Bio-active substrate!!!

slayer

Space: Naturalistic enclosures generally are required to be larger than sterile setups. Considering the size of my leopard gecko colony(and the fact that I prefer to house animals singly), I can't really see setting up 50+ aquarium-type cages. I would really love to hear more about how this is working out in a rack system.
..................... The only major issue iv had is keeping the humidity/moisture levels in check. Its very easy for them to get WAY too high if the tubs do not have enough ventilation.

Breeding: Finding eggs. The biggest issue I see here. Although providing a seperately regulated nesting area is an idea, in tubs using a bulb as a heat source is going to be very difficult. And I really would rather not have to dig up the entire tub just to find eggs for incubation. Although this would be simpler in a single animal setup(you could simply check obviously dug burrows) it's still a bit more complicated than I would like. This is also the issue many people have with cresties in these types of setups, as they will bury eggs just about anywhere since the appropriate temps for maintenance are also appropriate for incubation.
......................... For the most part Ive never had much of an issue finding the eggs. My females always tend to nest in the same general area (On or just off of the "hot side", in soil temp gunned in the low to mid 80'sF at a depth of 4"-8") despite having a more "conventional" nest box/humidity hide provided. It never takes more then 5min to dig the eggs up. Hope some of this info helps you out Ted.

PhilipM111

Hey greg,

i found your thread on google whilst looking for bio active soil and i must say your idea is pretty interesting.

Im picking up a royal python on saturday, it will be housed in a 50L rub (for now),

im wondering if i will be able to use your method on the python?
also will i need to include hides or would the snake create one for herself?

Last edited:

Chibii

A Bright Reptile
i am sure that this question is already asked, but to be sure. Does any bio active setup stink? If it is maintained.

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
i am sure that this question is already asked, but to be sure. Does any bio active setup stink? If it is maintained.

If properly setup, there shouldn't be any smell. My monitor tank is a mix of dirt, washed sand, and cocofiber. There are substrate mites here & there, a few mealworm beetles & probably a rogue roach or two. It has two live planted pothos in there & if anything, just smells earthy. A clean dirt smell. And the humidity hold pretty well, I only water the plants every couple weeks.

Same thing with my Fire Skink tank, minus the plants & dirt. He's just in a sand/ coco fiber mix. Although he tends to catch the rogue roaches when they've buried themselves.

Jade Icing

I know a few people that use this method. I don't think it would work for me renting an apartment and all. Not sure they would like that but I do want to try it down the line some day.

Visit our friends