The egg that didn't make it *WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTOS*

JordanAng420

Today, the egg that was sweating for 3 days started to mold. So I knew it was time to chuck it. Nevertheless, my curiosity got the best of me, and I had to see what was inside. One of the eggs didn't develop at all. The other one, however appeared to be almost fully formed...and black and white. This hatchling was from my hypo tang x raptor, so it was either super premature or I have something else going on. Anyways, I know some of you would probably like to see what was inside, so here ya go.

This picture shows how large the head was compared to the rest of the body
001-2.jpg

Looks like the yolk sack was absorbed :(
002-5.jpg

A side view
003-2.jpg

Well, i'm not as upset as I was before. It is a shame. But hopefully I have a few more chances. I have two more gravid females.

This was a first time breeding for this gecko. Anyone know why it might have been black and white in color, rather than the normal "tang" hatchling colors?

Khrysty

I had a lot of trouble with my eggs last year. Those that did hatch, did so with a myriad of problems..most of them caused by being premature. My preemies were also black and white..with red eyes. I'm sure it wasn't hidden genetics, just a lack of pigment development from being so premature. I bet that's what happened with yours as well.

Gregg M

Registered Member
That animal does not look premature to me... Especially being that the yolk sack has been absorbed... Looks as though it did go full term but was deformed... Looks almost like an extreme case of dwarfism to me... Although black and white, the pattern looks well developed... Not faded like premie colors...

Well atleast you got some other gravid females... I am sure things are going to get much better for you...

JordanAng420

Interesting that you say that...the female that laid the eggs IS rather short, at about 5 1/2 inches, but she's really fat around her belly...Now that you mention it, she DOES remind me of "Spider" a little bit....I wonder...

What do you think caused the color change? Do you think both parents have unknown hets? That would freak me out, and suprise the heck out of me...

Thanks for the responses.

Khrysty

I didn't really look close enough (I was getting ready for class)

It does look more dwarfish, than preemie. You said the dam looked a tad stunted? Could we see a pic of her?

JordanAng420

Sure. Here she is, compared to the top of my hand. Part of me thinks she's normal looking, but the other part just thinks there's something wierd...Oh, I would feel so terrible if she turns out to be a dwarf. Definately no more breeding for her!
004-3.jpg

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
I'm sorry to hear about that hatchling...maybe it wasn't directly dwarfism, but some other congenital gross dysplasia...it could just be a massive chromosomal error.

I have no idea if this is a good analog, but there's spondylothoracic dysplasia, cephalic disorders, that sort of thing. I don't know that you'd ever be able to pin down the cause as genetic, environmental, or just plain unlucky fluke...

I hope the rest of this mama's hatchlings are hearty and hale for you, complete with voracious appetites!

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
p.s. As an afterthought, did you treat the mom with anything like antibiotics recently?

p.p.s. I would say whatever caused the anomalies here is likely related to the coloration. My wild guess is that this might be a form of anerythrism that is incompatible with life, or that there's an extra or missing chromosome that affects coloration as well as form...

JordanAng420

Thanks for all the insightful input, lilith! No, she was not treated with anything recently. I'm thinking along the lines of, like you said, some type of congenital dysplasia. Regardless of what it is, it scared the heck out of me, and she will be getting a break from breeding for a while.

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Wow, Maia. Im so sorry that it happened like that! However, this thread is very insightful and eye opening and I really appreciate the learning experience with hatchling malfunctions. So, even though it was hard for you, thank you for sharing.

Visit our friends