EricCartman

I'm cleaning my leopard gecko's enclosure, and I want to know what the best sand substrate to use is. I have blue sand currently in her enclosure (I think it is called vita sand). When she walks around her feet look blue from the sand which I think is funny, but I want to know what sand is safest for her. I'm not sure if it is the best/safest option out there, so what sand substrates are better/worse than others? Or what other substrate is easy to use with an under tank heater and looks nice as well?

Bliss13

I personally use slate tiles. No risk of impaction. Incredibly easy to clean. Looks great. Warms up great with heaters and keeps heat retained. I bought mine at a Floor and Decor store for 4 bucks and just cut them to size.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The best sand substrate is no sand. If your gecko is an adult and you feel that you must use it (in the wild, leopard geckos live on hard packed earth, not sand dunes), the safest substrate is play sand. I also use tiles. The ones I use are ceramic tiles which are a bit less heavy than slate.

Aliza

ZNature

If you want that natural look, you could go with eco earth or your own safe dirt mix (research the right mixes) You could even go as far as a bioactive setup. Sand really isn’t worth the danger of impaction. I also have used paper towels or kitchen cabinet liner which are cheap and easy to clean.

Visit our friends