Profits???

Magic Merlin

Ability to make a profit- yes that is possible

But IMHO that much of peoples success has to do with their reputation. If your name is out there and you have great reviews from people then your more likely to have animals bought from you. Also quality animals plays too. Also if you can raise your own feeders will help you in the long run with profiting from breeding, which i am working on doing for myself.

Everyones profit is individual and no one will have the same profit as someone else.

Personally this is just my hobby if i can make some money back to put back into my geckos then im happy. i love breeding my geckos no matter if i make a profit or not. i love seeing little itty bitty screaming baby geckos lol.

Well said. :main_thumbsup:

dprince

Mod Squad Member
"Breeding" and "selling" are 2 separate things.......I have not produced even 1 of my own geckos yet BUT I have bought and sold enough to be in the black. .

Can I ask your name then? I'd like to be able to address you by name, and I'll be watching for your sales ads. I am certainly open to learning from someone with as much success as you have. :) Congrats on being in the black just by buying and selling animals - I assume you have included the costs of all of your racks, equipment, electricity, feeders, etc. in your estimation?

My knowledge base comes from a lifetime of breeding and selling different species and let's not forget that my day job is running a organization revolving around sales. Everything I have posted has revolved around the art of the sale and not putting all your eggs in 1 basket by selling 1 product.

I'm curious what has drawn you to leopard geckos? What other species have you bred and sold?

I am only offering words of encouragement to people who are sick of being told that something is not possible or a business model is not viable.

Which business model are you referring to? I haven't read one post in this thread (please show me if I've missed it) that dissess someone's hopes or dreams of making a profit, or tells them it's absolutely not possible. So far, I've heard people who actually have actually been breeding and selling leopard geckos sharing their experiences.

Instead of dragging others into your private hell how about you bounce ideas and experiences you have had off each other and together you both can learn and be more successful.

What private hell are you referring to? :main_huh: I thought this thread was about posting experiences and bouncing ideas off of each other (like breeding your own food, using solar to help with power, etc.) You appear to want to start fights - is this how you feel you earn a good reputation to help you sell geckos? Is this part of the excellent customer service you state you have? :main_huh:

Over the last 35 years of breeding and selling various species of reptiles, dogs, and cats I have seen countless established breeders go out of business because they were stuck in self destructive behaviors and were unable to adapt to a changing market.

I'm impressed that you've been breeding animals since the age of 4 (since your profile states that you're 39.) You certainly seem to have a lot of experience. What sort of "self destructive behaviors" and inability "to adapt to a changing market" are you referring to? Being specific about what those statements mean would certainly be a lot more helpful to less experienced breeders, such as myself.

I have another random thought, if everyone utilized their own experiences and got the word out to the general public, I 100% believe that not only could we take business away from the big chain stores but also expand local reptile shows by 10 fold within a couple of years.

OK, we ARE using our own experiences which - if I'm understanding you correctly - is what we should do, as long as it doesn't talk about any negative aspects of breeding or selling.... correct me if I'm wrong.....:main_huh: HOW would this take away business from big chain stores? HOW would this expand local reptile shows? I'm truly curious to know, as I'd like to be part of it.

For what it's worth, the whole point I've tried to make is that with animals, breeding, selling, and making money is NOT simple. It's absolutely possible - I'VE SAID THIS EVERY TIME - but not without numerous pieces of a puzzle falling into place. Some things, we have control over. Some - not so much. I've tried to be respectful and not smash anyone's ideas, or dreams about making money. I certainly don't feel as though I dragged anyone through "my private hell" by sharing my truthful experiences. I apologize to anyone who felt that I did that - I'm truly trying to be helpful, and not hurtful, in sharing my experiences.

Part of my "problem" in not making a profit is turning around and putting the income generated back into various breeding projects, new equipment, etc. I imagine if people stopped producing such amazing animals, I'd be able to keep more of my income for myself..........:main_laugh:

herpman97

You've never met Nigel then. ;) Well, he's 15, but still.........he's an amazing kid. And an amazing salesman. :main_yes:

Who's Nigel. I myself am 12, but I'm probably not going to sell for much. (Super Snow Blizzards for $50)

Magic Merlin

Can I ask your name then? I'd like to be able to address you by name, and I'll be watching for your sales ads. I am certainly open to learning from someone with as much success as you have. :) Congrats on being in the black just by buying and selling animals - I assume you have included the costs of all of your racks, equipment, electricity, feeders, etc. in your estimation?

I'm curious what has drawn you to leopard geckos? What other species have you bred and sold?

Which business model are you referring to? I haven't read one post in this thread (please show me if I've missed it) that dissess someone's hopes or dreams of making a profit, or tells them it's absolutely not possible. So far, I've heard people who actually have actually been breeding and selling leopard geckos sharing their experiences.

What private hell are you referring to? :main_huh: I thought this thread was about posting experiences and bouncing ideas off of each other (like breeding your own food, using solar to help with power, etc.) You appear to want to start fights - is this how you feel you earn a good reputation to help you sell geckos? Is this part of the excellent customer service you state you have? :main_huh:

I'm impressed that you've been breeding animals since the age of 4 (since your profile states that you're 39.) You certainly seem to have a lot of experience. What sort of "self destructive behaviors" and inability "to adapt to a changing market" are you referring to? Being specific about what those statements mean would certainly be a lot more helpful to less experienced breeders, such as myself.

OK, we ARE using our own experiences which - if I'm understanding you correctly - is what we should do, as long as it doesn't talk about any negative aspects of breeding or selling.... correct me if I'm wrong.....:main_huh: HOW would this take away business from big chain stores? HOW would this expand local reptile shows? I'm truly curious to know, as I'd like to be part of it.

For what it's worth, the whole point I've tried to make is that with animals, breeding, selling, and making money is NOT simple. It's absolutely possible - I'VE SAID THIS EVERY TIME - but not without numerous pieces of a puzzle falling into place. Some things, we have control over. Some - not so much. I've tried to be respectful and not smash anyone's ideas, or dreams about making money. I certainly don't feel as though I dragged anyone through "my private hell" by sharing my truthful experiences. I apologize to anyone who felt that I did that - I'm truly trying to be helpful, and not hurtful, in sharing my experiences.

Part of my "problem" in not making a profit is turning around and putting the income generated back into various breeding projects, new equipment, etc. I imagine if people stopped producing such amazing animals, I'd be able to keep more of my income for myself..........:main_laugh:

Hey Debbie, nice try but I am not going to be baited into continuing this argument with you. Alot of what I was posting were overall generalities and only 1 or 2 points may have applied to anyone here specifically. I spend all day training and motivating a room full of accomplished salesmen and that is hard enough......in all fairness, sales training techniques are all geared to the individual you are training so, if you want help, come to a Dallas swap meet so I can see you in action.

As for your other questions, I think books by Brian Tracy or Anthony Robbins will be very helpful.

OH!!!!.....I almost forgot....I am 39 and my family has been breeding and showing dogs for the last 90 years, so basically I was incorporated in their daily maintenence since the moment I could walk.

dprince

Mod Squad Member
Hey Debbie, nice try but I am not going to be baited into continuing this argument with you. Alot of what I was posting were overall generalities and only 1 or 2 points may have applied to anyone here specifically. I spend all day training and motivating a room full of accomplished salesmen and that is hard enough......in all fairness, sales training techniques are all geared to the individual you are training so, if you want help, come to a Dallas swap meet so I can see you in action.

As for your other questions, I think books by Brian Tracy or Anthony Robbins will be very helpful.

OH!!!!.....I almost forgot....I am 39 and my family has been breeding and showing dogs for the last 90 years, so basically I was incorporated in their daily maintenence since the moment I could walk.

And your name please?

Gregg M

Registered Member
I am 39 and my family has been breeding and showing dogs for the last 90 years, so basically I was incorporated in their daily maintenence since the moment I could walk.

First, breeding show dogs can not be compared to breeding reptiles... They are much different in pretty much all aspects of the trade...

Second, Being a great salesman does not mean you will do well in every trade... Selling reptiles is not like selling stocks or vacume cleaners...

What you are saying about being able to give good customer service and everything else is just a small part of being able to make a profit in the reptile trade...

In order to make a lot of sales to the point where you are making a good profit you need to be reputable... You need to be KNOWN for taking great care of your breeding stock and you need to be KNOWN for selling high quality reptiles... You have to be KNOWN for having great customer service and for resolving issues if they come up...

The reason I am making KNOWN stick out so much is because if you are not KNOWN, it is hard to sell reptile period, never mind make a profit... Usually it takes many years of not making anything before you can become a trusted name especially in the reptile trade... There are many shady cats in the reptile trade and buyers are very causious about who they buy from...

You can throw a sales pitch that will knock my socks off but if you are not stocking what I am looking for and I do not know who you are, I aint buying...

There is much more to this trade than being a good salesman... You need to have knowledge about what you are selling, you need to have a great reputation in all aspects of the trade, you need to be honest (lets face it, most salesmen tell you what you want to hear to make a sale and its always the truth), you need to be innovative, you need to stock what people want, you need to have time to properly care for your reptiles, And you need to be KNOWN!!! And like I said in my previous post, you need to spend a lot to make a little...

Mike, I would love to see your profit margin after two years of breeding reptiles... When the two year mark is up, let us know how you did... It aint as easy as you think...:main_thumbsup:

And being a salesman, you should know that flipping reptiles is not a good way to make a profit... Also by flipping animals you can not stand by your product because it is not yours... I can not and will not put my rep on the line for someone elses reptiles... That is why I do not flip them... I make my own...

Last edited:

Landen

LSReptiles
Why is this topic such a heated debate? Correct me if I'm wrong but we are all enthusiast and do this because it's our hobby first. If that's not the reason why you breed then in my opinion you may possibly be part of the problem. I breed these animals because I love to handle them, care for them, enjoy them, and make new amazing leo's for others to enjoy! Now I'm in sales for a living so naturally I want to make money too. Alot of this market for our animals is based on reputation, quality animals, good sales, and each individuals market. I my self have only done some local shows, but have been fortunate enough to have success so far. This has come from many different factors all coming into alignment. I have met some amazing people that share the same love and desire that I have with my hobby.

Now getting on this forum and starting arguements, degrading others, or responding with hostility as some people do is probably not going to help build any positive reputations.

I'm just here to talk leo's and learn from those more knowledgeable.

KelliH

I have a passion for leopard geckos but this is a business for me. Yes, I have obtained some level of success but it is certainly not something that happened in one year, two years, three years even. It took a lot of time, money, hard work, etc. It took many years to build my business and build the reputation and the trust my customers have in me.

I am NOT a great salesperson, I am not good at marketing. There is just so much more that goes into being a good and successful breeder of any animal. In my opinion.

Landen, for the most part we are (and I mean herpers) are passionate and to a certain extent eccentric. You know this because you are one of us! :) Heated discussions and debates are actually (again, in my opinion) a healthy thing. As long as we can do it without resorting to insults it's all good my friend.

Magic Merlin

First, breeding show dogs can not be compared to breeding reptiles... They are much different in pretty much all aspects of the trade......

Without the internet I bred burmese, rock, and reticulated pythons and redtail boas for years and was responsible for producing 100k + feeder rats per year......I think I am qualified to back up my arguments.

This thread is not about me or my qualifications, it is about someones ability to take a hobby and at the very least make it pay for itself......maybe if you leave your egos at the door and look at what I have previously posted without emotion you might discover something useful. "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink"......I am done beating my head against this wall.

P.S. Landen, the success you are seeing is not luck, I look forward to hearing about your pets at our next show. :main_thumbsup:

Magic Merlin

I am NOT a great salesperson, I am not good at marketing.

Kelli, I get excited just thinking about how much more successful you could be if you improved your salesmanship and marketing.......in my head, your possibilities are endless and I want to be there helping you take your business to the next level and learn what worked and did not work for you and then sample those same techniques with my method of doing business to see if I get different results. Move over Ron, their's a new sheriff in town.....and I think they have proper names for their gecko morphs. (banded, striped and jungle are not patternless). ROFLMAO

goReptiles

Why are you being so rude and condescending? No one is saying that you can't make a profit. Just saying that not as many make a profit when compared to those who breed.

Their is not a 13 year old on this planet that can outsell me or any breeder that I grew up with.

I never said that. I just said there are tons who think they can make a profit. It's not all about you, ya know?

['There' is not (by the way)]

Last edited:

Gregg M

Registered Member
This thread is not about me or my qualifications, it is about someones ability to take a hobby and at the very least make it pay for itself...

You are right, it is not about you... But aftrer your comment about breeding all those species, I am VERY curious as to what your name is... Certainly someone with your success in the reptile/large constrictor industry would be very well known... I would certainly, at the very least, would have heard of you...

dprince

Mod Squad Member
Greg,

I have left my ego at the door so therefore my name is irrelavant. I owe a lot of my success to the late great Lee Watson.

If you had really left your ego at the door, you probably would be a bit more receptive to what people are saying to you. That doesn't mean you have to agree, but you probably would be a bit less defensive and confrontational.

Your name and reputation are EVERYTHING in reptiles. And in the other animals you and your family breed - particularly dogs. What breed of dogs do you breed? And again - why not tell us your name? That alone seems very questionable. Especially since customer service is the cornerstone to how you believe you will make money in this industry.

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
I was wondering what was going on in this thread.

Mr. Merlin, please try to hear what people are saying. If you wish to be recognized in the herp breeding community, you have to let people get to know you and see what you have to offer. Think of it as the first step in your business plan. You would need to make contacts, etc. This is not an industry where you can get mailing lists and send out XXXXX amount of promotions and get xxx amount of sales. There have unfortunately been a lot of dealers who variously flip animals; who may be less than reputable; who have flat out defrauded some very good people. If you are in sales and business, you understand every industry has certain demographics and a certain amount of politics to it.

I see other posters here trying to explain to you how to take those first steps and you don't seem to be receptive to that. You may very well have some wonderful marketing ideas that could benefit the breeding game in the long run, but if you don't introduce yourself first, or be polite, you are burning your own bridge before you have even approached it.

Maybe start over with a different tone and you will find more receptive ears.

I'd love to see your snake portfolio. I don't keep them myself; but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate their value and aesthetics. Do you have a link to a site you've made, or even a photobucket album, so we can see your past projects? Which shows do you vend at? I would really love to see, and I'm not being facetious at all...

Good luck on your endeavors, all of them.

Last edited:

Magic Merlin

No ego means no need for self validation. I made my mark on this industry before the internet even existed so all my deals and sales were made with a handshake. Maybe if the moderators stop picking fights with people they could spend their time more productively.......like analyzing how to become profitable. This thread is about whether or not a person has what it takes to be successful or is willing to do what it takes to turn a profit and NOT ME......I do not want any of you to be concerned with who I am or the friends/breeders I have made over the years......quality sells itself. Please stay on topic and do not referrence me directly, only the concepts that have made my peers a healthy living.

KelliH

Kelli, I get excited just thinking about how much more successful you could be if you improved your salesmanship and marketing.......in my head, your possibilities are endless and I want to be there helping you take your business to the next level and learn what worked and did not work for you and then sample those same techniques with my method of doing business to see if I get different results. Move over Ron, their's a new sheriff in town.....and I think they have proper names for their gecko morphs. (banded, striped and jungle are not patternless). ROFLMAO

I'm not sure how to reply to this except to say thanks for the offer of help but I think I am doing ok on my own. :)

Gregg M

Registered Member
Ok Magic,
It is a bit suspect that you will not give up a name yet you dorp one...

Anyway, I see you are working with super hypo tangerines... Why not give us an example of how you would market that morph to make more sales than an already reputable breeder who has those same animals for sale that my be equal to of better than what you have to offer...

Also, I see not fight picking here... Just some questions you will not answer...

Last edited:

Visit our friends