The fertility has returned!!!

SFgeckos

Congrats!!

"At that point, I started making a paste every night and rubbing a good amount of it on her face, forcing her to lick it off. I monitered the temps in the cage and made sure they were stable and correct."

Paste? I'm a bit confused...

Jon

JordanAng420

Congrats!!

"At that point, I started making a paste every night and rubbing a good amount of it on her face, forcing her to lick it off. I monitered the temps in the cage and made sure they were stable and correct."

Paste? I'm a bit confused...

Jon

Well, she started refusing dusted insects. Just wouldn't eat them at all. So instead of dusting, i'd take a small amount of powder, mix it with a few drops of water and made a paste. She seemed to enjoy cleaning her face much more than eating dusted crickets. So that's how I supplemented calcium daily.

SFgeckos

That's not abnormal for most reptiles to stop showing interest in food several days prior to egg laying. Although now that you've made me think about it, I'm not exactly sure why that happens (I'll look into it when I have free time!). I know during the early stages of most animals that are pregnant/gravid, hormonal levels of leptin are elevated, increasing the desire to eat and store fat reserves. Interestingly enough, pregnancy is unique because it is "leptin resistance". Normally if leptin hormone levels are high and there is increased fat content, leptin exerts feedback on the hypothalamus to decrease appetite and food intake. But usually prior to egg laying/giving birth, reptiles show decreased or no interest in prey items but each individual animal varies. I've had some snakes eat a rat, then lay eggs the next day, or on the extreme opposite- I've had gravid snakes not eat for 4+ weeks prior to egg laying?

Reptiles are strange creatures indeed =)

Jon

Last edited:

roger

Hey jordan

I had to laugh my rear off when i read your initial thread.I'm going through the exact same thing.i'm an expert when it comes to dud eggs LOL.My raptor just laid 2 eggs last night and i'm not sure if there good.i will candle them tonight as i;m holding my breath.Last year only one egg made it.i was leaping for joy handing out cigars like a proud pappa LOL

Visit our friends