Photos: Gravid Female vs. Ovulating Female

robin

this female should be laying in the next 5 days

egg2.jpg

this lady should be laying in the next couple of days

egg.jpg

you can see how much difference between how visible the eggs are from the one that will lay in about five days versus the one that is going to lay in the next couple of days. weight plays a factor as well on how visible the eggs are. notice the pinker than normal cast on the skin. you can see it better in the first photo. hopefully i can catch one of my females ovulating and post photos then. if some of you guys have problems seeing the eggs i will circle them for you. just let me know

* note * the way i am holding the female is very easy and safe. make sure you hold the tail sorta close to the base (but not too close, like where the fattest part of the tail is) and make sure she has something to put her from legs on, like your hand or a table or whatever.

i hope this helps some of you guys :)

Last edited:

Vegas_Eric

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing those pics with us.

1. - Can you please post some pics of an ovulating female, so I can see what pink
spot I am looking for.

2. - Aren't you worried your leo's are going to drop their tails when you hold them by
the tails like that?

StopperExotics

I handle mine like Robin has in the photos, as long as you're gentle and your animals are capable of handling it (you'll know, depending on the attitude/personality of your gecko).

robin

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing those pics with us.

1. - Can you please post some pics of an ovulating female, so I can see what pink
spot I am looking for.

2. - Aren't you worried your leo's are going to drop their tails when you hold them by
the tails like that?

i have handled them like this for years. i have yet to have one drop their tail when holding them like this. just be gentle. if they start to wiggle around a lot just put their butt down.

i have no ovulating females right now but i will have some soon, next time i have an ovulating female i will take photos and post them.

also you can see in the second photo as they get closer to laying the other organs in the body become more visible because the eggs are pushing them around.

Last edited:

robin

Sorry I couldn't take better photos, but the bathroom lighting sucks.
...What'll it look like if you hold a flashlight to her back or side?

if you used a flash light in the dark it will illuminate the tummy and eggs but also fat storage too. honestly, it is easier to tell this way (the normal way. not by illuminating the tummy)

Last edited:

robin

Yes! Can you post pics of ovulating females?

i do not have any ovulating females right now. i did however talk to kelli and ask her to take some photos of ovulating females. she said she would post them as soon as she has time. she will post them in this thread.

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Awesome sticky for those who need to know! This will be helpful =]
I have one that looks just like the female who is going to lay in a few days...
Aka, mine is about to pop! I think she will lay them tonight, she is already digging around in her laybox =]

SoLongOldBean

The Bean
if you used a flash light in the dark it will illuminate the tummy and eggs but also fat storage too. honestly, it is easier to tell this way (the normal way. not by illuminating the tummy)

Oh, I know that, and though it would be interesting to see what it looks like, I wouldn't (need to) use that method to see how far along she is, I just think it would be cool to look at.

KelliH

Just to add to this thread, below is a photo of an ovulating female. You can see the pink colored circular shape in the abdominal area? That's a sure sign of ovulation and the right time to introduce your female to a male. :)

ovulation.jpg

Gecko_Jay09

Addicted to reptiles!
wow great pics :)
I'm pretty sure my female SHCT will lay soon, and shes barely left the laybox! Either that or shes eggbound...but surely there would be obvious signs of stress/pain if she was right?
Jay

Visit our friends