Hybrid animals...

Deko Gecko

I dont know much about this topic, I just want to know what people think about breeding diferent kind of animals together? I know that cresteds can be paired with a chihuahua Gecko , Right? What do you think about this topic?:main_robin:

Srt14292

Est; 1992
I posted a thread not too long ago on the burmaball, a burmese python with a royals colours, It was the size of a burm and I thought really nice, I mean if we can get the morphs out of burma balls that we have with royals it could be mega.

Olimpia

La Española
well, hybrid animals are fine in general. They tend to be infertile, so it's not something that would ruin the species of either parent. And there certainly are advantages to breeding two species together, as in the case of the mule. You can get stronger animals, for example.

But between geckos? Can you imagine a crestie-leo hybrid? lol

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
keeping hybrids where, if one escaped, it could interbreed with the local population is irresponsible and really an ecological/taxonomical disaster waiting to happen.

Our precious leos are hybrids; a mish-mash of scrambled genetics.

hybrid vigor is an interesting phenomonon and could result in some very large, fast-growing animals.

Chewbecca

www.ellaslead.com
I know that there are people who have bred Cresteds and Saras together and the offspring CAN reproduce.
So, do not think that just because they are hybrid they cannot reproduce. Maybe a lot of them cannot, but some can.

And I think in the case of Rhacodactylus geckos, it's NOT something I like.
I want my crestie to be a crestie, my chahoua to be a chahoua, my leachie to be a leachie, etc...

robin

keeping hybrids where, if one escaped, it could interbreed with the local population is irresponsible and really an ecological/taxonomical disaster waiting to happen.

Our precious leos are hybrids; a mish-mash of scrambled genetics.

hybrid vigor is an interesting phenomonon and could result in some very large, fast-growing animals.

our leos are sub species crosses not hybrids. hybrids are completely different

robin

when you cross a different species, they are hybrids.
I do not know about sub-species or how that works.

I don't...really get the whole sub-species thing anyway.:main_laugh:

when you breed subspecies say a fasciolatis (or however you spell it) and an afghanicus together that is sub species cross. just like breeding a boa constrictor constrictor to a boa constrictor imperetor.

breeding a burm (Python molurus bivittatus) to a ball (python reginus) is a hybrid just like crossing a carpet python with a green tee python.

robin

oh yeah and there are also what are called locality crosses as well, but they are not hybrids.

BalloonzForU

I'm not a big fan of true hybrids, but I have found a very few to be pretty and/or interesting looking.

Now can someone get them to stop crossing all the dogs, I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the purebreds!!

robin

I'm not a big fan of true hybrids, but I have found a very few to be pretty and/or interesting looking.

Now can someone get them to stop crossing all the dogs, I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the purebreds!!

some of the carpondros are awesome looking but i do not agree with hybridizing.

the only hybridizing i agree with is the naturally occurring that happens in nature. the only reason i am ok with it is because it is natural.

captive hybridizing is like making Frankenstein animals and screwing the already screwed gene pool.

BSM

sub species is not hybridization, sub species are like a different local of the species that has adapted over time to fit the needs of that particular area. A Bengal tiger breed to a Siberian tiger for example is an inter grade within the species, while a on a reptile level a woma python x a ball python is a hybrid as there not the same species,look completely different and there are many differences between the two but im not going to go in that.

For example i had a few different hybrids in the past like the argus x flavi and the argus x flavi x goludi and then can still breed together or with the species of both parents which leads to problems as it gets hard to tell what is what after 2 generations.

* different species above + a sub species)

i beg to differ; they are considered hybrids when you're working with new caledonian giant geckos at the very least.

Again sub species are basically just different local animals and breeding them is not bad and gives some genetic diversity within the group but when dealing with a limited group they disappear in time and have a mix of the 2 locals. I'm mainly a monitor person and alot of this is discussed when dealing with different sub species and breeding, the problem with alot of these sub species is there Austrian monitors and AU doesn't allow export and what we got is what we got.

There are some people that are purists and consider any crossing of different locals hybridization and that's fine its just there views and not based on science. This was brought up in a conversation with a guy in AU who goes crazy when he sees people crossing carpet pythons of different locals (jungle carpets from Sidney to jungle carpet from Queensland). Its the same species bred to the same species from a different local and they feel it is wrong because it took thousands of years to get those particular traits to adapt to that particular environment

PS what i just said isnt towards anyone as i know someone may take it personal some reason

Bryan

cassadaga

Oregon Rainwater
I agree with Robin on this. It's likely that subspecies of E. Mac. often overlap habitats in the wild, and probably occasionally interbreed. I would not consider an Afghan crossed to a Fascio a hybrid.

Visit our friends