GeckMom

Hello everyone! I hope one of you will be able to help me out as I don't have a reptile vet near me. I took them to the closest "exotic vet" which had no idea what to do. So I have two Leopard geckos which we will call A and B for privacy reasons. Both geckos are roughly 4 - 5 years I believe (bought them in a pet store a few years ago). Gecko A is pretty healthy, nothing out of the ordinary as her tail is hefty and no visible signs of distress. Gecko B ( my first gecko which should be slightly older but only by a few months : again pet store could have them be the same age etc) has quite a few problems. To start, she does eat but it feels like she never gains weight. I have tried calcium powder with their meal worms, crickets etc. but no luck. She is VERY small for her size both length and weight wise. Her arms and legs (and tail) are what worry me the most as she looks so frail. She eats fine, moves fine, no problems there. However, the second issue is what caused me to take her to the vet in the first place. She has always had some vision problems but now her right eye was SWOLLEN and crusted over. I took her to the vet and left with antibiotics (which helped the swelling go down and eye drops which didn't do much) but the vet wasn't sure what to do and didn't feel comfortable performing surgery on her. Her eye went down (they are severely crusted still leaving her blind but we aren't sure what is underneath so we try to to touch it too much in case of a ruptured eye. It has been an ongoing issue that doesn't seem to bother the gecko much as she has adapted but I still want to help her. The last issue with her is the most recent. I noticed this a week or two ago, it went down, but it is now back. Right under her tail underneath the base (near her butt/ genitals), it is swollen and she keeps licking it. Not dramatically large yet but getting there. I am not sure what to do without causing her discomfort. Again, she acts healthy but physically is not. My set up includes a 20G Long tank, a fabric mat (one you buy at the store) NOT SAND because its harmful (they have never had sand), a day/ night light, heating pad, temp/humidity monitor, one rock hide, and another leveled hide, and two water dishes (the water evaporates so quickly because they are shallow), and I feed them meal worms with tweezers. Both geckos live together in the same tank (both female as far as I know), but they get along perfectly so I haven't needed to separate them. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips. I am really worried about her but the vet hasn't been much help. Thank you so much! - Attached below are a picture of her right and left eye, size comparison to hand, and swollen part under tail

Attachments

• IMG_8559.jpg
    IMG_8559.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8553.jpg
    IMG_8553.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8552.jpg
    IMG_8552.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8544.jpg
    IMG_8544.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 15

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, that's what I mean. Right now the picture just has a view from the side and it would be good to see it from the bottom.

Aliza

GeckMom

This was the best picture I could take, I didn't want to hurt her

Attachments

• IMG_9438.jpg
    IMG_9438.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 10

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm not a vet but I would wonder if it could be a tumor or an infection. I know you haven't had great experience with the exotics vet but I wonder if that vet could do a biopsy (take a small amount of tissue from it) and/or take a good picture of it and send it to another vet to look at.

Aliza

GeckMom

It looks like her skin got stuck when shedding and got a little infected but isn't going down yet

Bliss13

Her vent appears plugged which can cause impaction as stool can't come out properly. I know this was a couple months ago but hopefully you got it unplugged. Also her eyes are a result of conjunctivitis and stuck shed. They appear quite severe and she may not gain her vision again. How is she doing now? any updates? I would not rely on that vet again as he doesn't seem to know much about leopard geckos unfortunately.

Visit our friends