you purchase an animal from a pet store and it lives healthy for another 6 months does not mean it is a healthy animal. If you buy an animal with no history of its previous background and neglect to take an animal to a veterinarian and have a full exam done on the animal then you literally have no idea what is going on in that animals system. Just because a leo looks fine, does not mean it is free of parasites, bacterial infections, mineral deficiencies, or viruses. Leos, and most other reptiles, have a weak immune system compared to our own. If left alone, a simple respiratory infection can terminate their existance. By the time these animals show symptoms, the organism has been in their body long enough to start shutting down vital functions. Anyways, I dont know if you feel like I'm degrading you or your leos because you got them from a pet store but that was not my intent at all. I merely suggested that this person buy their leo from a good breeder where they can be more sure of its medical and genetic background.

MiamiLeos

Cola7 -

I apologize for this thread getting off topic. Back to your original concern, it is really up to the two of you to decide if you want to share or if you want your own. If you get two females of relative size they can live in the same enclosure so you will only have to buy one tank. Even though this was probably not what you were expecting, I'm sure these discussions can help you make the choice of where to get your new friend, weather it be from a pet store or a breeder. Best of luck to you with your leo :)

Baoh

let us know how it works out :) but i did notice you were going to bring a leo home from the petstore... why not purchase one from a good, responsible breeder on here? the petstore geckos almost always have an array of parasites and several other health problems.. i mean its just my opinion but i thought i would mention it :)

Fiction.

I am by no means ignoring my original claim. If you look back I said that many pet store leos come with health problems. I went on to further explain that this is not directly from the breeder, but from the conditions in whech they are kept while at the pet stores. Also, I was not debating about high frequency paracitism. Calcium deficiency, impaction, poor shedding, poor food, and lack of basic medical and hygenic needs are among the other problems. The crowded conditions lead to more exposed feces and paracitical and bacterial transfer from animal to animal. Another thing, I did not say all pet stores keep their animals in terrible condition. The person who started this thread was purchasing from a large chain store, so those are the stores I am referring to. Lastly, just because you purchase an animal from a pet store and it lives healthy for another 6 months does not mean it is a healthy animal. If you buy an animal with no history of its previous background and neglect to take an animal to a veterinarian and have a full exam done on the animal then you literally have no idea what is going on in that animals system. Just because a leo looks fine, does not mean it is free of parasites, bacterial infections, mineral deficiencies, or viruses. Leos, and most other reptiles, have a weak immune system compared to our own. If left alone, a simple respiratory infection can terminate their existance. By the time these animals show symptoms, the organism has been in their body long enough to start shutting down vital functions. Anyways, I dont know if you feel like I'm degrading you or your leos because you got them from a pet store but that was not my intent at all. I merely suggested that this person buy their leo from a good breeder where they can be more sure of its medical and genetic background.

Maybe your intentions are such, but your words indicate exactly the opposite of the latest claims.

This is not about a personal stake. It is a matter of correcting baseless misinformation that is being disseminated. All of my current geckos came from breeders or have resulted from my own projects. Also, calling something an opinion when presented as a statement of fact does not excuse it.

Again:

I can and have tested quite a few big chain store purchases for others.

Have you?

I am, among various things, a Biologist with access to an extensive series of micro labs. I don't shake a magic 8-ball to check for parasites.

The kid probably has a healthy gecko and does not need excessive doom and gloom stories to worry him regarding the welfare of his new reptile friend unless he has an actual issue to address.

MiamiLeos

By highlighting only certain words or sentences you make it seem as if you did not take any other statements into consideration. And how else would you state an opinion, may I ask? I'm just wondering if you actually read my posts in their entirity or are basing your arguments off single sentences since in my first post, concerning breeders v.s. pet stores, I ended my statement with a jmo. I dont understand how you could call a statement a fact when I wrote in black in white, Just My Opinion. To answer your question for the second time, yes, I have tested multiple chain pet store leos and other animals for various medical issues and illnesses including, but not limited to, parasites, bacterial infections, viruses, vitamin/mineral dificencys and other medical issues, as I afore mentioned. I do not know you and you do not know me. Your a Biologist. Thats great. I went to Veterinary school. So what. That has anything to do with the discussion. Padding a debate with meaningless 'fluff' is futile and shows nothing for your party. Frankly I am becoming bored with this thread. Over and out.

mindgamer8907

Not gonna take sides, but Boah, you may want to reread the five words after your first instance of bolding Bridgette's text, her original argument was surrounding multiple health disorders. You may have just overlooked it due to your will to disprove a specific claim, it happens.

Anywho, as far as chain stores go, my sample size is far from large (three purchases). First was a relatively healthy baby, and she's never had health problems (the runt of a dozen, she was 7g). The second was a healthy looking, if skinny, juvenile (maybe 18 g? idk). The third was my most recent adoption (4.0 g) and obviously rail thin with a tail to match. Before it's said, I know that was a bad idea please don't condemn me for that just yet. In all this time I visited three different ****, a *****, and smaller, local store. I only purchased from the ****, twice by my school and once at home. I also have a good friend who works at one near home and he provides very good care for his leos especially at the one he works at, though he knows this is not the case all around this chain. The store mentioned by my school is generally decent in their selection, all the animals are relatively healthy (if lacking what we consider proper care). Their tails are usually just fat enough to constitute average health. However, this most recent trip was a horror. Several we had seen before the holidays had died (as they were quite skinny to begin with) and the ones who hadn't or hadn't been sold were sickly (except for one who looked as though it may be 10+ g) This was in the same 9'' by 10'' enclosure as the 4g leo we came home with. The disparity in sizes was enough to make me cringe, but then so was the feces that was in the water dish as well as the food dish (which didn't contain food as the crickets were chewing on the face and tail of the two leos, literally smooshed (though alive as they had buried themselves) beneath the single, bright hide. Though all the other leos scampered at the movement, I vaguely recall one not moving as if asleep or other. Even to the touch he felt a bit off, perched in the "tree."

The point of this horror story is that even a chain that tends to right by their animals (the leos in the tank with my first girl were very happy and healthy looking and this was around November) they can also do quite a bit of wrong (as shown by the leos described).

It really is up to you Cola. You probably already bought that leo by now, but let me see if I can help you choose which is most appealing to you. If you want a leo that you may be able to breed (with a better knowledge of his/her lineage) in the future, it may be wise to go with a breeder. If you really just want a pet, it may be a better idea to go with the local pet store (provided you choose a healthy looking animal, what I did was bad). If you plan to breed, sharing may be a poor decision if you decide that your breeding plans don't call for a certain gecko and you wish to find it a new home to create space/free up cash/trade for specific genetics, but someone else is still more attached emotionally. If not, then by all means cut back the cost. Have fun with your new little one.

PS. (knock on wood) all my little ones are doing well, the ones who were doing poorly are improving. The little one may have just needed the dark.

Cola7

Thanks everyone! You've really given me a lot to think about. Anyways me and my sister have decided to share a single gecko. We've decided to get it from a pet store because we just want a pet, we don't want to breed or anything. Were picking it up when my mom gets home from work. I'll post some pictures or something when he/she is comfortable in her habitat... :D

Baoh

By highlighting only certain words or sentences you make it seem as if you did not take any other statements into consideration. And how else would you state an opinion, may I ask? I'm just wondering if you actually read my posts in their entirity or are basing your arguments off single sentences since in my first post, concerning breeders v.s. pet stores, I ended my statement with a jmo. I dont understand how you could call a statement a fact when I wrote in black in white, Just My Opinion. To answer your question for the second time, yes, I have tested multiple chain pet store leos and other animals for various medical issues and illnesses including, but not limited to, parasites, bacterial infections, viruses, vitamin/mineral dificencys and other medical issues, as I afore mentioned. I do not know you and you do not know me. Your a Biologist. Thats great. I went to Veterinary school. So what. That has anything to do with the discussion. Padding a debate with meaningless 'fluff' is futile and shows nothing for your party. Frankly I am becoming bored with this thread. Over and out.

I read all of your posts, but highlight only the portions I disagree with. There are components to what you have said and I do not disagree with all of those components. Therefore, there is no reason to address components that are not in conflict with evidence I have been privy to.

As for how to express opinions, using "I think", "I feel", or "I believe" usually seems to achieve the goal.

You tested for viruses? What method did you employ? Qualification is relevant and hardly fluff. If I said it was because I am a Biologist that I know better, that would be an appeal to authority logical fallacy. However, that is not what I did. It was to explain that I actually have access to labs in which I can test personal samples at will, which I do. Hence, there is no handwaving when checking for disease.

Baoh

Not gonna take sides, but Boah, you may want to reread the five words after your first instance of bolding Bridgette's text, her original argument was surrounding multiple health disorders. You may have just overlooked it due to your will to disprove a specific claim, it happens.

Anywho, as far as chain stores go, my sample size is far from large (three purchases). First was a relatively healthy baby, and she's never had health problems (the runt of a dozen, she was 7g). The second was a healthy looking, if skinny, juvenile (maybe 18 g? idk). The third was my most recent adoption (4.0 g) and obviously rail thin with a tail to match. Before it's said, I know that was a bad idea please don't condemn me for that just yet. In all this time I visited three different ****, a ****, and smaller, local store. I only purchased from the ****, twice by my school and once at home. I also have a good friend who works at one near home and he provides very good care for his leos especially at the one he works at, though he knows this is not the case all around this chain. The store mentioned by my school is generally decent in their selection, all the animals are relatively healthy (if lacking what we consider proper care). Their tails are usually just fat enough to constitute average health. However, this most recent trip was a horror. Several we had seen before the holidays had died (as they were quite skinny to begin with) and the ones who hadn't or hadn't been sold were sickly (except for one who looked as though it may be 10+ g) This was in the same 9'' by 10'' enclosure as the 4g leo we came home with. The disparity in sizes was enough to make me cringe, but then so was the feces that was in the water dish as well as the food dish (which didn't contain food as the crickets were chewing on the face and tail of the two leos, literally smooshed (though alive as they had buried themselves) beneath the single, bright hide. Though all the other leos scampered at the movement, I vaguely recall one not moving as if asleep or other. Even to the touch he felt a bit off, perched in the "tree."

The point of this horror story is that even a chain that tends to right by their animals (the leos in the tank with my first girl were very happy and healthy looking and this was around November) they can also do quite a bit of wrong (as shown by the leos described).

It really is up to you Cola. You probably already bought that leo by now, but let me see if I can help you choose which is most appealing to you. If you want a leo that you may be able to breed (with a better knowledge of his/her lineage) in the future, it may be wise to go with a breeder. If you really just want a pet, it may be a better idea to go with the local pet store (provided you choose a healthy looking animal, what I did was bad). If you plan to breed, sharing may be a poor decision if you decide that your breeding plans don't call for a certain gecko and you wish to find it a new home to create space/free up cash/trade for specific genetics, but someone else is still more attached emotionally. If not, then by all means cut back the cost. Have fun with your new little one.

PS. (knock on wood) all my little ones are doing well, the ones who were doing poorly are improving. The little one may have just needed the dark.

I paid full attention. I addressed the portion I considered to benefit from address.

Any type of seller can do right or wrong by the animals they sell. Breeders and pet stores alike.

Lickin

Want I want EVERYONE to do is: If you ever are in a big chain store with sickly miss treated animals PLEASE tell corporate of that chain. Most of the time they are going to respond. Any pet chain doesn't want to be known for not taking care of pets. If customers of said stores speak up the company will have no choice but to respond. They are, after all publicly traded companies. Help the animals!!!! Don't stand for poor treatment of any animal at a pet store. Plus talk with your local human societies. They will most likely have more contacts available to make complaints about store animal cruelty. I have seen individual stores have bad husbandry, but please don't take that to mean all stores locations are like that.

mindgamer8907

It's ok, I don't meant to come off as attacking you. I was just trying to help both parties on that first statement, I trust you friend.

I apologize for not stating the same about breeders as it may sound as though breeders are always perfect, which we know not to be the case. I will say this as well for **** at least. My friend who works at the one near my home told me that though the pets are generally well taken care of when a pet dies within the (shudder) warranty they take the pet back and exchange it for a new one. When the pet is ill and you jump through all the hoops to get the free 14 day medical attention, the store's policy is apparantly to take the animal (as long as it's small enough) and seal it up and put it in the freezer and give you a new one. The store then collects from the breeder for whatever the negotiated amount is per "defective" animal. I'd be willing to call and verify whether or not this appears in the "handbook" and isn't just some sick local rule of thumb. I know this incriminates the breeder as well, I just figured it'd be helpful for everyone to know.

So yes, you are right that stores and breeders can be at fault whether it a sale through the breeder or through the store. Dot your ''i''s and cross your ''t''s, always request a picture or inspection(if possible) of any animal you wish to take in. Hopefully that is a more fitting and fair response. Let me know what else needs to be amended if anything.

PS. Lickin, I have tried that and corporate didn't seem to care at all. Neither regional corporate, state, midwestern corperate, nor national gave two hoots about my complaint that their animals were being mistreated by being housed on calci/vita sand, that several showed signs of things like mbd or other improper care (mind you this location had been very up on their animals prior to this incident). The only thing that showed me they cared any modicum was that they took my call... and continued to transfer me through the different levels of corporate until I got fed up with their statement that they provided only the top quality vet approved products, and care methods etc etc. I agree though there really is a store to store and moment to moment (within each store) change in how well the animals are cared for.

PPS. That last post script came off harsh. I just was frustrated by their garbage every time I called and had to give up.

Baoh

It's ok, I don't meant to come off as attacking you. I was just trying to help both parties on that first statement, I trust you friend.

I apologize for not stating the same about breeders as it may sound as though breeders are always perfect, which we know not to be the case. I will say this as well for **** at least. My friend who works at the one near my home told me that though the pets are generally well taken care of when a pet dies within the (shudder) warranty they take the pet back and exchange it for a new one. When the pet is ill and you jump through all the hoops to get the free 14 day medical attention, the store's policy is apparantly to take the animal (as long as it's small enough) and seal it up and put it in the freezer and give you a new one. The store then collects from the breeder for whatever the negotiated amount is per "defective" animal. I'd be willing to call and verify whether or not this appears in the "handbook" and isn't just some sick local rule of thumb. I know this incriminates the breeder as well, I just figured it'd be helpful for everyone to know.

So yes, you are right that stores and breeders can be at fault whether it a sale through the breeder or through the store. Dot your ''i''s and cross your ''t''s, always request a picture or inspection(if possible) of any animal you wish to take in. Hopefully that is a more fitting and fair response. Let me know what else needs to be amended if anything.

No worries. I did not take it as an attack, as I have no emotional investment in any of this.

I just wanted to clarify why I mentioned specific portions, as the original portion of the original statement I took issue with is no different than stating that most leopard geckos at big chain stores are missing all of their toes and buying from a breeder would ensure that does not happen. Similarly, most pet store leos do have their toes and some leos from breeders, for a number of reasons not always related to improper husbandry (accidents, breeding fights, etcetera), may be missing toes. The one doesn't create a likely state of failure and the other does not guarantee a state of success. That is all. I have no problem with any person. Simply the exaggerated expression stated as fact, but based on belief (for whatever reason - it does not make a difference to me), is what I find errant. To state such a thing with reasonable confidence, a large sample of random pet store leos would have to be properly tested. Otherwise, there's little in the way of real evidence to support such a claim.

I think your take on the state of stores is accurate, by the way. I have no love affair with stores. Likewise for breeders. It just is what it is and calling it something else is incorrect, so I said my bit with regard to that.

I appreciate your input.

I am curious about the test methods used by xkissmyhorsex to assay for viral infections, now, though. I happen to work on many projects, including vaccines, phage displays, and viral vectors. I use viruses, viral transfection, and viral replicon assays, among other things, to do a portion of my job, so it would be interesting to see what was found and how it was found.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
as for your statement that one does not create a likely state of failure and one does not guarantee success is mind boggling to me. basically what that says to me is that you being a breeder put yourself, your geckos, and your husbandry methods on the same level as large chain pet stores. i pity you and your customers if that is the case.

Your prejudice against pet stores does not constitute proof that they all mistreat their animals.

Baoh

I have tested multiple chain pet store leos and other animals for various medical issues and illnesses including, but not limited to, parasites, bacterial infections, viruses, vitamin/mineral dificencys and other medical issues

Have you tested them or haven't you? It is the difference between saying I built my house and saying I had my house built for me. You said you tested them. You either did or did not.

I went to Veterinary school.

So you should know what my "fancy" words mean, then, right? They are common terms of the trade a veterinarian should have some familiarity with. Vets typically study Bio or undertake another adequate pre-Vet major in their undergraduate programs before going to veterinary school and the exposure at least occurs at that level with additional training beyond that. PCR, electrophoretic methods, and various micro techniques should be familiar on at least a broad level. So why do you not know?

First, you said you tested them. Then, it seems you didn't. First, you said you went to Veterinary school. Then? Did you?

This is not personal for me, so please do not get upset. The first claim you made was opinion, yes, but was not stated as such, so I took issue and have already well covered that matter previously in this thread. I then asked about methods for testing for viruses since you said you tested animals for them, but you then say you don't know what they are. A Vet would. Why is that?

Baoh

Hey everyone, just a friendly reminder to keep on topic, and leave out any personal jabs at anyone. Thanks. ;)

I apologize for any ill feelings. I was originally just trying to deal with the myth that pet store leos are primarily ill by default. I am no champion of any place or person that might practice poor husbandry. There's good and bad in a variety of sources as I am sure you know.

As for the testing claims and the Vet school statement, well, something seems to not add up and I am happy to let the poster make things lucid for me.

I'd rather discuss ideas.

Gregg M

Registered Member
I notice a trend with people talking about parasites... The large majority of reptile in captivity have some sort of parasite load... This is a fact... I bet that if anyone here had their geckos tested there will be some sort of parasite found if the proper tests are done...

Things like parasites and impaction are not the things that kill reptiles in captivity... Poor husbandry kills reptiles in captivity... There are pet stores and breeder that have poor husbandry practices... In contrast, there are MANY breeders at pet stores that practice proper husbandry...

Like everything else, individual breeders and pet stores should be looked into before you jump and make a purchase...

Baoh

I notice a trend with people talking about parasites... The large majority of reptile in captivity have some sort of parasite load... This is a fact... I bet that if anyone here had their geckos tested there will be some sort of parasite found if the proper tests are done...

Things like parasites and impaction are not the things that kill reptiles in captivity... Poor husbandry kills reptiles in captivity... There are pet stores and breeder that have poor husbandry practices... In contrast, there are MANY breeders at pet stores that practice proper husbandry...

Like everything else, individual breeders and pet stores should be looked into before you jump and make a purchase...

Indeed.

What many people do not realize is that a parasite that kills its host, unless part of an intermediate step, is an inferior parasite. Most parasites are minor and opportunistic, only overtaking a host if other aspects fail. With that said, reducing load is another key to good husbandry.

Visit our friends