A little disappointed...

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I joined this forum to learn, and ask questions before I started breeding my geckos. I have yet to start, and had plans to start in 2012.

Since I've been asking questions, I've been getting A LOT of "sass" from other forum members. Not everyone, some have been quite helpful. Others seem to be applaued that I have plans to breed, since I know 'so little'.

Yes, I'm a newbie to this. Maybe I've made some mistakes...but you we're all in the same situtation I was in at one point. I was looking for help, as a responsible person would do, before pursuing anything further.

I'm very dissapointed with some of the answers I've received for some people here. I didnt come on here to be patronized or talked down to. I was under the impression people on this forum were a community out to help each other.

Thank you for everyone who has been kind and helpful.

For everyone who hasnt been decent - youre not a help to geckos. You scare people into not asking questions. Without asking questions, mistakes are made and the geckos are the ones who suffer.

I didnt want to jump into this without any knowledge about gecko genetics, and I was hopeful that I could get help from this community....please dont prove me wrong.

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
You need to understand that there is a lot more than simply putting two geckos together and letting them make babies. Sure, they WILL make babies, but chances of the babies not being what you were hoping for are almost a definite when jumpIng in so quickly. 2012 is a few days away and breeding season begins in just over a month. That is nowhere near enough time to learn what you need to learn. Jumping in like you want to is also very likely to lead to unhealthy babies, unhealthy Leo's, and unhappy you. Just listen to what we have to say and stop taking everything as negative. Just because it's not what you wanted to hear, does not make it incorrect.

JordanAng420

I think we are all on a little bit of defence due to the state of the economy and/or the state of the reptile hobby in general. We are constantly defending our hobby against people who are SO uneducated, and therefore get the wrong impression...these wrong impressions leave impressions on other people....etc, etc, etc. We try our best to keep our lineage as clean as possible.

You are correct, this IS a forum and we are all here for each other...however, we are all entitled to our opinions, sugar coated or not. This is not the hobby for people with thin skin.

That being said, if you truly want to pursue this hobby, PLEASE don't let any one person or people discourage you from it. We encourage you to ask questions and to LEARN from them.

We are always willing to help, if you are willing to help us help YOU.

I wish you good luck, and many many healthy babies! :)

Wolvenspawn

I joined this forum to learn, and ask questions before I started breeding my geckos. I have yet to start, and had plans to start in 2012.

Since I've been asking questions, I've been getting A LOT of "sass" from other forum members. Not everyone, some have been quite helpful. Others seem to be applaued that I have plans to breed, since I know 'so little'.

Yes, I'm a newbie to this. Maybe I've made some mistakes...but you we're all in the same situtation I was in at one point. I was looking for help, as a responsible person would do, before pursuing anything further.

I'm very dissapointed with some of the answers I've received for some people here. I didnt come on here to be patronized or talked down to. I was under the impression people on this forum were a community out to help each other.

For everyone who hasnt been decent - youre not a help to geckos. You scare people into not asking questions. Without asking questions, mistakes are made and the geckos are the ones who suffer.

I didnt want to jump into this without any knowledge about gecko genetics, and I was hopeful that I could get help from this community....please dont prove me wrong.

I will just say this is a community of many opinions and expertise. There are those here who are very seasoned and others that are not. You should never be afraid to ask a question, though in my opinion you should never ask a question you might not be prepaired for. I'm sorry you see some individuals as taking a bash at you. I personally believe that the do have the geckos best intrest in mind. Perhaps more so them then the do for so many individuals that come on here and try and start weith breeding with the biggest newest thing.
I myself am trying my hand at breeding as well. I have done lots of research and still have much to know and learn. and perhaps one day I can contribute more to what I do know. Though I am starting my breeding with perhaps I can say advanced basics. lol... I have a pretty decent line of different Mack Snow combos, raptors, a few blizzards, and some tangerines and sunglows. I have a few enigmas as well all females. All of my geckos to the best of my knowledge are either trempers or have no hets (such as my normals to the best of my knowledge) for any albino strain. I look at it this way breeding from a more basic gene pool per say allows you to learn to be a responsible breeder while still learning more so that in the future you can mix and add more complex genes to create the wow gecko. Me I am happy with whatever comes my way because I love them all. But I would rather try improving a line before going helterskelter with it. Plus you never know even with the so called older morphs there is still plenty that can come out of them. You never know what you'll have till you do.
So all I can say is take everything in as food for thought. What you consider good and the bad. Please don't take everything so personally. Keep your chin up and do what it is you plan to do and that all things take time and patience. ;) Happy breeding!

Jamie

Last edited:

Taquiq

JK Herp

I appreciate that you are asking questions, but you should really get used to Leopard geckos before you jump in to breeding. Most people wait at least a year or two before breeding, I personally waited three. Learning care techniques, genetics, and more about these animals comes from experience, not something you can just pick up after a few weeks or months of owning leos. I'm glad your taking the time to learn and understand these animals, just wait a year or so to gain experience and learn more.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
As a moderator I see this ALL the time and I try to give everyone the same advice. When you're new to any forum try to do as much searching and reading you can before you ask questions. Leopard gecko newbies tend to have the same questions and those of us who have been here for a while honestly get tired of answering them over and over.

Posting about a lot of very controversial topics off the bat can also give people the impression that your a troll. You'd be surprised how many new members sign up every day just to spam and troll the forum!

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
Also, this Murphy patternless that you plan to breed in 2012 (the one you thought was a blizzard, and therefore thought would be enough to create diablo Blancos with lol) appears way too young to be ready for breeding in 2012 ;)

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
For the record; I am pretty sure I didn't do it this time.

Although I really really wanted to, because I suspect this is that troll who was all over Marcia last month. Still, it wasn't me.

KelliH

I'll repost what I posted in the other thread-

Katie, I am glad you are here on GeckoForums asking questions and trying to learn. We ALL were beginners once (and many here still are), and we ALL still have much to learn about leopard geckos. I respect the fact that you are reaching out for advice here, and I hope that you will continue doing that.

It really bothers me that some of the people that are being so critical of your questions have never even hatched a reptile, much less a leopard gecko, or have only been breeding for a season or two. I find that to be quite hypocritical and rude, and I also think that some need to take a step back and think about what they post and how it was not very long ago that they were asking similar questions here.

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
KelliH said:
really bothers me that some of the people that are being so critical of your questions have never even hatched a reptile, much less a leopard gecko

Kelli, if you're referring to me when saying that I do apologize if I upset you with my comment in that thread. I admit that I shouldn't be discussing the hardships of breeding when I have never even done so myself. My intentions were not to be critical or the OP, and I apologize if I came off that way.

KelliH

Kelli, if you're referring to me when saying that I do apologize if I upset you with my comment in that thread. I admit that I shouldn't be discussing the hardships of breeding when I have never even done so myself. My intentions were not to be critical or the OP, and I apologize if I came off that way.

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. I was just expressing my opinion in general. :)

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
I'd like to reiterate what Maia said, the past year or so there has been a whole slew of new people joining up, breeding immediately, crossing albino strains, asking basic husbandry after breeding first, those sorts of things. Plus, the leo market crashed with every other market, and is just now making a recovery.

So a lot of us really are on the defense for our hobby. Sometimes a little too much so. There's a fine line sometimes between trying to help newcomers and enabling irresponsibility.

Katie, by the tone of your posts you are articulate and curious, and assertive.
All of these are good traits for here. Just try to take some of the sharper jabs less personally, sometimes the people giving them aren't really that further along in experience anyhow.

You've met Seamus. You'll most likely grow to appreciate him, even with his signature brusqueness. Sometimes I think some of the problem is that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; but that others don't quite pull off the brusque with the thoughtfulness and wit intact.

I hope you stick around and learn more, it's pretty fun here once you get to know us more. Good luck with your future projects. =)

Last edited:

KelliH

I'd like to reiterate what Maia said, the past year or so there has been a whole slew of new people joining up, breeding immediately, crossing albino strains, asking basic husbandry after breeding first, those sorts of things. Plus, the leo market crashed with every other market, and is just now making a recovery.

So a lot of us really are on the defense for our hobby. Sometimes a little too much so. There's a fine line sometimes between trying to help newcomers and enabling irresponsibility.

Katie, by the tone of your posts you are articulate and curious, and assertive.
All of these are good traits for here. Just try to take some of the sharper jabs less personally, sometimes the people giving them aren't really that further along in experience anyhow.

You've met Seamus. You'll most likely grow to appreciate him, even with his signature brusqueness. Sometimes I think some of the problem is that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; but that others don't quite pull off the brusque with the thoughtfulness and wit intact.

I hope you stick around and learn more, it's pretty fun here once you get to know us more. Good luck with your future projects. =)

Excellent post lillith!

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
You've met Seamus. You'll most likely grow to appreciate him, even with his signature brusqueness.

I am an equal opportunity mean spirited bastard. It's rarely personal. I think every person that has ever come to interact with me positively has a similar story about our first meeting.

Dimidiata

I remember my first meeting…..good times. ;)

Oh yes -___- im still new too. I have an utmost respect for seamus though, bastardly attitude; maybe. True in what he says and the fact that hes hardly wrong; fact. This forum can be tough. There are a ton of higher up breeders and keepers with their own strongly held opinions. For someone with 0 info on the subject to come and ask a question, they get bombarded with opinions(and fact) and it scares the living heck out of you >>>has been there<<<. Once you can come to grasp whos who and who you think would be wise to take advice from this forum becomes much more fluent. I love it here, its rare for any forum to have such knowledgable people capable of providing such amounts of info and of course, helping insure the happiness of so many reptiles. Soem people may argue with you and thats that, BUT no one person (aside trolls) want to do any harm what so ever. They discourage you from breed right now because your right, they have all been in this situation and some of them wernt so lucky to have this forum. They want the absolute best circumstances for you and your leo. I plan to wait atleast 3 years before trying anything myself. Learning genetics and being able to recall certain crosses of the top of my head , is a goal of mine. I think from what ive seen your asking all the right questions, your not being ignorant like other new members have been recently and your certainly not a troll. However that may be what has us all ready to go for the throat on here, that troll threw everyone onto the suspicion train, where im sure we have all suspected one person or another of being part of the troll circle. We need to just drop it though, our concerns should not affect our posting, suspicion should be reported to a mod decently and any troll should be left to the mod squad to handle. Honestly, it shouldnt be us members concern and certainly shouldnt be upsetting the forum so. I think everyone here has posted in this topic because they all care about you and the gecko, we all want you here, no arguing that. Now, becuase ive been lured on to the forum today ill end it with a have a great week everyone and hope to see you around kate. (ive been away for a little while on family business)

Visit our friends