Obama wins Nobel Prize

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
Are you serious? Wow... Can i come up with ideas then not get them done and still win the Nobel Prize? For crying out loud Nobel should be rolling in his grave for this being given out. How about taking the money for the "peace prize" and giving it to research for like water fuel cars or something that is actually useful? I mean the dude did invent Dynamite. So how can his name be attached to a Peace Prize?

snowgyre

A pre-emptive Peace Prize? Are you joking? Has the world become so devoid of those who have earned the prize that we must start awarding it for work in queue, not for any actual accomplishments? In that case, anyone who prays for world peace should be a peace prize winner.

I am extremely disappointed with this decision and I think it severely marginalizes the efforts of former Nobel Peace Prize winners.

Halley

Lets just count ourselves lucky he didn’t read speeches out of physics or bio book, he would or he would have won in those areas as well. :main_laugh:

malt_geckos

Don't Say It's Impossible
I am just upset for the people who have done so much and deserved the prize. The Nobel Prize comity just made a joke out of a great award.

herpnewb12

Ok I feel like I have to come in on this. I spent the summer working for an organization that works with Nobel Peace Laureates, and has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. I spent years in high school involved with this organization too, and talking with this people, while it's a shock, by no means are they disgruntled in any form about it. Nobel Peace Prizes aren't always about what you have done, but what you can do. They are given sometimes as a tool to further empower people. While you might not like Obama, or the left, or any related policies, etc., his election has brought us back to like-able terms with the rest of the world. Obama is one of the most liked and accepted leaders in the world, and that kind of power and attention gives him more leverage to accomplish things in the world. In the circles I frequent, this was seen more as a lead up to a call to action, not just in the US, but in the world. What Obama did to mobilize voters during his campaign has not been seen in a long time. This prize gives him so much more potential to become an even more influential global leader. You might not like him, but he's brought the US back onto the world's radar. Foreign relations under Bush were horrible, and by the end of his term, world leaders refused to talk to him, or anybody working for him and waited until Obama took office. And while yes, it's the committee that chose him for the prize, the people who can nominate people are a select group (http://nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/nominators.html). His nomination might've come late in the running, but obviously somebody saw that he has potential. So while you might not agree, at least in this sector of his presidency, give him time. I know that I keep an especially close eye on foreign affairs, and in the short time that he's been president, there's been an amazing upswing in both how the world see's us, and their willingness to interact with us.

F

FarinaGecko

What does it say about our country when the President wins an award and citizens actually complain? I always find it funny that Republicans wave that flag until a Democrat gets in office LOL.

nevinm

Moyer's Monsters
incredable andy. i love it. your post was absolutly outstanding, i was begining to feel like the only one on this forum that was backing obama

herpnewb12

Thanks Nevin. Being a part of Model UN, then being involved with this other organization I am (and a few others on the side), international politics are important to me, and I'm way more into them than US politics. They're so much more complex and indepth. And regardless of how you feel about Obama, it's important to be aware of what this enables us to do in the world, with the world, and for the world. I also sorta have to laugh about what people on the other end of the spectrum are doing. A lot of these people were the ones that were all about unquestioningly supporting the president up to last year. According to all of them patriotism was unquestioning support of the country, it's policies, and it's leaders. Now it isn't because somebody else is in office? International relations are something that take years to develop, and can killed killed in a minute. My political standings are odd, but I still feel it's time to step beyond partisan politics, and start looking at what's good for the people living next to us, down the street, the next town over, and across the world.

nevinm

Moyer's Monsters
again well said. i especially like this part

I also sorta have to laugh about what people on the other end of the spectrum are doing. A lot of these people were the ones that were all about unquestioningly supporting the president up to last year. According to all of them patriotism was unquestioning support of the country, it's policies, and it's leaders. Now it isn't because somebody else is in office?

i think its funny how when we went to help with things like the sunami we were still the bad guys. hopefully he cna change alot

Visit our friends